Ex-smokers support

Introductions... (Read 715 times)

My apology if this has been repeated by others but I was hoping to start an introduction sticky so we could all "get to know each other"; if it's possible. As for me, I'm Robert from Poplar Bluff, Mo and after 20 yrs of smoking I quit FOR GOOD on 19 MAY 2007! I have been a runner...maybe more of a jogger...since I joined the Army in 1992. I never stay consistent with it and really stop and go all the time. I am trying to get back into shape after being really lazy for the last year after returning from Afghanistan. I started running again March 16th and love the feeling all over again! My goal this year is to keep running, dropping some weight and doing the 5K's I'm registered for and hopefully participate in the St. Judes Marathon as I love to support that organization! Good luck to all the Non-Smokers and those of you that are Quitting finally! I know how difficult it is and only wish you the best! For me it was purely mental and I had to make that decision. Good Luck! Rob

Rob M.-A PROUD AMERICAN VETERAN! OlllO-It's a JEEP thing! GOALS 2010: 5K- 5KFVS, 5/22/10: 29:15 10K- Old River Run, 5/8/10: 1:02.24 City of Roses Half Marathon, 9/19/10: Marathon-St. Judes Memphis Marathon, 12/4/10?? Duathlon-??? Triathlon(sprint)-???

Gotta TRI

Hi Rob, Welcome to the group and congratulations on quitting. Also, I'd personally like to thank you for serving, and protecting our country. I'm Andy, and live in Moultonborough, NH. I was a 40 year veteran of the couch and 20+ year smoker to boot. Having turned 40, and after watching my wife run her first triathlon, I decided it was time. I quit smoking Aug.20th,2007 and started running. since that time I have run in many events ranging from 5k's to a full marathon, and triathlons from sprints to 1/2 ironmans. It's a great feeling to be healthy, and to be able to run though I must admit I've been in a little rut as of late. I really have to get back out there and run, but am proud to say that the quitting smoking has definatly stuck. Thanks for starting this thread Rob, and welcome again. Andy
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
        Hi Rob, I quit smoking Aug.20th,2007 and started running. since that time I have run in many events ranging from 5k's to a full marathon, and triathlons from sprints to 1/2 ironmans.
        Just quitting smoking is amazing enough but seriously, Triathlons, marathons...DANG! I can only hope to get to do a 1/2 mary...I don't know if I'll ever be able to complete an entire Marathon much less a traithlon! AWESOME!

Rob M.-A PROUD AMERICAN VETERAN! OlllO-It's a JEEP thing! GOALS 2010: 5K- 5KFVS, 5/22/10: 29:15 10K- Old River Run, 5/8/10: 1:02.24 City of Roses Half Marathon, 9/19/10: Marathon-St. Judes Memphis Marathon, 12/4/10?? Duathlon-??? Triathlon(sprint)-???

Gotta TRI

Hey, Honestly, if I didn't register for races, I'd never run. So...I just keep booking events and hope to train enough to pull them off. Training sucks, but the events are really fun. I just keep building on the previous goals, or miles. And truthfully, right now I am WAY behind on all of this. I have got to get out and start running.
          patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi,

My name's Patrick, I have been running and smoking on and off for many years. I stopped smoking a year ago but kept running and biking. There are still some temptations but as I make better times on my runs (from 9 ish minutes/mile to sub 8min/mile) I find it easier to justify the healthy habits. I have not stopped wine, cheese and beer and do not intend to Smile.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for the past and future support.

Patrick

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Magictones

Hi, I'm Jay.  I'm live in Overland Park, KS.  I quit smoking on Jan. 17, 2009 after smoking for almost 20 years.  I was a pretty good runner in high school so decided I was going to start again.  I set my goal of running a 1/2 marathon in Oct and plan on running the Lincoln marathon next May with my dad and brother.  I really dreaded running again, but I'm amazed at how much I missed it and am enjoying it again.

Gotta TRI

Hi Jay! Welcome to the club! Congratulations on quitting, I'm sure it was one of the toughest things you've had to do, ( maybe not ) it was for most of us. Running is a great side effect of quitting, keep it up.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I made this a sticky...

I'm Jen, 32 yrs old and quit smoking as of January 14, 2007. I started smoking at age 12 and picked up to a pack a day from 18yrs old to 30yrs old when I finally quit. I was a runner (CC & Track) in high school and picked it back up after quitting. I'm not as dedicated as Andy but I am registered to run the Hartford Half Marathon if only I can keep up my running! Good Job quiting and welcome to the group!

-Jen
                  2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                  pupdawg

Hey all, I go by Clay, I am a 42 y/o Air Force Retiree, I quit smoking about 1 yr 2 months ago on September 17, 2008 after smoking since the age of 17. Gave it up cold turkey this time without patches, gum or candy ( think the family was ready to kill me) and have been really successful this time around. I have tried through the years and often used running as my coping method. This time I waited until I was over the crave and then started running again. My ultimate goal is to hit a Marathon before the end of this year.

Gotta TRI

Welcome Clay and congratulations. Great job quitting cold turkey, I couldn't do that. This forum seems to have slowed a bit but I always try to keep tabs on it. I'd like to see it pick up again. Any marathons in particular you're looking at? I just got back from the P.F. Chang Rock nRoll marathon in AZ. It was a blast, though I really wasn't quite ready for that distance...again.

Again, welcome.

pupdawg

Welcome Clay and congratulations. Great job quitting cold turkey, I couldn't do that. This forum seems to have slowed a bit but I always try to keep tabs on it. I'd like to see it pick up again. Any marathons in particular you're looking at? I just got back from the P.F. Chang Rock nRoll marathon in AZ. It was a blast, though I really wasn't quite ready for that distance...again.

Again, welcome.

Gotta do my homework real soon and start planning for a marathon. I have ran off and on all through the years but never those distances...8-10  miles max. I have always wanted to run one though,not looking to place, completion would make me happy!

hello everyone im roy from dekalb illinois. i started smoking at about 14 and recently quit, havent had a cigarette since november 15 2009. for me it was mostly a matter of necessity, i had been fired from both jobs i had and knew i could never afford to continue. with a history of cancer in my family ( grandma died of breast cancer when i was 2, uncle died of lung cancer thanksgiving 2007) and a little inspiration in the female form, its been easy to stay away. congrats to everyone and good luck in the future.
                          Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi folks,

I'm Tom.  I'm 38 and have smoked since I was 18.  I have probably smoked around 20/day for the last 20 years.

I started running again (after a 20 year gap) about 2 years ago.  I have done ok.  Last year I was ranked No 1 in the UK and No14 in the world for the 12hr ultra and completed several other ultras, including a 24hr race.  I also compete over shorter distances and in March this year I ran a 10 mi in 59:30.   The rest of my PRs are very out of date.

I know that I could be a much better runner if I didn't smoke.

Yesterday I smoked 30 cigarettes.  I also ran 30 miles.  I am stupid.

5 minutes ago I finished a pack and threw my lighter away.

Please help me not to light up another.

Hi folks,

I'm Tom.  I'm 38 and have smoked since I was 18.  I have probably smoked around 20/day for the last 20 years.

I started running again (after a 20 year gap) about 2 years ago.  I have done ok.  Last year I was ranked No 1 in the UK and No14 in the world for the 12hr ultra and completed several other ultras, including a 24hr race.  I also compete over shorter distances and in March this year I ran a 10 mi in 59:30.   The rest of my PRs are very out of date.

I know that I could be a much better runner if I didn't smoke.

Yesterday I smoked 30 cigarettes.  I also ran 30 miles.  I am stupid.

5 minutes ago I finished a pack and threw my lighter away.

Please help me not to light up another.

every time you smoke god kills a kitten.

Purdey

Self anointed title

every time you smoke god kills a kitten.

I hate cats.