Diabetic Runners

A frustrated diabetic runner... (Read 344 times)

The weekend started off wrong – my bloodsugars were very high all day Friday, and even higher through the night. I barely slept Friday night, because I was drinking so much water (high bloodsugar thirst) and getting up every 2 hours to use the bathroom, check my bloodsugar, and take more insulin. I finally figured out why my bloodsugars were so high on Saturday morning, when my insulin pump completely stopped working. I ended up having to go to CVS to get some longer-acting insulin and some extra syringes. My bloodsugars were higher than usual all weekend and I was stressed out beyond belief with trying to figure out how much insulin to take and what to do about my pump (the warranty ran out last year, so they gave me a hard time about replacing it – I’m still not sure what to do). I wasn’t even sure I should run the ½ marathon on Sunday morning, but eventually decided that I’d at least try it. I wasn’t excited the morning of the race like I usually am – I was dreading it. I had to carry my bloodsugar meter, insulin, and syringes in my waist pack/ water bottle holder instead of gel & Clif Bloks, and water instead of Gatorade. I decided to take the race very slowly, even though I knew I had trained well enough to finish in close to 2 hours. I even stopped and waited with my friend in the porta potty line around mile 4, just because she asked me to wait for her. While we were stopped, I checked my bloodsugar; it was 104, so I allowed myself 2 Clif Bloks with caffeine. Our other friend passed by while we were in line, so we decided to catch her. Once we caught up with her, and I knew they would run together, I decided that I wasn’t going to let diabetes stop me from finishing as fast as I could. I knew by this time that I couldn’t make up enough time to get the 2:04 that I should have been able to do, so I aimed to finish in 2:10. The first 10 miles of the Flying Pig ½ Marathon are uphill and the last 3.1 are downhill. I ran reasonably hard from the time I left my friends until I passed mile marker #10, then I went all out. I wasn’t going to let diabetes stop me! My official chip time was 2:08:44, and that’s 10 minutes faster than my best time ever (last year at the Country Music ½ Marathon). I’m trying desperately to be happy to have a new PR, but I just keep thinking about how much better I could have done if I’d had my insulin pump, because I wouldn’t have stopped with my friend early in the race. I'm also trying to decide what to do now. A replacement pump has been delivered to my house (I'm at work), but if I open it and use it, it will cost me $250 if I decide to get a different brand of pump. I am considering a different brand because there are so many options now. When I decided on the Minimed 9+ years ago, there were only 2 pumps to choose from. I've had problems with the Minimed ever since they started the Paradigm series. But if I return the pump that's at my house without opening it, I'm stuck with injections until I can decide which diabetes Dr to see (none in my town, closest town has Drs that I'm not impressed with, and it takes 60-90 days to get an appointment at the University), choose a new pump, and get insurance to pay for a new pump. My head hurts from thinking so hard about these decisions Angry
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stacie, I am not diabetic (though it runs in my family and I have had chronic hypoglycemia issues all of my adult life), so I have no advice to give you. But we spend a lot of time with our area JDRF organization as my hubby is training for his 3rd big 105 mile ride (this year the group from his work is doing Whitefish, Montana). I am amazed at how driven, focused, and strong so many diabetics are--your post simply reinforces my belief that diabetics are some of the most stubborn, amazing folks on the planet! What you have dealt with in recent days would send most of us to the couch in resignation. I think you did awesomely in your race considering the stress you were under and having to cart along all the additional testing supplies. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

sorry about the added stressfrom your pump but handled it like a champ and rocked the flying pig! don't stress too much about your time - you take what the day gives you and you push yourself to do your best and that is what you did and scored an 10 minutes PR! TEN MINUTES that's friggin huge!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Stacie, You're doing great and you did right by yourself to get the insulin and syringes. So take a deep breath and relax for a moment. If you don't like the Paradigm anymore, then don't use it. I can't suggest an alternative because I've only used the Paradigm. Do your research and go for it. Sit down for a short while and figure out your injection schedule. I'm sure you can do it. One method is to mimic your pump settings using a combination of long acting insulin for your basal and short acting for your bolus. It's unfortunate you're so far from a physician, but maybe you can find a diabetes trainer or counselor who can help you by phone for such things as revising your insuling dosing. Even if you don't like the doctor's your with, you should try a phone consult or at least ask them for a referral to a certified diabetes instructor whom you can consult with by phone or e-mail. Keep up the good work. Terry
            Thanks guys, for your support & suggestions! I appreciate having people to vent to who actually understand some of what happened. Here's the update: I was able to get an appointment at UVA (3-3.5 hours from home, but my mom lives there so I have a place to stay if I need to) on July 9. I'm going to use the "loaner" pump from Minimed for the 90 days that they give me for $250 (which will be waived if I end up choosing another minimed pump) while I research insulin pumps and go see this doc at UVA. I wish I could see the Dr at UVA that I saw from the time I was diagnosed until I graduated from high school, but he only sees children.
              Stacie - I am glad things worked out with your appointment. Great race in spite of the pit stop! You really are an inspiration to just taking things "in stride" (if you'll pardon the pun!) Thanks for sharing Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Hi Stacie- Just got back into the country and am reading this for the first time - congrats on the 1/2M, particularly with the stress of the meter! You might also want to check with your insurance company about which pumps they approve... I wanted to leave Minimed last year because I wanted a water-proof pump, but my insurance would only approve Minimed... I'm on the new Paradigm and it works great, but I definitely was annoyed that I didn't have the flexibility to choose. At any rate, ANY pump is better than no pump. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Marcus, Which pump did you want to get? I've been looking at the new Animas pump, but I guess I'll have to call my insurance company today to see if that's even an option. The thing I really liked about the Animas is that, according to their website, they will loan you a pump when you go on vacation. I've got a Minimed Paradigm 515 now.
                    I wanted to get the Deltec Cozmo because (a year ago), it was the only one marketed as being water proof (we're constantly in the water in the summer)... But it was weird... after my Minimed warranty expired, I filled out Deltec paperwork and sent it in and played paperwork games with Blue Cross for two months... they kept rejecting me for stupid reasons. I let the issue alone for a month... had Minimed call them and was approved in one day. I don't have any written proof that Blue Cross plays favorites with pump brands, but I'd bet they do. I will say this, though: Deltec had me do most of the negotiating with the insurance company, whereas Minimed did it themselves... it might not have been who they were, but what they said, too. And again - aside from the waterproof issue, I've got no complaints about Minimed. And when I had pump failures (I had 1 of the first Paradigms shipped in the country six years ago), they got me a replacement within 24 hours.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.