Ex-smokers support

The holidays (Read 318 times)

My legs are killing me

Great job Andy! 8.8 is a great feeling and an excellent way to end the year. Those ipods are great for long runs. They definately can keep you motivated. For me it is a nice distraction from my thoughts (which can be dangerous lol) I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I feel like a Roman this morning. I did a nice 5 mile run Monday afternoon and since then I've been a complete hog. Drank like a fish on Christmas eve, felt like crap yesterday, then ate like a pig yestereday, still feel lousy. But on the bright side, my lovey wife bought me a Garmin 205. I've really wanted it since last summer but have never felt like spending $160 on myself. So today I'm going to put on my Garmin and my new Sirius satellite radio and beat my body back into submission. lol I hope everyone stayed away from temptation. Christmas proved too much for this party animal.

tech geek

I was just checking in with everyone. How is everyone doing with not smoking? I have not gotten any running in but I have done a couple of days of hiking, and some weight training. Still no smoking for me. I made it through the holidays at my families. But the urge to smoke has been rather strong for me, but I am still going strong. How is everyone else? How was your holiday in general?

Gotta TRI

Is it me, or are we the only four posting here? How's everyone doing? dray? kris? sully? Big grin
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
        leahlulu

Hey guys, I posted for a while on the Cool Running site, but then injured myself and couldn't run for a couple of months and was so bummed I stopped checking it out. On the plus side, I celbrated my 5 month date of not smoking this week (I quit July 22) and was able to do 20 mpw this week, so Merry Christmas to me (and to you all)! And, hey, listen, I get it, quitting sucks and we all slip up. I think we need to be super cool about the whole thing. If we take a drag off someone's cig when we're all drinkiing New Year's champagne, no big. I have found that those random drags are so crappy and unpleasant that I just don't bother anymore. Cigarettes just don't taste that good after not smoking for a while. I have a theory and wonder what you all think: I personally started smoking as a teenager. I started smoking and drinking and doing all those bad things at the same time as all my friends. And here's the thing: only some of us ended up "smokers" and only some of us ended up "boozers" and only some of us ended up "druggies." I still know people who can enjoy a cigarette when they're drinking. But not me. When I started smoking it was like, aaaaah, this is MY thing. For me it is definitely all or nothing with cigarettes. So, this makes me think that there may be some genetic/hereditary compenent to smoking. And, I'll tell ya, if someone found out tomorrow that cigarettes are good for you, I woud be first in line to buy 'em! Interested in your feedback and congrats to all!! Anyone else find sleeping a lot easier as a non smoker?

tech geek

Kris. my name is desiree and my friends call me drayz fro some reason. so i kind of adopted a screen name out of it. as long as i dont take chantix i do sleep better.

Big Chicken!

Hi all! Andy~It sure seems like 4 of us, well 5 with leahlulu joining us again. The groups aren't easy to find if you're not pointed in the right direction. I'll add my groups to my signature once I figure out how to do that the right way. Leah~I agree about the all or nothing for some people. I think it's called having an addicitve personality. You find something you like and have to be 100% at it. I am hoping that running will take over like that. So far, I just enjoy it. Actually that's probably better than being addicted. I suspect addiction to anything is bad, as "addiction" is generally looked at as a negative thing. Whatever. I'm no psychologist. So, I am sitting here waiting on word about flights to the States. We were expecting to leave yesterday but those flights fell through. Looks like extra-early Sunday morning. I hope so. I am getting antsy. I just want to get home and enjoy some warm weather. I am also antsy since this trip is mainly for the marathon. I want to get to Disney, unpack my suitcase (which I am living out of here and we haven't even left yet), get to the parks, get my packet and goodie bag, go to the kids' races (my kids are all running Cool), eat some carbs, get up on Sunday Jan 13, get on some running gear, turn 35, eat a bagel and run (and walk) 26.2 miles. Then go have a beer! Maybe champagne as I just realized that on my 35th birthday I will do my first marathon and will have been quit for 8 months!! WOW! Have a great weekend and a wonderful New Year! Be safe and have a wonderful time!!
              Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

My legs are killing me

Kris, good luck on your flights and your up coming marathon. I m psyched for you! I bet not too long ago you never thought you'd be a marathoner! That is so cool. Andy, We are the last of the Mohegans! lol I think this whole coolrunning change has really screwed everyone up and they can't find the group. Maybe we should post a thread in the forums to get some new people. You can bet come the first of the year there are going be an awful lot of resolutions to quit. Leah, you bring up an interesting point. I do think some people are predisposed to smoking. Think back 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Mothers smoked while pregnant. It was no big deal. If your the baby your exposed to the smoke and the nicotine it has to have an effect and I think in the teen years, if you try it, it does trigger something which makes it easier for a person to start and continue to smoke. Good luck everyone! Keep up the good work. I keep slipping up but I have my training mojo back and working hard to I m getting close. I want to join Kris this year and run a marathon.

tech geek

Kris: good luck with your flight. what a great way to spend your birthday. Leah: welcome. and i agree, i am an all or nothing kind of person when it came to smoking. i will never do it casually. And Sully brings up a good point. My mother was a smoker and smoked my entire life. The past 49 days is the first time in my life, I have not been exposed to smoke. It feel good.

My legs are killing me

Desiree, wow 49 days! Way to go. I remember when you were on your first week. Keep up the good work.

Gotta TRI

Hey there Super EX's Big grin Welcome leah, Congrats on 5 mos.! You may be on to something with the whole pre- disposed line of thinking there. What I know is I've tried the "casual smoking " thing many times before and have found it to be nothing more than "a slippery slope". It works once,( having a smoke) so you think no problem. Then you do it again, and so on and so on... and before you know it you're a smoker again. Hey Dray, How's it goin? Hey Sully, That might be an idea, move to the regular forums might get us a little more "exposure". Hey Kris! How you making out with flights? Hope you get in alright. 8 mos., a birthday, and a marathon WAY TO GO!! Big grin And at one of the Happiest places on earth to boot!!! ( I LOVE DISNEY!!!) Can't wait to hear a race report on that one! TTYL,Andy
                      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon