Diabetic Runners

Question of the Week #3 (Read 268 times)

What vices do you have that are a detriment to your running and/or your diabetes? They can be things that you will, more than likely, continue to do no matter what (like my coffee consumption and little sleep), or things that you hope to, one day, rid yourself of. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Diet Pepsi. I drink way too much of the stuff

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I'm fairly sure I drink too much coffee than what would be considered good for me as well, although maybe not in the same leauge of consumption as intherunning. I don't think that the doctor's would be too happy with my Gunniess intake either, but I am and that is all that matters.
          Spideog, I hear the coffee over your way is traditionally brewed a wee bit stronger than here. Is that true? How strong do you make it. I like it any way possible; black, cream only or with lots of flavor like cinnamon, vanilla cream etc. but of course, strong. The big mug of strong vanilla flavored coffee I have in my hands at the moment is my reward for doing a 6 miler (10K) this morning when I really would have rather stayed in bed. Hmmmmm! Hey, Starflight! I own Pepsi stock so bottoms up!!!!

For me it is cheese and crackers along with some sausage. Eating cheese and crackers is like eating pizza, does wonders for the blood glucose Evil grin. To counteract that I have some wine with it, the alcohol burns the glucose, to make sure I use enough, I get a buzz; if you know what I mean. Big grin Now I feel like I've been to confession. Joe
            Age is not an illusion
              What vices do you have that are a detriment to your running and/or your diabetes? My nemesis is "french fries" from our many chip trucks in town. They are bad for my diabetes and weight maintenance but probably good for running. I haven't tried running on them as I don't like starting my runs on a high BS as I experience greater drops when I do a run at a high level. If I start at a lower or normal BS I am getting insignificant drops. I discovered that I can make my own healthy oven version of french fries. I cut my own new potatoes spray with a bit of canola pam spray and shake them in a bag with spices. I (75%) cook them in the microwave and finish them on broil in the oven. I now like them better than the fries cooked in fat and have better BG readings but I still have to portion control my consumption and eat them with a lean protein but I am not taking in any fat and cut the calories in half. As my runs get longer I hope they will become a good pre-run meal.
              WHO FARTLEK"D ?

The voice of mile 18

I've got a sweet tooth and it's just bad. I do ok fighting temptation but I really can't even try a slice of bday cake or a piece of halloween candy or it's just bad news. but the big temptations are the spur of the moment buys - the soft pretzels, peanut M&M's, or anything Peanut Butter by the checkout. and I drink a ton of coffee

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I'm surprised about the M&M's as I read the peanuts provide fat and protein making it a moderate glycemic food. I have not experimented with them yet. I can understand the cake and candies. Perhaps it was the plain chocolate M&M's. I will have to make a point to experiment with them. I love them too but stayed away from them in order to lose weight.
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                    I hear the coffee over your way is traditionally brewed a wee bit stronger than here. Is that true? How strong do you make it.
                    In the absence of any form of scientific proof that I'm aware of for the strength of the coffee this side of the atlantic, I'll just go with the fact that I think my brother finds it a bit on the strong side now when hes back home after being in Washington for the last 15+ years. But I also do like it strong by our standards as well, and thats before we start any talk of adding whiskey to it as well. Big grin
                      I also do like it strong by our standards as well, and thats before we start any talk of adding whiskey to it as well. Big grin
                      Hmmm! I like the whiskey idea. Here is an opportunity to make my vice even more so!

Mark_C

Chocolate... Roll eyes
                          Pizza. I LOVE pizza. And Donatos makes one I CAN eat and stay in my BG window. Alas in mid June they closed shop in Columbus and the nearest one is now 30+ miles away

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

New goal for you...run to the pizza joint! 30 miles is a hike so you might want to arrange a ride home.