Diabetic Runners

Diabetes + Running = Hypothyroidism (Read 309 times)

This is interesting... it's common knowledge that diabetics are more prone to thyroid problems (I have thyroid disease and had half of my thyroid removed for a benign tumor a few years back), but a new study indicates that heavy running could also be hard on the thyroid. Read about it here: http://www.heractivelife.com/women/comment/hypothyroidism-and-athletes-oxymoron-or-reality/

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

That is interesting! I also have thyroid problems (diagnosed about a year after my diabetes) and take generic synthroid. I wonder how running affects it. The article mentioned that exercise right after taking the med. can change the absorption, so I suppose I should make sure I wait until after I run to take it.
        The article mentioned that exercise right after taking the med. can change the absorption
        The only problem with thyroid meds is that anything can change the absorption... I get so mad when I forget to take it first thing in the AM before I get a shower... for the rest of the day, I'm either exercising, eating or have recently eaten... major pain in the butt, that synthroid!

The only problem with thyroid meds is that anything can change the absorption... major pain in the butt, that synthroid!
          I have the same problem, especially on days why my bloodsugar is low when I wake up and I have to eat right away (this is not uncommon for me!) Angry
            Hypothyroid also makes you more prone to diabetes. It really makes you wonder if there isn't more of an autoimmune connection that just hasn't been discovered yet. Do either of you have partial function of your thyroid - or are you totally dependant on Synthroid? It seems that if you are on Synthroid - you should be able to level out a dose to compensate even if there was some interference with absorbtion - as long as your exercise level was constant. The Synthroid that you take today, will not effect you until 7 - 10 days later. It really is hard to get that timing down. I set an alarm for 5:30 AM take my pill and then wait an hour before eating breakfast. I generally don't have to "wait" much before I exercise - eating then working out doesn't seem to bother me. I don't take any other supplements until after lunch. I'm beginning to think that one of my problems may be fluctuating estrogen levels - estrogen competes with thyroxine - so being totally dependant on Synthroid does not allow for these"natural" fluctuations in my levels. There is still much to be learned about thyroid replacement - and I think the medical community is somewhat naive in their attitude towards Synthroid alone being able to replace the function of a complicated gland that effects every single cell in our bodies.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

I have the same problem, especially on days why my bloodsugar is low when I wake up and I have to eat right away (this is not uncommon for me!) Angry
              Stacie - have you thought about taking your Synthroid at night?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Stacie - have you thought about taking your Synthroid at night?
                I take my multivitamin and my bc pill at night, because they upset my stomach sometimes. Besides, I eat dinner rather late, so I'd have to stay up later in order to take my synthroid 2 hours after dinner. And then I wouldn't get up in time to run before work Big grin
                  sometimes it seems there aren't enough hours in the day to space all this stuff out! Roll eyes Awesome that you get up and run before work!!!

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

re: "Do either of you have partial function of your thyroid - or are you totally dependant on Synthroid?" I had half my thyroid removed for a tumor (benign fortunately) - the other half still does some work, though.