Ex-smokers support

My first marathon (Read 455 times)

The Twister

hey guys..im doing a 10K this coming sunday!hope to get a decent time, i'm planning to finish it under an hour.been training for 4 months already and completely stopped smoking...hope you have some advice for me...you can chip in anytime.thanks
    If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

My legs are killing me

Good luck with the 10k. Don't start off too fast because it's your first one. Just take it easy and see how you feel. After a couple of miles if you feel good increase your speed and work on a good time. Nice job on quitting!
      patarch1

New Haven 08

Sam advice. Start real easy for the first mile. It usualy does not go too fast anyways. During the Thanksgiving run it took more than a mile to be able to safely pass people. Then when you feel warm and confortable, start increasing the speed. If everything is fine when you reach mile 4, then increase the speed even more. I still think about a 10k as a three step race, 1/3 to check if everything is good, 2/3 to get in an acceptable pace and last third I use everything I have. Hope it helps. Congratulations on the non smoking. Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Gotta TRI

Great advice. I like the 1/3's analogy. I'll echo sully's thoughts about starting off slow. It's the most common mistake. It's race day, there's lots of people, anxiety's up and when the gun goes off you want to take off. Seriously, just take it easy get comfortable and then go for it! Best of luck to you, congratulations on quitting, and let us know how it went.
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

good luck! I don't have any advice to add after the guys above!
            -Jen
            2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

The Twister

ey guys!i had so much last sunday!i did 57:05 on the 10K race...wheeew..what a felling...we have to cross 2 rivers and run on the beach side for 1 mile..it was a lot of fun!thanks for all the advice...it helped me a lot on my race..next goal, half marathon!

Gotta TRI

Congratulations! Great job. Keep it up Big grin

My legs are killing me

Nice job! Running a sub 60 minute is a great time. You'll be crazy like the rest of us and running a marathon before you know it.

The Twister

hmmm.thanks for the appreciation guys!just an added bonus for my time i passed a few runners, well, i consider that a tap on my back. ahhh...it feel so good to accomplish such thing.thanks forr the useful advice guys...holding back during starting was the most difficult part the most but i didn't forget you guys hehehe.next target, establish a good foundation for a marathon.any advice for training in such?

My legs are killing me

hmmm.thanks for the appreciation guys!just an added bonus for my time i passed a few runners, well, i consider that a tap on my back. ahhh...it feel so good to accomplish such thing.thanks forr the useful advice guys...holding back during starting was the most difficult part the most but i didn't forget you guys hehehe.next target, establish a good foundation for a marathon.any advice for training in such?
                      Marathon training - miles and more miles. Just keep adding miles to your runs and build up your weekly miles but you'll have to pick a marathon and then pick a training plan. Most are about 16 - 18 weeks.

The Twister

Ahoy there! How’s our lungs doing after quitting smoke eh?I just dropped by to say that I’m so excited by next week, I will be doing my first half marathon, I don’t know if it’s timely enough since I just did my first 10K last December 7.any suggestion or comments will be appreciated.hehehe Smile

My legs are killing me

Good luck on your half! Just pace yourself early and don't go too fast. Remember it's your first time so go easy and feel the race out. If the legs are feeling good around mile 10 than kick it up. You'll do great!

Gotta TRI

Congratulations and best of luck with the half. It's a great distance to run. Just take it easy and pace yourself. enjoy every minute of it Big grin

The Twister

thanks andy and sully...i was planning to really take it easy on the first half...if i could get sub 2:00, i would buy myself new shoes hehhehe (my nike air span is already on it's 350 miles), as a reward.

The Twister

Hello, ex smoker-runners, just finished my half marathon last feb 22, 2009. One my proudest moment as a runner!Please read below my detailed(?) account on the race. Running a race with a tradition older than me was not an easy task…or was not an easy run for me (and bossy). We left Digos City at 530pm, planning to arrive at Gen. Santos City for an early day’s rest in prep for the next day race. But it took us until 830pm to get our race packets since organizers are already busy preparing for tomorrow’s race. And so there we are, slumber by 10pm, which is not a good thing! We arrived at the race site at 430am and there it was, children of all ages, young and old smothered in green shirts and singlets. And it was a sight to see fellow early birds gather just to run! At 445am PA system called for 21K participants to assemble in front of the starting line for checking…and so I go. And whoa, we are only about more or less 20 runners on that event…I felt ashamed to see thin and long legged professional runners in their very shorts-shorts attires. As per say of my BOSSY , “daw sya lang man ang bilogbilog nga runner tidto (it’s like he’s just the only one who’s chubby in the pack) hihihihi”. Which is true, hehehe, I was afraid I might end up last, or worst cannot finish it. But since I’m already here, I’ll give it a shot! I also spotted some prominent national level runners like Stella Diaz and Monalisa Ambassa warming up (which gave me goosebumps), 2 of the 5 runners who qualified for the Manila Marathon.And so there it is, after a brief chat with bossy and wishing her God bless on her 1st 5K, I prepared myself for a bigtime humiliation, waaa. And so there we gooooo…I paced myself properly, urging myself not to run fast in the first half. But wait, what the heck? I was the last of the pack! Well, it did not matter since after a minute, I passed a lot of runners who went off too fast (hekhek). That just gave me some moral boost! Miles 1-3 I kept my pace evenly during this time, I drafted with 2 young runners (I think they are college level athletes, one is wearing some kind of a dust mask). I liked their paced so I stuck up with them for 5 miles. The view of the route was splendid since we ran next to a beach. An added bonus! Miles 4-6 On this part, I have gone solo. I left the two youngsters since I feel the need to pick up the pace a little bit. People at the sidewalk cheers reluctantly, others say like “Paspasi dong kay nabiyaan na ka (Faster dude, you’re left behind)! But I shrugged those off, and focused on my running form…It was on the mile 5-6 that I felt the road was too long to handle, I kept asking myself, “where in the hell is the turning point?” hahaha. Passed a few runners too. As I get near it, I saw the lead pack and, damn I envy those guys…they still look fresh. I though, they might qualify for the 1:15 time. Miles 7-9 Alas! There it is, I can see it…the turning point! As I approached it, a few insects were flying along the way! And, gulp, one insect just found it’s way unto my mouth! I immediately spit it out, then another one gets into my eyes!What the hell? Fortunately, It left my vision when I swiped it off my eyes. Ahhhh…It was so nice getting my turning point necklace (made of plastic twine), no thanks to that staff who gave it to me, I passed him but he did not immediately gave me my turning point necklace, I staff commented on him after witnessing his actions, “Are you asleep?”. Miles 10-12 My second wind already took it’s effect, I increased my pace to a tolerable pain. Passed others and giving high fives with to those who are just going to the turning point. As I run, I drafted with a I think 60 year old man running on a medium easy pace, he said he’s actually a walkathon event, and it’s his first time to join a 21K. he said his rule is, “Slowly but surely”, but that doesn’t apply to me if I need to finish it by 2:05. I left him a minute later. Then there this Philippine Marine runner after running side by side asked me, “Are you a policeman?” , no sir I am not I immediately replied hehhee. He said, he was surprised I was passing him, he was running for 20 years he added. He also gave me some of his water when we passed by a water station, but the water guy failed to give me one! Thanks sir! Miles 13-Finish Line This time I feel like I can finish 2:05 or better, I left the Marine runner bidding him a good finish time. As I run the last 2 km, I passed by 10K runners walking. The mixed pain and excitement just thrilled me. The feeling of giving up and finish it! And also I noticed there is no race marshals to guide the runners specially the disoriented and exhausted ones (like me). I looked for Milo banners, just to make sure I’m running the right route. I prayed, imagined myself on the finish line with BOSSY cheering and buying the shoes I wanted as a reward, all of those gave me the energy. As I took my last turn, I just realized I’m near the finish line! So I sprinted, fellow runners cheered on. As I crossed the finish line, I stopped my timer with a smile, I did better than my goal time!I did a 1:55 marathon! As I claimed my certificate and goody bag, I hugged and kissed my BOSSY, who is still exhausted but smiling on her 5K run, she finished in 36:08. As we took rest we rested…we saw one 21K runner later who took a wrong route (he took the start route instead of the finish route), nobody’s cheking on him. We left the race site and gobbled on some batchoy soup!