Diabetic Runners

Diabetic Runners (Forrest's Story) (Read 315 times)

I was diagnosed T2 while I was in the hospital with a stroke.(Oct/05)(52 yrs old) My weight had ballooned to 240 lbs (5’7”) and my blood pressure had skyrocketed. They said my A1C was 8.5 and my cholesterol & bloodpressure was very high. Through a nutritionist and my research on the net I came up with a plan to turn things around. I learned how to eat a portioned controlled balance healthy diet. Low glycemic Carbs, Lean Protein, good fats and lots of fiber. I eliminated refined carbs, saturated and trans fats and started a power walking program. I have now lost 110lbs, my latest A1C was 4.9 and my total cholesterol is 3.01. Best of all I am off all my medication (8) except a low dose aspirin. I have recently started running and I am thinking of training for a marathon (was a former marathoner –ran Boston 2000) and I was wondering if there are any T2’s out there that can offer training and nutrition advise as I cannot find much info on this on the internet. What I am really concerned about is my day to day diet once I increase my mileage. Currently I eat 50% low glycemic carbs, 4 0% lean protein and 10% good fat, tons of fiber and no refined carbs or saturated (or trans) fat. With portion control, I lost all the weight and my BG is under control. When I used to marathon my diet was 65% carbs, 30% protein and 5% fat. I am concerned that this might be too high in carbs once my mileage increases. To lose the weight I started a walking program similar to marathon training. I would walk 10km (6.25 mi) 5 days a week and 15km long walk on the weekend. I increased my long walk by 10% each week ending with my longest walk recently being 35km (20 mi). I have recently added a 1km run per day and a little longer on weekends. (again 10% a week) So it’s going to be quite a while b4 I finally convert all my walking to straight running. I have some concern about having a low during a long run or a race. Have sny onr experienced this? I used to freeze a power bar and break it up into bite size pieces – that would probably work. Are there any symptoms experiencing a low during a run? Is it similar to hitting the wall? (I was lucky in never experiencing this) The night b4 a race I would eat a large carb meal (potatoes & pasta) and race morning a power bar and a banana. It worked fine for me but I think it may be too high glycemic for me now! I used to fill my camelbak backpack with half water and half gaiterade. Will that be safe for me now that I am diagnose T2. I am sorry about the length of this post but I thought my whole story would be important to get good responses. I am sure there are other runners out there that have similar concerns.
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      Hello Forrest, We've spoken before about the balance between our need to keep our sugar as close to normal as possible, even during extreme exercise. It seems the more we exercise, the trickier it becomes. There is always the fear that we will become hypoglycemic. In my own case I begin to feel a little low when I dip to the low 70's and have been exercising. I've increased my running mileage the past two weeks and that, combined with doing a 2 to 3 mile brisk walk with my wife in the evening is causing a need for more fuel. Tonight I began to feel a little low. At the end of tonight's walk, my BG was 71. Here are some symptoms of hypoglycemia to watch for. (Be sure to carry a glucose of some sort with you during long periods of exercise.) Courtesy of http://www.bddiabetes.com - John Mild Hypoglycemia Sudden hunger Dizziness Shakiness Nervousness Pounding heartbeat Drowsiness Sweating Numbness or tingling around mouth and lips Tiredness Moderate Hypoglycemia: Personality change Irritability Headache Blurred vision Confusion and/or difficulty concentrating Poor coordination Slurred or slow speech Severe Hypoglycemia: (these require emergency treatment) Passing out Convulsions Also, another question you had in another post:
      Complex carbs are important to running, and I know runners carb up the night before a race/run for the needed energy, yet as a diabetic I must limit my carbs at each meal. If I were to carb up say on pasta the night before, my BG lever (Blood Glucose) would be waaaaaaaaaaayy over my limits allowed by the ADA and my doctor. And eating that many carbs within 2 hours of the race/run I think would cause other problems I would not want. Any suggestions on how I can handle this?
      Forget the extra carbs the night before or even 2 hours before your run. The old rules don't work in a diabetic world. All we can do is "supply chain" our carbs before and during our runs and races keeping the numbers reasonably within normal limits. (You can start a run a little on the high side and get away with it. Soon into the run the BG will fall.) Our ability to "warehouse" carbohydrates is diminished by the disease.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

P.S. Your weight loss is absolutely incredible! Congratulations. That alone, more than likely, has allowed you to ditch the meds.

Dave, I couldn't resist reviving this old thread you started when you joined. What in the world!!! Look at you go! Over 29 miles this week. I see you joined the half-marathoners forum next door. Haven't read anything over there in a while. Do you have a race in mind? John

Thanks John Yes I am beginning to see a half in my future the way my training is going. I did not join a half marathon forum though. You and Robin have got me thinking seriously about doing the Brantford Half Marathon in the spring. (It's a very hilly & difficult one though.) My weekly milage has increased a little too quickly but once I got to my 10k goal I guess I am feeling motivated. I am hoping to do a 16.6k(10 mile) long run this week (Probably Thursday) as Thursdays and Fridays are my weekends. Dave
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
              Ahhhh. My mistake. Gregg is over on the half marathoners forum. You ought to join it too.

WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  John I have now joined the half marathon forum but at the present time activity is slow there too. Dave
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?

The voice of mile 18

how'd the 10 miler go?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                        Dave, That is some tag line.
                        Age is not an illusion