Diabetic Runners

Diabetes kicked by butt today (Read 281 times)

The voice of mile 18

I DNFed my A race of the year yesterday because of mechanical issues but mostly cause my blood sugar dropped out on me. think I may have overmedicated before because I took a gu about 40 min into running then about 20 min later I was crashing I pulled over and a volunteer told to sit down cause I must have looked bad off I took another gu and an ambulance came by about 10-15 min later and checked my sugars and it was 160 way too low for taking on two gels in an hour even during a race. I guess I could have gone on but that freaked me out too much and had way too much race left to do. so I pulled the plug. I'm extremely pissed at myself for not checking my sugars before the race or carrying my meter and possibly taking too much meds before the race - really stupid things. I'm upset about not finishing too but think that was the prudent thing to do but it really hurts my pride. I train and race as my own little FU to diabetes and today the big D kicked my arse Sad

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hi Joe, I'm sorry to hear that...very frustrating Sad! You did the right thing by stopping. There are other races, but only ONE you. Running is sort of a way to feel in a bit more control of our bodies I think, but reality is that there are a 1001 factors that impact us and only a few we can control. Some days those factors will line up for us, and some days they simply do not. The real victory is in lacing up your shoes again and taking what you learned into your next run, race or whatever. You're a winner, so I know you will do just that! I'm struggling a bit right now too. Not running that great, and this weekend I'm running in a race w/ my 67 year old mom. She's likely going to run a 5K in 26:something, and unless I grow some new legs and lungs before then, I'm pretty sure she's going to beat me. I am absolutely THRILLED for her, but a little depressed that after 3 (or is it 4 now Confused) years of running, I can't beat my mom. I have prayed that God will help me to be a more humble person...and this should do the trick nicely. But we're both getting back out there anyway, right?
      Progress Trumps Pefection

The voice of mile 18

yep I'll be back out there. good luck beating your mom!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Joe, That really stinks about your race, but at least you learned something to help you in future races. Some of us have to do things the hard way Roll eyes (I ended up at the hospital after my first 1/2 marathon because I decided I didn't need to wear my insulin pump as long as I was running). And I know what you mean about training & racing as a big FU to diabetes - that's how I feel and especially how I felt when my pump stopped working before a race that I'd trained months for. Since I'd learned my lesson about running without a pump, I drove around to several CVS's in a city I wasn't familiar with to find NPH insulin so I could still race. That was my fastest 1/2 marathon yet! Carol, good luck at your race this weekend!