Diabetic Runners

anyone ever have to do this test? (Read 141 times)

The voice of mile 18

went to the lab for drawing blood for my H1AC and they scanned my paperwork and asked if I had my Urine sample. I usually dont give urine but sometimes my doc slips in something for fun I guess. I said no and the nice lady leaves and comes back w/ a red bucket and proceeds to explain the procedure for the 24Hr urine sampling. I have never had this test before and the doc didn't mention it at my last visit. nothing too terrible about the test except I have to pee in bucket and keep it in the fridge not exactly what I want to do at work so I'll try this weekend but will have to work around my long run and post run brunch.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I've had to do that MANY TIMES Angry I think they use it to check for protein in your urine, which would signal kidney problems? The Dr I saw from the time I was 10 until about 16 made me do it once/ year. I always hated it and would do anything to get out of it. They did find high levels of protein once, and I had to go have other tests done, but they never found any real problems. I'm just glad that none of the Drs I've seen recently has mentioned it!!
        Yes my doctor wants to do it once a year, he's barking about it now. I am not sure but, I believe that you shouldn't do any strenuous exercise a couple of days before the samples are taken. They are looking for protien and exercise can elevate the levels. Call your doctor to make sure. Ain't we got fun!
        Age is not an illusion
          My last go around with labs found elevated protein in my Urine. I've never had this happen before after being diagnosed for more than 4 years. I was shocked because I've always consider my BG's under control. My doctor asked if I'd been doing anything different. Only thing I could say was "running". He said that's the reason why. Running, in particular, prior to a urine test can elevate protein levels. I'm going to try to lay off running for 5 days prior to my next round of labs. It's comforting to hear someone else has heard the same information.
          "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll" - AC/DC
            As diabetics a yearly urine test for microalbuminuria is essential. A routine urinalysis will not detect such small amounts of protein in the urine. This special lab test must be used. Protein and red blood cells, too large to pass through the kidney filtering system, normally stay in the bloodstream where they belong. But after years of hyperfiltration (caused by high sugar) damage can occur that then begins to allow protein to filter through, often a sign of stage 1 kidney disease. I was already at this stage 1 when I was diagnosed in '04 so tight control is important to me. I may have had my dx in the nick of time as my urine has been free of protein for a year now. I never thought that running may induce the passage of protein into the urine. I will definitely keep that in mind before my next test.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

The voice of mile 18

did the test after a 15.5Mile run but the results came back "fine" doc forgot he ordered the test but was very happy w/ those results.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy