Diabetic Runners

how often do you do intense workouts (Read 369 times)

The voice of mile 18

I get into a rut of endurance (slow and aerobic) stuff and think it shows with my blood sugars. when I throw in intensity stuff (short or long intervals) my blood sugars really improve only problem is too much i bonk or burnout but think pushing my limit a little bit will definitely help my sugars and my runnning times. just curious how many hard workouts you guys/gals do a week if any?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

1 interval workout - usually on Wednesdays... typically will be a total of 3 miles of intervals with recovery jogs. Today I'm doing: 3000 @ 1/2M pace 2000 @ 10k pace 800 @ 5k pace 600 @ 5k pace 1 mile wu/cd with 90 sec. recovery jogs. Friday I'll do a tempo run 1 mile wu/cd with 4 miles @ half marathon pace... at least, that's the plan. Tempos are my weakness and many weeks that will be the 1 workout that I abandon at the mid-point - turn off the tempo and shift to easy running. To avoid the bonk, I'll have 45 g. of carbs with no insulin 1 hour prior to the workout, though I typically find that's about what I need for my easy runs, too. Now when I cross-train on the bike, that doesn't burn nearly as many carbs.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

jpnairn

straw man

1 track/interval workout per week. Sometimes it is hill rpeats. 15 minute warm up 4 X 100 meter "strides" Strides or accelerations: start out jogging, gradually, get up on the balls of your feet, striding out, speeding up, to the end of 100 meters where you should be moving at close to top speed. The point is not to sprint 100 meters, but to gradually loosen up and get used to moving faster. Whatever intervals we're doing, also usually in the neighborhood of 3 miles of speed work. 4 X 100 meter strides again 15 minute cool down tonight we are doing 3 X 1600 meter intervals with a 400 meter jog recovery between them. Depending on the workout, I sometimes do not turn my basal rate down for track work. The intensity of shorter intervals can drive my blood sugar up. You have to learn what works for you.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry