Diabetic Runners

Help with meter choice (Read 471 times)

Hey all. Got some materials from my insurance company. It seems as if they worked out a deal with manufacturers to provide clients with free meter upgrades. They are offering me a choice among the One Touch Ultra 2, the Accu-Chek Aviva and the Accu-Chek Compact Plus. Any recommendations from the community would be greatly appreciated. I've been using the same meter, Bayer's Ascensia Elite, for years and it still works fine. But it would be dumb to pass up a freebie. Thoughts any one?? Undecided ps - Keep in mind, I may just start hitting the roads again. Does any one of these stand out to be a better carry along?

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I've never used the Accu-Cheks you mentioned but I have used older models (Accu-Chek Advantage is the most recent one). I currently use the One Tough Ultra Smart. I've always stuck with Accu-Chek or One Touch meters, and overall like the One Touch ones a little better. I don't know exactly why I like them better but it seems that they're usually less bulky and take less time but that could be just the models I've had. I love my Ultra Smart, and use it even though it won't communicate with my insulin pump like the meter that came with the pump. I think the Ultra 2 is the updated version of the Ultra, which I liked just fine until I got the Ultra Smart
        Thanks, Stacie. Question: do the One-Touch meters use traditional lancets or do the test strips contain built-in lancets? John

I have One Touch Ultra 2 - uses regular lancets. I like that you can code before and after meals as well as about 9 other things like exercise, stress, illness...It's small, but not tiny. I like the shape, easy to hold.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Thanks, Stacie. Question: do the One-Touch meters use traditional lancets or do the test strips contain built-in lancets? John
            I've never heard of test strips with built in lancets! Who makes those? The one touch test strips come in a flip-top bottle, and the lancets are just like any others I've seen.
              Maybe I was just dreaming. Thought I either read somewhere the development of lancet/test strip combos or maybe someone else told me. Nonetheless, this helps.

John - not dreaming - thought I had heard of something like that as well prototype

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

I am leaning toward the OneTouch Ultra 2 meter at this point. My Dr recommended an older model a couple of years back but the insurance wouldn't buy it back then. Now they will.

Every once in a while I read something about continuous glucose monitoring. Even though a user may still need to pin prick for accuracy, sure seems like it would help a lot. But oh the price!. Ordered the One-Touch Ultra today so I will have a new toy in about 10 days. As a person who likes gadgets (PDAs, MP3 players, cell phones, etc.) a new meter puts at least a little "fun" into the process of living with diabetes. Wink

Got my new Ultra 2 today. Whoopie. 5 seconds instead of 30! This is only my second meter. What do pp generally do with their old ones?? just toss them?

I usually keep one old meter as backup, and just throw the rest in the trash.
                          Never thought of the back up plan. The way I lose PDAs and cell phones (especially off the top of my car) I am surprised I haven't lost my meter.