Diabetic Runners

Running weirdness (Read 344 times)

Armybrat

Okay, this has been going on for a little while, but I've had some trouble pinning it down. I first started suspecting blood sugar issues of some sort in June while depoyed to Iraq. I went from running the five mile course faster than the (male) sergeant in charge of Physical Training, to falling out of the formation run which was only three miles. I figured it was just the heat - Sunrise in Baghdad in June is around 85 degrees, and it's all uphill from there. I got back to the States, and was still SUCKING, just feeling out of breath and weak. Thought maybe it was just getting used to humidity again. Didn't run enough over the winter to notice any difference. But now it's spring, and I'm still not keeping up with the group runs. I was a year ago the fastest female runner in my Company. No longer. I'm still fast for a girl, so no one is paying much attention to my complaints. But I'm noticing a real degradation in my performance. This morning's run I felt weak and ran the second-slowest. My legs were numb afterwards, especially my right knee, my left calf, and the bottoms of my feet. I felt weak all morning - walked slow, felt the need to lean on the wall or sit down until nearly noon. Maybe it's just because it was five miles and some of it was sandy. Maybe I'm just coming down with something, or maybe I just need to get back into shape again. Am I old already at 25? I'm not checking my blood sugar all that often, as I'm only pre-Diabetic. But I'm starting to think there is more to this than merely being out of shape. Any body else run before their diagnosis and notice a definite shift in running performance? I never would have noticed anything wrong with my blood sugar if I weren't already a runner, that's for sure.

The voice of mile 18

what happened at noon that you felt better? did you eat or drink or just snap out of it on your own? if you ate and rebounded I'd bet your sugars were crashing but could be dehydration or if you had a hard day(s) before todays run you could just be beat.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Check you blood!!!! Before and after a run. Before and 2 hours after meals. Have an A1c test too! That is the only way you'll KNOW what is going on and how to correct it. 25 old? Good Gawd I am dead man!!!! My youngest is 4 years older than you!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

You've got to check the blood. There's no way of know if that's the culprit unless you do that. Terry

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Tongue
              WOW! I like your sense of humor! Where were you when I was single? Wink

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

hey, Armybrat. You describe exactly what I experienced with my runs just prior to my dx. It was the fact I knew something was not right, that it was more than just the start up of a new running season, age or the heat that was taking its toll on my ability to exert myself. (Hadn't been to a dr in years.) My advice would be to get to the dr and if you haven't had bloodwork done for a few months, get 'er done. In the meantime, start eating like a diabetic. My goodness, you're only 25!!! You should be running at your peak. Here is what led me to find out what was wrong. '01 long runs averaged 12 miles '03 couldn't get my long runs over 8 and had lower leg pain constantly '04 couldn't run 2 miles at a pokey pace without nearly passing out, leg pain worsened Summer '04 saw the dr and my A1c was over 12 '05 took the year off to just walk and get things under control '06 did a half marathon under 2 hours at age 53 You can become a full diabetic pretty quickly and if your blood sugar is high and you are exercising, you may be producing dangerous levels of Ketones, which is the result of the breakdown of fats with exercise; bad news for the kidneys. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Armybrat

Undecided Yeah, only 25, I know right? I'm a smidge better. But not really by much. The Army does organized runs in formation. I used to be able to keep up with the best of them. No more. Today I not only went bonky, but I started snapping at everybody and was close to tears. Not normal. I got a new test meter (using those disposable Sidekick ones) and really my numbers are fine. But my legs are numb in places when I run, and those places shift around slightly. I can't run sprints or hills worth anything anymore. It's starting to get to me. I'm deploying to Iraq again in the near future, and this time for 15 months. I've been to an Army doc twice, and my A1C is just fine. Think I'm going to just go to a civilian doc. And if he/she clears me, maybe it's something else entirely.

The voice of mile 18

what #'s were you getting on your personal meter if you don't mind me asking? cause your symptons sure sound like low sugars to me.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

what #'s were you getting on your personal meter if you don't mind me asking? cause your symptons sure sound like low sugars to me.
                        Sound like it to me too!! Almost text book symptoms for Hypo!!

Questions: Is this only happening during runs? All runs at all times not matter what you had to eat beofre run? Does eating help after the run?