Ex-smokers support

Introductions... (Read 715 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

every time you smoke god kills a kitten.

The more I think about this ... the more it pisses me off.

It is not true, it gives me little incentive to stop (I really don't like cats) and if this is the best that this forum has to offer in the form of "support" then I'll leave now.

The more I think about this ... the more it pisses me off.

sorry. try the other sticky.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hey... you know... I thought I'd post in the thread titled "introductions".  My bad.

Hope you all have a freaking great time patting each other on the back.

Remember this: every time you offer a banal platitude to somebody seeking support... God kills 10 of your bloody kittens.

hey man it was just a joke.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Tom I'm sorry your not getting the support you in need of, this is a very slow board. I remember how hard it was to quit and you going from 30 smokes to nothing you must be a mess! It gets better though, each day gets a little easier. It might seem like all you can think about right now is smoking, it gets better. It won't happen overnight but pretty soon you'll realize you don't constantly think about smoking anymore. I used to dream about sneaking off in the middle of the night and smoking while my husband slept. It's been over 3 years for me and I had that dream a few months ago! Just keep telling yourself you can do this your stronger than this addiction!

good luck!

-Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Hi.  My name is Lynn.  I quit smoking 8 1/2 years ago because I love kittens!  And I believe with all my heart that a kitten is saved every time I don't smoke.  Maybe a whole horde of fuzzy little saved-kittens is on it's way over to Tom's house right now!  Purring, and mewing, and shedding little kitten hairs on everything! 

Seriously dude, lighten up, it's just a saying.  We've all heard it a dozen times and no one has ever taken it seriously until now.  Maybe instead if cigs, you could switch to Rx drugs, you know, to control this rage you have. 

If I wanted petulant bitchyness, I'd talk to my family.  geesh.  The rest of this community is excellent.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi.  My name is Lynn.  I quit smoking 8 1/2 years ago because I love kittens!  And I believe with all my heart that a kitten is saved every time I don't smoke.  Maybe a whole horde of fuzzy little saved-kittens is on it's way over to Tom's house right now!  Purring, and mewing, and shedding little kitten hairs on everything! 

Seriously dude, lighten up, it's just a saying.  We've all heard it a dozen times and no one has ever taken it seriously until now.  Maybe instead if cigs, you could switch to Rx drugs, you know, to control this rage you have. 

If I wanted petulant bitchyness, I'd talk to my family.  geesh.  The rest of this community is excellent.

You clearly found it no problem at all to stop smoking. 

I came to this group for support, help and advice.  I have, so far, recieved none. (Apart from Jennicap - thanks).

Petulant bitchyness [sic] - is what you have just given me.  Thanks for that.

I will try, again, to stop smoking in a few weeks.  I will probably not be coming back here though - so thank you for that.

Oooooh - Kay! that's *some* intro thread!

Hi everyone - I just joined Running Ahead this year as a novice runner to learn all I can about my new obsession, and I'm pleased to have found this group. I am a 35 yr old mum to 1 (delightful 4 year old boy). I live in New Zealand, so shouts to any kiwis on here : )

I've smoked since I was about 18, quit when I was pregnant 5 years ago, started smoking occasionally (D'OH!!!) when my son was 2, and now I run, I really want to quit for good. It's been a week since I had a fag, and although I never buy them anymore (they're expensive here, about $US 9 a pack) - the lure is great.

I have only been running about a year, seriously/ consistently for the last 6 months. I just completed my first 10 km race - I never thought I could ever run that far : D I don't think I've ever loved anything physical so much as running (ok, maaaybe sex and dancing - although not at the same time lol) - and I would really love to do a half-marathon in the next year, so quitting cigarettes is key. And, of course, I want my son to know that smoking is nasty. I love reading other's inspriational stories, so I'll do a bit of procrastinating this afternoon and peruse the threads.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

hello and welcome! the board is very slow but people check in from time to time. Good luck quititing! My goal is also a half and I am slowly building up to it!
                    -Jen
                    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Milhouse

Real name is Noel, Schnoelly was a tag by work colleagues and I kinda look like Milhouse. I live in Toronto and yes everything you've heard about Canadians is true (?). Been running and smoking for over twenty years and my favourite post race celebration was to have a smoke; heck, I earned it right? Anyway, tyring to seriously quit for my first time.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.

everyone here knows that quitting smoking is hard. show of hands here, how many people love smoking while they drink? exactly. when i quit smoking and drinking it felt very rewarding, and made the whole process a whole bunch less painful. not to sound all high and mighty about it but you know that feeling you get some days, maybe you just finished a race or just a daily run, but its that feeling of superiority and accomplishment, that was the good part about quitting. it was nice to be able to go out to parties and have a good time without getting all hammered and worried that i wouldnt be well enough to run the next day.

another show of hands, how many people have friends who smoke? exactly. when i first decided to quit it all i didnt tell a soul because every other time i failed i felt like it got all hyped up and just made me want it more. most of my friends could accept my not smoking but the drinking they would not stand for so i got a lot of crap for it. many of my weekends were lonely for this reason, sometimes i would make excuses for why i couldnt hang out because i knew i would crack under pressure. with that being said, quitting my friends (or at least cutting back) helped immensely, and theyll always be there when you get back (think of it like a self admitted rehab). by the way, the booze will be there when you get back too .

p.s. if you really wanted to quit, you would.