Diabetic Runners

Taking care of our feet! (Read 208 times)

As diabetics we need to concern ourselves with the parts of our bodies we use the most--our feet. Keeping your eye on them for small cuts and blisters should be a routine for us. The toe nails should be carefully trimmed so to not put pressure against the front of the shoe. We should be careful not to run in damp shoes following a long sweaty run the day before or following a rain. For that reason I have two pair of the same make and model and I alternate days with them. Our socks should of a soft seam-less variety. Our shoes should fit well. The point is, there are days I would really love to get off the pavement and hit the trails. I would love to just be able to run the soft shoulder of some of the roads my courses take me, but I'm not sure it is worth the risk of small stones that invariably get into my shoes during off-road runs. With the onset of neuropathy in my feet, the doctor has warned me to be very careful to not get cuts or blisters. I have lost just enough sensitivity in my feet that I'm afraid I may not notice a small stone which could cause a cut. There is an upcoming race in September just a few minutes from my house where 40% of the race is on trails. Boy, would I love that...and I may just take the risk this time! 20 years ago, there was a system of trails near where we once lived in the Adirondak Mountains of NY. My buddies and I would leave our watches home and run those trails a couple of times each week. The terrain was rugged but those runs were absolutely satisfying. Oh, how I long for some trail running again!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

We have a great system of trails in Brantford. They are well groomed former railway tracks. (fine hard packed small gravel and some paved.) They are ideal for biking or running. Very seldom pick up stones. I pick up more stones running on our highways as the shoulder have looser gravel. So far my feet don't give me much trouble although I am aware of problems that can happen and I check them every morning when showering. Got a huge blister when my power walking increased to over 20k but it healed nicely. As for shoes I have enough from my racing days to rotate every day.I agree that I too like the rougher trails with the odd log to jump over but you have to be careful not to injure an ankle and you need a heavier sturdier shoe.
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        Somthing that I think is quite cool on this site is the logging of our shoes!! I keep two pair active for running and another two pair going for my romantic walks with my wife. By recording our shoe info the log automatically keeps a running toll of their mileage. The typical shoe is shot after 500 miles on the typical foot. Unfortunately, as diabetics, we don't typical feet so I feel compelled to replace much earlier. Also, don't let mileage alone determine when to discard--inspect those soles for unusual wear that could exaspirate over-use injuries.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Yes it really helps me as I have quite a few with some miles on them. I found in the past whenever I had any pains I would suspect the shoes 1st. Try another pair and see if the pain goes away. Try the 1st shoe again to see if the pain comes back. You can't tell by the appearance of your shoe.Most of mine look brand new.I buy my socks at a running store . The kind that wick up the moisture from the bottom of your feet. They are worth the extra money!
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?

The voice of mile 18

oh how I love trail running! really bummed I have to do so much street running at our new house. Also take good care of your toenails. had to sit out 2 weeks after a ingrown toenail got infected and the doc had to cut it out.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy