Ex-smokers support

2/12-2/17 (Read 472 times)

tech geek

Hello guys!!!! I am completely alive I swear. A couple of days ago I reached three months of no smoking. It feels really good. My life is so different now. It is a pretty great feeling. how is everyone doing? I am trying to catch up on post etc.. my running is not happening so much at the current moment due to a very tight busy schedule. but i am staying active and cant wait to start running again.
    obiebyke

Yay for 3 months! I'm still going strong. Just started dating someone, and it's amazing how important it's become that my partner be a nonsmoker, too! Smoking SMELLS. And to think I used to be irritated that my ex-partner DIDN'T smoke. On week 5 of C25K again. No real pain of note this time. I'm much more conscious of my form and speed now. And only 3 weeks until my birthday, when I'll be getting a Garmin from my dad. Big grin

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Big Chicken!

Hi all! Good to see you're still with us Drayz. Obie, you'll love that Garmin. Mine finally arrived yesterday and I felt like doing today's run yesterday as soon as it was charged! It's a huge motivator for me. It's helpful to see the # of calories burned and to see what your average pace is. It's nice to track the improvement over time. (DH was so glad that I don't have to use his anymore!) How's everyone else? Andy, how's the recovery process coming along? Are you still riding high from your awsome accomplishment? It's only 11 months till Disney! Sully, are you felling better yet? Are you still gonna try to complete your race? Where's Holo and Megs and Jenny? And anyone else I missed?
        Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

My legs are killing me

Hi everyone. Glad to hear all is well. Obie and Kris, your going to love your garmin! It is awesome and I love to see the elevation changes during my runs. Watch out though, the pace is all over the place the first mile or so but then it settles down. So don't freak out if it tells you your on a 13 minute pace because in 30 seconds it can go down to a 10 minute pace. I'm still sick with pnemonia, it is getting better but it just won't go away. It really sucks. It makes you realize how fragile your health is and to realize that at one time I smoked sends chills down my spine. Pretty scary.
            Hey everyone! Sorry I've been missing in action. Between work and family, it's been pretty hectic around here. And the snow... How come last year, when I wasn't running we had the warmest winter in YEARS with very little snow and now that I'm a runner, snow at least once a week. COME ON! The indoor track at the gym is nice but I really miss running outside. I just signed up for my 25K River Run in Grand Rapids. 25K?!?! What am I thinking?!? And still seriously considering Disney... Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
            Meg http://megs411nosmoke.blogspot.com/

Big Chicken!

Happy Heart Day!! Megs~You need to sign up for Disney by the end of the month to ge the lower registration fee. I think it goes up 10 bucks March 1. Not sure how much it is. We had a full marathon, a Goofy (half one day, full the next, DH is crazy) and a Minnie on our tab. Sign up!! C'mon, you know you wanna! Me and Andy will be there!! You won't be alone! Sully, sorry to hear you're still under the weather. Take your time and rest up. BTW, I used to use DH's Garmin. He was so glad when I got my own. I love using it. I have no elevation change here. Maybe a foot if I'm lucky. 2 or 3 if I go down the ditch across the backyard.

tech geek

I want a garmin. it has been pretty cold my way but i went out last night for about 20 minutes i am a little sick so my lungs were on fire, but it just feels good to tough out the cold and get a good run in. happy vday to all of you
                  Hi everyone! I made it 1 month and 15 days THEN....today I had a nightmare day at work, it was just awful. I am seriously starting to regret going into an administrative role, I think I am ready to go back to the classroom. Working with emotionally disturbed kids is much easier than working with so called adults. To make a long story short, today on my way home I bought a pack of cigarettes and I smoked one, thank God it was disgusting, so I destroyed the rest of the pack and am now here confessing my sins. I also haven't been running that much for the last few weeks so that probably has a lot to do with my rotten mood, the fact that I am letting things bother me so much, as well as my relapse. I have my 8 mile race on Monday, I am not actually planning on racing since I am doing the low heart rate training, but my goal is to be able to run the whole thing while keeping under my max HR. After that I am going to seriously start running again, at least more regularly. I would like to be running at least 20 miles a week on a regular basis. It should help once I get my treadmill. For all you that have a garmin- what is it you love about it so much? I have been thinking of buying one, but I really think they are ugly. I am not too sure what kind of signal I would get on my trail runs, and I am planning on running on my treadmill (once it finally comes in) some so I would also need the footpod. So I have been going back and forth over the garmin and the polar RS200SD. The polar looks much better and the foot pod is supposed to be pretty accurate, and the HR monitor has all the features I want, but it doesn't have GPS (but I don't know if I NEED gps) it is also much cheaper than the garmin plus a footpod..............any and all opinions are welcome.

Big Chicken!

Holo, Sorry to here about your slip-up. Don't worry. It happens to a lot of us. But you tossed the rest so that's good. Don't beat yurself up over it. You are human just like us. What do I like so much about my Garmin?? What don't I like? I have the 205 (no HR monitor) and it's blue, so there is no way I think it's ugly! Blue is my favorite-est! Since I have been doing run/walk intervals I like that I can program my interval times and it beeps to let me know when to switch. It has elevation so if I actually had some hills here I could see how I was doing with that (my elevation changes about 4 feet the whole run!). I can see my average pace for the whole session or by lap (lap is each interval session; a great way for me to assess how well I keep my pace; whether or not I start too fast and burn out or if I am maintaining pace). I have an exact distance I have covered which is important for both intervals by time (can compare my improvement time vs distance) and distance (long runs in training go by specific distance, not # of intervals). And the best part is I can see the number of calories burned!! I don't expect the calories burned is accurate (I entered Female, weight and age) but it's a nice close estimate. Sometimes I go a bit longer to get a specific # gone if I have plans for the evening. Helps plan my daily food intake. Also, I can download th eday's runs into th ecomputer program it comes with and see some neat looking charts and graphs. As I put more of them in it will be a great tool for assessing where I am and how I am improving. My running partner has a foot pod (she uses Nike+) and she has to calibrate fairly often. Right after calibration she's just about right on with the Garmin but after a number of runs she's .1 to .2 miles off of me. She finds it annoying.

My legs are killing me

Hi Halo, it's good to see you back! Don't even worry about the slip the other day. I wouldn't even count it. The important thing is your back on the wagon. Your doing great so focus on the positive! I love my garmin and I alway say between that and my sirius radio, during a run I'm hooked up to more satellites than ESPN. Along with the great features our resident marathoner Kris (still pumped up you did it) mentions, I think the real benefit of the garmin is the freedom it gives you on a run. You can go where you want and you know how far you went. Your not stuck with a specific route. If you think the 205 or 305 is ugly then go to the 405, it just came out, and it looks more like a watch and is much more stylish.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hi everyone! Big grin it's been a while! I got so busy with work and school and my husband and I are now buying our first home! We are set to close on March 13th! This is a very stressful time right now and I kinda stopped running since about December... just got so busy and you know once you stop it's hard to get back. BUT I'm signing up for a 5miler and I'm gonna finish! The race will be in my new hometown and it's at the end of March so it'll be just a few short weeks after we close on the house! I went back to doing the C25K program since I was having trouble building up on my own. I'm currently on W6D2 which I will run tonight! I haven't had a smoke in 13 months but I wanted one the other day! I think it was after we signed all the paperwork for the mortgage! Dead we walked out the bank and someone was smoking and I said to DH, god I would love one right now, he looked at me and I said no your right it'll taste horrible and we left... but for the first time in a long time I had the urge. When we got home I went out running instead!
                        -Jen
                        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Big Chicken!

Good for you Jenni! Resisted the urge, bought a house, started running again, WOW! Best of luck on the 5 miler. It will make sticking with th e running easier. Glad to see you're back. Smile