Ex-smokers support

weekly thread (Read 340 times)

Gotta TRI

Hey all! I'm doing great!!! Had one hell of a workout today. Man it feels SO good to feel HEALTHY!!! There is NO WAY that four months ago I could have: done 1150 yds. in the pool ( 1hr.) done 1 hr. core training in the gym, AND gone for about a 4 mile run. THAT"S what I did from 9:00am-12:00 today. WOW. That's what quitting smoking does for us. It gives us the power to reach whatever goals we set for ourselves. And this site,.... well it gives us someone to share our achievments with Big grin. OBIE: Congrats on 5 months ( and on backin the Pats! Even if it is by default Smile DRAY: It's good to have some home time for that kind of stuff. It does pile up, doesn't it? SULLY:? HOLO:? Talk to ya later gang-- keep on quitting! Big grin Andy
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
    obiebyke

Andy, you're so positive! I love it. Thanks for the congrats. Feels good to be this far along. Holo, how're you doing?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I am just finishing up day 2 of not smoking. Can't say I am doing great, but I haven't slipped and I really think this is going to take. I found some old nicorette gum in a bathroom cabinet and have been chewing that every time I really really want one (I think it may be really really old, because it doesn't seem to have any zing left in it, but it makes me feel like I am doing something)- not too sure what the zyban is doing for me, but maybe I could be feeling worse if I wasn't taking it.... I have to say though yesterday as I was going to bed I thought to myself "Wow you didn't smoke the whole day" and I felt like I do when I complete a run that is longer or harder than any I have run before. My son goes back to school tomorrow and I don't go back to work til Friday, so I am just planning on running a lot in the next few days, and hopefully when I go back to work I will be feeling closer to human.
        obiebyke

You ARE doing great, just by not smoking. It'll get easier. Stick with it. Keep busy!

My legs are killing me

Holo, good job on the first day of not smoking. Keep it up. Every day is like another mile on a run. Andy, I've been thinking of running the Hampton race but I found out over the weekend that my wife has something planned for us the night before. If I can wiggle out of that I will be there. It looks like a good course. Great job on your workout! It is an awesome feeling. Your an athlete now not a smoker. Overall I've been doing pretty well although I did slip yesterday. Not going to beat myself up over it. It was pretty crappy anyway. I strained my groin running in a New Year day 10k. I rested it for a couple of days and did a 9 mile run on Saturday and it flared up again. So I ll have to rest it for a couple of more days and see how it goes. It sucks because the weather over the next few days is going to be great for running. 50's in the northeast in January and I can't run aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Kris, I m keeping you in mind on your big marathon coming up! Go get em. I can't wait for your post race report!

Big Chicken!

Hi all! I am home in sunny warm Florida!!! Cool It's been nice to be back with family and friends for a while. Even our house looks great and we already have a very possible new tenant lined up! Less stress for us! Only 6 days till the marathon. I am getting a bit anxious. It's quite warm and humid here, something I haven't been in for a while. Running has been slow and I have to gauge my hydration needs more. I am glad I've had 2 weeks to get used to it. Anything less would have been a huge shock to the system. As you can imagine, after not reading emails or checking in here for 10 days, there's a lot to catch up on. So, I haven't read everyone's posts. Sorry. Sad I hope all is going well with everyone. And thanks for thinking of me Sully! I will have a report for you all once we get back home to Spain. Keep going everyone!! See you soon!
              Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Gotta TRI

Hey Kris!! Good to hear from you again. Welcome home. Counting down to the BIG DAY! Can't wait to hear your race report. How goes the smoking? Sully!! Sorryto hear bout the injury. Can you beleive this weather?!! If it makes you feel any better I've got a nagging foot pain that started recently. My Chiropractor (happens to be an ultra runner and tri-guy ) says I need different running shoes. Right foot is rolling in. So, I'm kind of not running much either,sort of Wink Would still like to see ya at the Hampton Half. Hope you can make it. Luckily my wife is running it too, no chance of her making other plans that day Big grin Holo: You're doing great!!! It gets better, It gets easier, It takes a little time. You can't be in a better place than this site, with these people. We're all here for you, and we'll get you through. Obie: How's it going? I see your starting another group, good for you! Looks like your getting some interest in it. Good for you! Hope you still "hang" with us here as well Big grin Well, keep it up quitters! Talk to ya later Big grin Andy
                  Almost through with day 5 Big grin! I had that nasty little voice in my head yesterday telling me, "just one won't hurt"- but I did not give in Big grin. I know if I have 1- I will go right back to being a regular smoker. It is getting a little easier. I have come to the conclusion that the zyban does nothing for me so I have been using the commit lozenges whenever I feel like I am going to kill someone and it has been working- but I am continuing to take the zyban as well- maybe I wasn't taking it long enough before I quit. This week was supposed be a cut back week- I was only supposed to run 10 miles this week- I only ran 2 days and am already at 10 miles. I have been making my runs longer because that is the only time I am really not thinking about smoking and I feel really good- well running and sleeping. So I figure I am just going to run as much as I feel like it on my running days and not worry about miles. Hopefully I won't get any injuries, but I am doing the low heart rate training so they are all nice easy slow runs- so I am not too worried about it. My DH has made an appointment to get the chantix! I really really really want him to quit as well so I will not have cigarettes around at all and no one smoking around me. It is funny though as much as I want a cigarette the smell now makes me nauseous Tight lipped Has quiting improved your running at all? I've noticed my heart rate has gone down some- I am really hoping it improves my running as well.

My legs are killing me

Holo, Keep up the good work! It's tough but you can do it. My wife is a smoker and it would be alot easier if she didn't have cigarettes around but your right they do smell kind of nasty. Chantix works really well so give it a try. My weekly milage really exploded once I quit. I really noticed a change in my endurance. If you feel like smoking go run some hills. It will change your mind quick. lol

Gotta TRI

Hang in there Holo, you're doing great!! If DH gets the chantix, you guys will be golden!! That stuff really works, and if he quits you won't have as much temptation. but you are already over the biggest hurdle which is the first three days. Keep it up! Hey Sully, How's it going? Feeling better? This weathers been unbeleivable!! Got in four yesterday, and doubled that today. Big grin Thinking of trying for ten on Sunday. Getting close to that HM distance. Shocked How's the rest of the gang doing? Andy
                        Holo- Congrats on the 5 days! It will get easier, I promise. And good for you for your long runs. I know what you mean about it being the only time you don't think about smoking. Really focus on how you can breathe and just think in a couple of weeks and then a couple of months your breathing will keep improving. Keep up the quitting. It's a tough journey, but you can make it. And we're all here for you. Andy-I love your pride in being able to swim, do core, AND run 4 miles! Good for you. Just reading about your workout made me a little tired. Very impressive. Remember getting winded walking up stairs? Think how happy your lungs are! And a massage for your 6 month anniversary sounds like a great idea! You're going to need it with all the workouts, right? Obie- Umm...no offense but every time I see your avatar I cringe. GO COLTS! Big grin Had a funny thought this morning...Came into work (a smoking garage) and walked past the ashtray like I do every morning and I looked at it like I didn't know it was there before. I was like, Where did this ashtray come from? And I used to hang out next to it quite a few times a day... How's everyone today? I attempted a run yesterday a nice easy 1.5 miles with no pain. YAY! Today I cross train and tomorrow I'll try running again. Anyone have anything planned for the weekend OTHER than watching the Colts pound on the Chargers? Wink
                        Meg http://megs411nosmoke.blogspot.com/
                        obiebyke

Megs- Changed the avatar. Hope that helps. Smile

Gotta TRI

awww Obie, I really liked the old one. GO PATS!! Big grin
                            obiebyke

I'm still rooting for the Pats. But my new avatar is going to be long term. No more changing it every week. And the Pats aren't really my team most of the year (go Vikes and Raiders!) so I thought I'd let NE go... I mean, who doesn't like a good schnoz as an avatar?

Gotta TRI

Well, that's cool. I've got two cats ( and a dog ) myself. One we call- Pinky Twinkle Nose. Smile