Ex-smokers support

Chantix (Read 959 times)

tech geek

I know on the cool running boards, lots of people had questions about Chantix. So I thought I would dedicate a thread for those who have questions and those who have used it to quit. As of this moment, I have been quit for 45 days. I am still taking Chantix, but only once a day. There have been a couple of days, I just have forgotten to take it at all. I must say it worked for me. The problems I have had with it are problems sleeping. That is part of the reason, I only take one a day. If I take it at night with my work schedule, it is pretty much before I go to bed. I always had really weird dreams. So I talked to my doctor after the 1 month mark, and we cut it down to one. I did experience an upset stomach with them. I found that eating a bowl of granola in the morning with yogurt instead of milk does the trick. The one at night never bothered me because I took it with dinner. My recommendation is to never try to take it without eating. In my case, the advantages have far outweighed the side effects I have had. I got my step daughter for the weekend for the first time since I quit this past weekend. There were no trips outside for me. No smelling like smoke. So I could give a good hug goodbye without smelling. And just her knowing that I don't smoke was a great feeling. If anyone else has used it, and would like to post please share your story. And anyone who is thinking about using it, please post questions.

Gotta TRI

Hey Dray! I'd be glad to sing the praises of Chantix. As you know it worked forme as well. As a smoker I had tried every product out there to quit; smoke away, nicorette gum, the patch,wellbutrin, hypnotism as well as cold turkey, and nothing stuck. Sure some of them worked for a time and that's why I won't bad mouth any product because what works for one may not work for another. However, Chantix is the one that worked for me. I had no cravings almost immediatly, no urges or slip ups, and felt comfortable enough after the first month that I didn't bother with the rest. ( you can take it up to 6 mos.) I am now passing the 4month mark totally smoke free!! I highly recommend this product to anyone. Andy
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

My running partner!

I just got my prescription for Chantix today. I quit on the first, but want to make sure I can follow through. I have used patches, gum... and quit a few times, but always went back. I am hoping that tihis time will be my final time! I am happy to have running to replace my bad habbit. I also am coming over from cool running - just finishing week 9 of the C2k this week.
        Kat

Gotta TRI

Congratulations Kat! I hope the chantix works for you. Actually I'm sure it will. This stuff really works!! Please post often here for all the support you need. We've all been ( or are ) there, so welcome to the club, and welcome to our new home. Andy

Half Fanatic #846

Hi - I just posted on the main forum about it, but wanted to make sure that I gave the Rx Chantix my full endorsement. I smoked for 35 years, tried different things off and on that didn't work for more than a few days or a couple of weeks. About 14 months ago my wife and I both used Chantix to stop fairly quickly and easily. Soon after, a co-worker had the same results. The only side effects any of us had was mild nausea (until we learned to take it on a full stomach). It took an average of about 10-12 weeks of using Chantix to make sure the cravings didn't return (although we had stopped smoking within one week of starting the Rx). My understanding is that Chantix blocks the receptors in the brain that crave nicotine. In my case the cost was slightly less than the cost to continue smoking, but the BIG bonus was finally quitting. I actually "saved" a few pills in case I became weak later (which did happen 3 or 4 times ie; knowing I was going to be in a smoking environment for awhile, etc.). Hope this helps someone like it did me!! Big grin Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Yay Chantix!!! Big grin Made me able to quit my incessant 23 year smoking habit with super human strength. Still doing great and ready to start running (hoping, of course, that my neighbors won't laugh at me =-) If you want to quit - try Chantix - I'm sure it's the best I've ever tried. I feel like I've gotten my freedom back! Lynne

Gotta TRI

Yay,Lynneann!! Isn't chantix great!!! Congratulations! Welcome to the site, and to the running world. Andy

De-slacking in progress

Hi - I just posted on the main forum about it, but wanted to make sure that I gave the Rx Chantix my full endorsement. I smoked for 35 years, tried different things off and on that didn't work for more than a few days or a couple of weeks. About 14 months ago my wife and I both used Chantix to stop fairly quickly and easily. Soon after, a co-worker had the same results. The only side effects any of us had was mild nausea (until we learned to take it on a full stomach). It took an average of about 10-12 weeks of using Chantix to make sure the cravings didn't return (although we had stopped smoking within one week of starting the Rx). My understanding is that Chantix blocks the receptors in the brain that crave nicotine. In my case the cost was slightly less than the cost to continue smoking, but the BIG bonus was finally quitting. I actually "saved" a few pills in case I became weak later (which did happen 3 or 4 times ie; knowing I was going to be in a smoking environment for awhile, etc.). Hope this helps someone like it did me!! Big grin Bill
                  Slaptear2 - Free and Healing for Five Days, 1 Hour and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 101 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $18.70. Working great so far for me- it's all mental now

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

De-slacking in progress

Slaptear2 - Free and Healing for Five Days, 1 Hour and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 101 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $18.70. Working great so far for me- it's all mental now
                    Slaptear2 - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 23 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 440 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $81.41.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Gotta TRI

Hello slaptear2, and welcome to the ex-smoking way of life. Sounds like you are doing well with it. It certainly gets easier as time goes by. I'm up to 9months now and feel great. Our forum here seems to have slowed down a bit, but I do try and check in often. Give me a shout if you have any questions or tough days with the not- smoking. We / I are here to support, encourage, and assist in any way possible with your cause. Congratulations again, keep it up. Andy

i just stumbled upon this thread and thought of my dad. he has been smoking for many years now, and has a complete disregard for his own health. he chronically coughs and has for as long as i remember. recently my mom noticed that he is wheezing when he breaths, even when hes watching tv. his father smoked almost his whole life, until he had open heart surgery, when he woke up he had no memory of being a smoker. my dad is going to have a heart attack soon, he will be 52 in january. ive seen him try to quit a few times before when my mom gets on his case. he tried cold turkey and gum, but i cant help but think he just isnt putting any effort into it. its become such a habit for him, i dont think he has any hope for quitting on his own, basically quitting life. with his first official grandchild coming soon, the family needs him around. i was just thinking what an awesome gift chantix would be for christmas! i was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction to get this going. is it even possible for me to get a Rx for someone else? how much did it cost? any info would be greatly appreciated, his life is at stake.

Gotta TRI

Wow, its been forever since I've popped in here. Let me give what i can for help. I used chantix to help me quit and can honestly say it worked. Now I will add to that statement that the timing was right and my mind was in the right place for it. I will still submit that I think it is a great product. I would think that you would not be able to get a rx for someone other than yourself so would probably not recommend doing so. Bottom line is it needs to be his decision to do so. My wife begged and pleaded with me for years to quit, and the more she did the more resentful I became. Inside I knew she was right, but it was something about being told I couldn't do something that at the time I loved. When I finally saw what I wanted to be like it was easy for me to do. I wish there was an easy way to get him to stop, but I don't think there is. Keep playing the grandchildren card, or find something else that strikes a chord with him and then offer to help with the chantix. Unfortunately, he needs a reason that means something greater than his habit to sway him away from that habit. Not the most uplifting I know, but I hope it helps.

Milhouse

Don't know much about Chantix since I quit cold turkey but I can kinda relate to you and your dad. My dad smoked until he died of a heart attack 1 week after his 59th birthday. He tried many times to quit and I was always on his case to quit when I was growing up; then I became a smoker. One thing he had on him when he died was a notepad so he could keep track of how many smokes a day he was having so he could cut down. I was (am? once an addict always an addict) a smoker myself for 22 years before kicking it. My wife asked me yesterday why I quit cause she was hassling me for years. I was tired of the sore lungs, I wanted to run my first marathon, I wanted to be around longer than my dad to see my grandchildren and the big kicker was one day my son asked me how old he had to be before he could start smoking? Wham! All of things added up to one thing - I quit because I really wanted to. From all the entries in this forum, it seems fairly common that all the people who are successful is because they really wanted to quit. Somehow your dad has to figure that out; maybe you and the family can just help with that and give him lots of support. All the best.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.

tech geek

I ended up quitting cold turkey when it was all said and done. But I have to say the Chantix broke the initial strong link in my brain. 

I have to agree with Schnoelly, in the end I quit because I wanted to and I was ready to tough out the hard part.