Improving Your 5K

sub 19 5k (Read 1074 times)

Benj92

Im 18  I currently run a 5k in 22 minutes flat  My PR is 19:47 at age 17 i would like to get my time under 19 minutes is it possible to do it by july should i increase my mileage should i throw in more intervals what should i do ??? any one with any advice willing to do anything

Increasing your mileage can't hurt, and it is probably the easiest thing you can do.  I worked for a couple of years stuck in the mid 19's.  Last spring, I built by base by running a couple months of consecutive 50 Mile weeks and I easily broke under 19.  I think that if you work hard, it is not out of the question that could go under 19.  But also, you should keep in mind that it is a relatively short time frame and some of the training adaptations may take longer to be achieved.

How much mileage are you doing currently and what kind of workouts are you doing?  You might want to make your log public or available to members of your groups.

Ryan

Benj92

I am currently running 20 miles a week i do fartleks for 30 minutes and 4 times 400m but yeah im gonna start increasing my mileague and get back to you thanks
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not sure if you meant you do 4x400m every week; if so, you might want to vary that from week to week, for different stimulus to your body.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Doc, my tooth hurts

I broke 20 minute 5k in may this year and just broke 19 minutes today. The official time was 18:25, but I'm pretty sure that the course was about 500 feet too short and should been more like a 18:55 5k.  Either way I still broke through another barrier and now can start focusing on breaking 6 minute per mile during a 5k, then I'll focus on breaking 18 minutes. Baby steps.

Next weekend I'm hoping to PR again on a flatter and faster  (and properly measured) course.  I guess running more DOES pay off.