Improving Your 5K

what else can I do? (Read 234 times)

The voice of mile 18

alright got 8 weeks to train for my new "A" race I'm going to be following the halhigdon advanced plan with some interval work and tempo runs as well as some good long runs (up to 90 minutes Shocked ) but along with that what else should I be doing? 1) going to be looking at my diet and try to be "good" less fatty stuff and more fruits/veggies/whole grain thinking I can lose some more fat from my frame 2) hill repeats- may sneak in some of these just cause they are sick and really help me to toughen up mentally 3) weights - will have to join a gym but think i have to turn into a gym rat. weights will help strengthen my legs and help prevent inuries I hope. this will be the toughest as I HATE weight training and hate paying to do weight training.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

sounds like a good plan. i really like hal higdon's schedules. if you are going to do 1) and 3) then make sure you are also getting enough lean protein (chicken, tuna etc) as otherwise you may end up losing muscle instead of fat. aim for 1.2-1.4g of protein per kg of bodyweight per day. i'm nothing like as fast as you but i've been doing much the same as this and have gone from 24.58 2 months ago to 23.29 last week so something is working.

The voice of mile 18

thanks I think I am not looking to lose a lot maybe 3-5 Lbs all together and hope to do this by avoiding the truely wonderfully tasty things like doughnuts, ice cream, cookies, potato chips, buffalo wings, cheese steaks, ect. Cry and congrats to you on a huge improvement!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy