Ex-smokers support

weekly thread (Read 340 times)

My legs are killing me

I started a thread in the "General running" forum to recruit new runners to our group. We all know that tomorrow is a big quitting day so maybe we can help some of our fellow runners. I hope you all have a happy, safe and smoke free New Year!

tech geek

Sully: thanks for starting this weeks thread, and sending out a recruiting notice. I remember when I first quit too. I used to post constantly. It helped so much. Now I am almost at 2 months. It feels good. The cravings are still there, but I just repeat "smoking is not an option" It is so awesome to start a new year with a new outlook and a new resolve on life. My running is going slow, and I have lots to make up for in the C25K from finals and the holidays. But I will keep it up. This is a big time of the year for quitting. I know around my part of the country everywhere is going no smoking, and they are putting a huge tax on cigarettes. That provided even more incentive to quit for me. I always kept saying that if they got to $3 a pack I would quit, then $4 then I was paying almost $5. wow. I am glad I quit. So good luck to everyone and please post post post. we are here for you and each other. These are great people.

tech geek

How did everyones New Year's Eve treat them? I made it into 2008 smoke free. I do have to say with all the drinking going on it was really hard. But here I am today and made it another day. I had a really great time with friends and I feel like not smoking is a good way to start the new year.

Gotta TRI

Hey Gang! Happy New Year!! Sorry I haven't beeen posting here much but there hadn't been too much activity as of late. I'm glad to see you are still here. Has any one seen Megs411? For what it's worth guys, I really want you to know that I'm here for you. I know we've all had our hard times trying to quit, but if anyone's having a particularly hard day just post a thread and I'll be there for ya Big grin Thanks for starting the week Sully, nice to see ya again dray. TTYL Andy
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

tech geek

It feels good to be back at work, and back into a schedule. Over the holidays, I quit taking the Chantix. It was rough for a couple of days. But feeling much better now. I finally was able to head to the gym yesterday, but I had a horrible migraine and my run on the treadmill was not so great. I am going to head back tonight. How is everyone this week?
            obiebyke

I'm still on the non-smoking wagon. After work, I'm scheduled to do Week 3, Workout 2 of the C25K program. I had trouble sleeping last night and my lymph nodes are a little swollen, so I'm going to have to listen to my body. Dead Happy New Year

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My legs are killing me

Everything is going well here. Ran a 10k in the snow on New Year's day. It was a little slippery but a great way to start the new year. As I was running I was thinking how far I've come in a year. This time last year I was just starting my own couch to 5k program and had trouble running for a minute straight and here I was running 6.2 miles with no problems. It was a really great feeling. Dray, I hear you about getting back into a routine again. Even thought I maintained my mpw in the low 20s I still mangaged to put on 5 pounds. Thank God I run or I'd look like a blimp. Keep the faith everyone! Let's make 08 even better than 07.

Gotta TRI

Hey Gang! Smoking wise- doing fine. running wise- gots a little foot thing going on. Getting some pain in my right foot after a few miles. Bumming Sad But , chiropractor ( who is also an ironman, and ultra runner) is looking at it. Hope it's not too big a deal as my Feb. half mary's coming up. Started back on the bike but that's going slow as well. Dead Sullly, Great job with the 10k!! Dray, Are you off Chantix for good? The first day or so was a little rough when I stopped as well. But it gets better. I promise Big grin Obiebyke, Congrats on staying on the wagon and c25k! Andy

My legs are killing me

Andy, Are you doing the Hampton 1/2 in NH in Feb? I've been thinking of running that one.
                      Tomorrow is my quit day! I think the zyban is working, I'll find out for sure tomorrow, but so far I think I am getting more psychological urges to smoke than actual physical ones. For example I will think to myself "I need to go outside and have a cigarette when I am done with this" and then I will "forget" about going out and smoking, but we'll see how tomorrow goes. I have an 8 mile run scheduled and I am so slow that it should take up most of the day....the only problem is DH is home tomorrow- he smokes, but I can resist! Just one question though for all you quitters out there. If you used zyban, did you also use some kind of nicotine replacement as well- like the patch, gum, ect...? Or did you just do it on the zyban? I AM NOT GOING TO SMOKE AGAIN AFTER TODAY (just had to tell myself that)- the last few times I tried to quit that statement made me a little sad, but this time I just feel relieved that I will finally be done with cigarettes!
                      obiebyke

Good luck, Holo. You can do it. Be determined, and take it minute by minute. Every minute you don't smoke is a minute closer to having another smoke-free day under your belt. For me, at least, thinking about never again is too much.

tech geek

good luck holo. i did not use zyban myself. Every time i wanted to smoke, i just told myself smoking is not an option. if i were to start smoking again to relieve this uncomfortable feeling, then it would just be a temporary band aid to the problem, and lead to more suffering int he end. that has been working so far. Really well except when I drink. but the 1st started no smoking in public places and none of my friends smoke,so the temptation is not so bad. if you need to post a lot instead of smoking please feel free.

Gotta TRI

Hey to all!! Sullly: How ya doin? As a matter of fact I am running the Hampton Half. I'd love to see you there. I've often wondered though how I"d recognize any runners from CR or RA on a course. It would be cool to meet any of my online friends at an event. Holo: Welcome to the club and congratulations!!! Like Dray, I have not tried zyban either. ( surprising cuz, I thought I'd tried everything ) Chantix was the one that finally worked for me, but as I've said before, whatever works is the right one. This site is dedicated to supporting all those that are trying to quit, so lean on us Big grin Obiebyke: Do I see you're sporting a Pats helmet? 16-0!!!! Whooo! How's the not smoking going? Hanging in there? Keep it up! Hey Dray!! How's it going? How's the New Year treating ya? Think about it. 2008, a new year, a new home (RA), and a new lease on life. does it get ant better than this? Keep it up EX''s! Andy
                            obiebyke

Hey, Andy! Yeah, since the Raiders and Vikings are out of the Super Bowl race, I'm backing the Pats. Still not smoking. Monday is 5 months without! Yes How're you? And everyone else?

tech geek

congrats on 5 months. that is so great. i have to say ever since the rose bowl, my love of football has diminished for the year. /sigh the illini tend to make that happen quick with many sports. how is every doing? holo? Andy: yes, i do feel like i have a new lease on life. i have been using the past couple of days to get everything done I have been putting off around the house. wow. it can build up. Smile