Ex-smokers support

First step (Read 478 times)

patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi, I am new to this forum and I guess the first step towards quitting is realizing there is a problem. The situation: I smoke one cigarette in the morning, spend 10-12 hrs at work without smoking and then hell breaks loose and I smoke 5 or 6 at night. That is the Monday to Friday situation. Weekends depend on the activity, if I am hanging out with other people, there is no smoking at all, If I am by myself, I smoke like a chimney. Aside from smoking, I run, whitewater kayak every other weekend and bike. Last thing, I never finish a pack because I am disgussed every couple days end throw the rest away.... I tried the nicotine gum, it makes my throat itch and almost burn after a coupe minutes. Does anyone have a similar smoking pattern? To be continued. Thanks Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

obiebyke

patarch, Good idea joining the group. Welcome! Hopefully reading around our forums will help you figure out some new quitting strategies. I, for one, am here for support and cheering if and when you decide to give it a try. Maybe for now, try to reduce a little? Baby steps can help until you make the decision to stop.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My legs are killing me

Welcome fellow CT'er! I did pretty much the same thing. Very light smoker so I was able to rationalize it. The AM smoke was definately part of my routine. I broke that by changing my morning routine. I woke up later, so I didn't have time to have a cig (felt good sleeping in too) and didn't drink coffee (big trigger) . I do chew the gum mostly because I like to keep my mouth busy and if it bothers your throat why not try regular gum just to keep youself busy. If you really need help get Chantix. I used that and it really does make the cravings go away. Good luck and keep us posted.
        patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi and long live the warm days in CT, The morning hot beverages are definitely triggers. I am thinking of making a list of all he situations I feel the need for a smoke and try to rationalize it to quit it. Nothing better than an open office Big grin spreadsheet to be motivated. Patarch

Gotta TRI

Welcome Patarch, Obie, and Sully pretty much summed it up. We are here to help and support any and all who choose to visit this site. There isn't anything that at least someone here hasn't gone through in trying to quit. and pretty much all methods have been tossed around and discussed at some point. Most of us have tried them all. ( Chantix was the one that worked for me as well ) Ask questions, post often, and we'll all be here to help in any way we can. Good luck! Andy
            2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
            patarch1

New Haven 08

Hello and thanks for the supportive messages. I was playing tag on sunday with brats aging from 7 to 16 and this was the last motivation I needed. I was IT too often and I decided I had to stop asap. So there I am, after a long consultation with a doctor. Last night, 10pm marks the time and day I decided to stop.I am on a 14mg patch and already avoided the last cigarette of the day and the morning ones.It will not be easy but if I can win at tag or at least be chased instead of chasing, this will be great. Patarch1

Gotta TRI

Hello Patarch1, Good to hear from you again and glad to hear you are still trying. I have had success with the patch before so good luck to you. It's always rough starting but once you get going with it it gets easier. Post often and we;ll help the best we can. Andy

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Using the patch is how I finally quit... bad sleep but it did it's job! good luck and we're here if you need us!
                  -Jen
                  2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                  patarch1

New Haven 08

Thanks for the comments, The patch definitely has a new and soothing effect. Being in the car without smokes is totally new too. I started commuting with a non-smoker and it should help. It will help with the gas bills too Smile

obiebyke

patarch, one minute at a time. Nice nice job.

patarch1

New Haven 08

Good Monday morning to all, Well, the weekend passed without a failure. This time of the week is the hardest and the organic lollypops were definitely helping. The result is that I was able to log my first weekend smoke free. I cannot wait for the next weekend. Patarch1

Gotta TRI

Awesome job! Keep it up! Question- organic lollipops? Please, tell me more.
                          patarch1

New Haven 08

These are lollipops my girlfriend got at Trader Joes, I have 20 or so in the car and at home so each time I think too much about the smokes I grap a lollipop.... I should check the spelling of lollipops Roll eyes patarch1

obiebyke

Great job, patarch. The physical craving is supposed to break at two weeks. You're halfway there!

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I would chew gum a lot for the first few weeks/months. Then my dentist told me to quit the gum! Sad your doing great! It's just going to get easier and better from here!
                                -Jen
                                2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!