Diabetic Runners

New member: Itfitz (Read 276 times)

itfitz

Howdy! I'm a 41 year-old dentist in San Diego, diagnosed in June 2005 with type 1.5 diabetes (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood). I've been on a CoZmo pump since Jan 2006 and love it. I'm an avid runner -- I've run 8 marathons and a 50k ultra (in Iceland!). Highlights: running two marathons in two weeks (1999); running an ultra and 3 marathons in 12 weeks (2001). My most recent marathon was a week before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I'm getting the marathon itch again and would love to get as much advice and help from you all as I can! Thanks for a great site and a great group! Itfitz
      Welcome, itfitz. I too am a 1.5. I'm still putting out enough natural insulin to maintain things through diet and exercise. However, things are beginning to slip I suspect as my last couple of A1c tests were definitely higher than in the past. It's to be expected. We've got all types of runners in this forum. Some casual and some, like yourself, quite serious. I am struggling to get back into it after 30 years of running and now walking daily with my wife. The forum has been a bit quiet as of late. It is listed among the "training forums" because that is how we started; with a few of us who were serious about getting our running programs going. It is now a combination of training and socializing. So anything goes here. Training, diabetic questions, gear, food, mood swings you name it. Welcome aboard! John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

The voice of mile 18

howdy! an ultra! in ICELAND!! that is sooo cool! i want to do a ultra someday but despise the marathon (guess I just want more cool points)

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy