Diabetic Runners

Lousy Mood Linked to Blood Glucose (Read 156 times)

There is an interesting article this month in Diabetes Forecast magazine that makes a connection between having a lousy mood and blood glucose readings being out of whack. I'm not too sure just how new this news is, but it is definitely real. I know from my own experiences! Most studies connect depression to diabetes but this study (more an observation rather than a scientific study) makes a connection between mood swings and elevated sugar levels, that those who had a grumpy day had elevated BG the next morning. "Realizing that mood may affect blood glucose provides one more reason for trying to reduce stress in our lives." I recognize the fact that our running helps reduce the stress in our day to day lives. But I think we need to be careful. If we become overly obsessed (or discouraged) with our pace or our distances or injuries (real or not) or the bad days we have and forget to just run for the fun of it, could we be adding more stress when all the while thinking we are alleviating it. My running goal for the summer was reached and is now past. Now I'm trying hard to just simply get out there and relax and have some fun. If I miss a day or two, so what. If my pace is that of a snail, fine. If I feel like crap, so be it. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. You know, the adjustment is hard. Doing less miles per week and only running 4 out of 7 days per week instead of 6 out of 7 or 7 out of 7 is driving me nuts. But once I get adjusted to it I hope things will be better. So don't forget to relax and enjoy your running and allow it to reduce the stress in your life. Don't allow it to become just another stress factor that adds to the very problem we are trying to overcome.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Mark_C

Wellll.... :rollBlush get really pissy when I miss my walk!
        Hi Mark, Yes, I understand. I've had a week off now from my running and have not walked too much this week either and I've noticed that my wife and kids are keeping their distance from me! John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I can identify with what you all are saying. I have to walk, run, skip, or I'll holler like heck, kick, scream, quit my job or something.
          Age is not an illusion