Diabetic Runners

Resistance Training and Insulin Resistance (Read 259 times)

An article in the March/April edition of Diabetes Self-Management addresses the effectiveness of resistence training on insulin sensitivity, especially when combined with aerobic exercise; e.g., running. I am curious to know how many of the readers use resistance training on a regular basis, what kinds of workouts you do and how often. I've been trying to encorporate weights into my running and daily exercise regimine for years (to keep the upper body in shape) but could never keep the habit going. Now, as a diabetic, it seems to have additional benefits that I should consider. (The over 50 crowd ought to use it to help fight muscle and bone density loss anyway-diabetes or no diabetes.) John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I've never been able to stick to resistance training like I can with running - or any other aerobic exercise. I just don't enjoy it. But I know it's good for me and I should do it. It really makes my bloodsugars drop, much more than running. I'm not sure if it's because of the aerobic vs. anaerobic thing or if it is because my body is used to running and not resistance training. Either way, it affects my bloodsugars much longer than running usually does.
        According to this article by Sheri Colberg, the greatest effect apparently on blood suger levels is with a combination of aerobic exercise and weights. It suggests adding some upper body weights training 3X/week. I'm like you, I much rather be laced up than lifting things. Maybe if I were to use the log entries on this site, it would be an incentive to follow through with it long-term. Some other suggestions in the article for increasing insulin sensitivity are exercising BEFORE a meal, eating more anti-oxidants, reduce body fat and bad cholesterol, getting enough sleep, eating a healful breakfast and (gulp!) reducing caffeine intake. The implied reason for weights helping with insulin resistence is it helps buld muscle mass, and muscle is the primary burner of glucose.

(The over 50 crowd ought to use it to help fight muscle and bone density loss anyway-diabetes or no diabetes.) John
          Yup - that's why I started, as well as trying to build core strength when I was benched. I just do upper body stuff + squats - primarily with free weights. It's hard to get into it, but once you start making progress - it's fun - but if you don't keep it up - it goes away really fast Roll eyes I have a new internal med doc, and while he says I am OK at my current weight, he would like to see me lose 5-8 lbs if I can. I'm at my cardio limit right now, so I'm hoping more muscle will increase my metabolism enough so that I will just have to tweak my diet a little. Logging the workouts here helps keep me motivated.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Sounds like you and I are in the same club. In fact today is my 54th. Think I will dig out those 3 year old, but "brand new" dumbells that are out in the garage!

Happy Birthday! My DH just turned 54 on the 1st!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Before I was a runner I was a dedicated weight lifter. Then I became a dedicated smoker. Then I became a diabetic, then a runner . . . the point being that I don't find resistance training to be a chore. I alternate weight/strength training with running every other day. Weight training seems to have a dramatic affect on my BG a few hours AFTER my session is over, unlike running which seems to kick my BG down immediately. I do mostly body weight excercises - hand stands (against a wall, of course), dips, chin ups, lunges, squats. I do some dumbells work for my biceps and shoulders and work my legs on the machines - primarily quads and hamstrings. I do a lot of core exercising, too - pushups, sit ups, planks and side planks, leg lifts - all to try to benefit my running. I don't subsribe to the light weight/high rep method. I do reps to "voluntary exhaustion" - meaning until I can't do another one. As a result I gained some weight that i'd been losing pre-diagnosis, but I haven't bulked up. i think it's also helped me avoid running injuries. When I approach my resistance training as a way to become a stronger runner I find my motivation remains high. I feel the resistance training is helping my running and it breaks up the routine of my excercise regimen. That's the long answer - the short answer is 'Yes - resistance training seems to reduce my insulin resistance." Terry Age 51 Type 1 Diagnosed 1/03
                  Terry, Only wish I could stay motivated with weights. At 51 your benefit is two-fold. One for your diabetes control and the other for keeping muscle mass and strengthening bones as you get older. John