Improving Your 5K

Lets get technical: will help us all: please contribute (Read 1706 times)

Thanks Dickey for the feedback. I think that my training schedule is similar in that I am also doing 3 hard workouts during each week in this phase of my training. I have been doing three key workouts: 3 to 4 mile run at tempo pace, intervals (just did my first one last week) 8 X 400m in app. 86-89 seconds with 200m jog rest, and my long run.
    Now, I also know that this isn't a feasible thing to do year round because I would almost certainly get injured or burned out. During base phase almost all of my runs are at a moderate pace. This pace varys by how i feel, but very few of my runs are true easy runs. At most 2 each week are easy runs. The rest of my runs are at a moderate pace, with a long run each week and a tempo everyother week or so.
    How long do you typically run this base phase? Even though I am in racing mode now, I am starting to consider what I will need to do during the next cycle of my training. My base period got cut short this fall season due to a rib injury this summer (non-running related inury it turns out). I am hoping to get solid base phase during the next cycle which I think will take me from mid-December through February. I do like the idea of doing a tempo running every other week during this phase. I also find that I am similar to you in that many of the runs that I classify as easy are actually at a moderate pace. From the Mcmillan running calculator, my easy pace is suggested at 7:53 to 8:23. I find that most of the runs I classify as easy are actually closer to 7:30 to 7:50 pace. But like you, I am just running what feels comfortable and listenting to my body. The only times I typically hit the suggested easy pace are when I am recovering from a hard workout or taking it easy prior to a race. This seems to be about twice a week for me as well.

Ryan

Thanks Dickey for the feedback. I think that my training schedule is similar in that I am also doing 3 hard workouts during each week in this phase of my training. I have been doing three key workouts: 3 to 4 mile run at tempo pace, intervals (just did my first one last week) 8 X 400m in app. 86-89 seconds with 200m jog rest, and my long run. How long do you typically run this base phase? Even though I am in racing mode now, I am starting to consider what I will need to do during the next cycle of my training. My base period got cut short this fall season due to a rib injury this summer (non-running related inury it turns out). I am hoping to get solid base phase during the next cycle which I think will take me from mid-December through February. I do like the idea of doing a tempo running every other week during this phase. I also find that I am similar to you in that many of the runs that I classify as easy are actually at a moderate pace. From the Mcmillan running calculator, my easy pace is suggested at 7:53 to 8:23. I find that most of the runs I classify as easy are actually closer to 7:30 to 7:50 pace. But like you, I am just running what feels comfortable and listenting to my body. The only times I typically hit the suggested easy pace are when I am recovering from a hard workout or taking it easy prior to a race. This seems to be about twice a week for me as well.
      well, though high school, i had two times of the year when i would build my base. those times were during the summer from June to the end of August when I began racing cross country again. After cross country I would begin another base phase which would last from the end of October to late March, with only a few races in between. so my base phases last anywhere from 12 weeks to 24 weeks, give or take some time. i think that having a long base phase is one of the keys to staying healthy and improving ones pb's. it makes the body stronger and it strengthens tendons and muscles, so that when you do speedwork, they can take the pounding they get, besides all of the aerobic benefits you get from a long base. also, the point you bring up about recovery after a hard day, that is vital! you must recover from your workouts! if have a two each week, but don't recover from the first one, the second one will not go as well as it should. you won't be able to get everything out of it that you should. i definitely agree with you there.
        Easy Pace: 7:45 5K PR : 19:02 (September 08, first 5k road race) height 6" current weight: 192-196lbs milage: was 30 miles, now about 10 miles (knees starting to hurt - swimming and biking more) 5K Goal - Sub 18:00
        5k PB: 19:02. 5k Goals: 6m = 18:30; 1 yr = 17:59; 2yr = 17:30 10k PB 42:20 (uncertified). 10k Goals: 6 m = 41:00; 1 yr = 39:59; 2 yr = 37:59

Certifiably Insane

Eddy, this is getting some interesting stats. Nice idea. My mile PR is 4:36, but that was back in HS 25 years ago, so I'll leave it out. I haven't raced a mile in a long time, but in a good 5k, I'll go through the mile at 5:25+/-5 seconds. I have never tracked my weight, as it's never been an issue for me. I've always been 130-140, and would love to be able to put ON some weight. Here's the rest: Easy Pace ; 7:30-8:00 Weight at time of PB for 5k ; 135 for 16:40 5K (Recent PR. I don't remember my HS times.) Height ; 5'7" Miles Per week. 40+/-5 Mile PB ; (recent) 5:10-5:15? 10K PB : 35:04 Goal ; I haven't been under 17:00 for several years, and never as a Master (I'm 45 now). I'd love to break it this year. My goal race is in mid-August. Second goal: Breaking 35:00 for the 10K in October. Any training tips from personal experience ; 1) Consistent running, month after month, is important. 2) Regardless of what you read in the magazines, you can't race well on 5 miles 3 times a week. I've found that, up to a certain point, the more miles I do on a consistent basis, the faster my times are, regardless of race distance. 3) Periodization works well for me. Right now, I'm building base, and I'm at 45 in early Feb, which is higher than I normally am at this time. I always throw in some strides or a bit of faster running, just so my legs remember what it's like. I'm trying to do core workouts 3 or 4 times per week now, also. I've never done them long term. It will be interesting to see what effect they have. Next phase will be long intervals (1200's or miles) and tempo runs, while still keeping my mileage up. Next will be shorter, faster repeats, while reducing mileage. The last phase will be fine-tuning and serious racing, again reducing mileage. I run a lot of races (5K's) , usually beginning in early June, but I'm shooting for the really fast times later. I have a long time until the races I'm really serious about (mid-August), so each phase is about 6 weeks long. I've tried a number of different training plans over the years. They all work for the most part. The key is finding a plan that you believe in and makes sense to you, and sticking to it.
          On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

You can update my stats as follows: 5k - 18:15 10k - 37:58 For those times my average mpw was 45

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

2) Regardless of what you read in the magazines, you can't race well on 5 miles 3 times a week. I've found that, up to a certain point, the more miles I do on a consistent basis, the faster my times are, regardless of race distance.
              I wasted quite a few years following like minded advice. Now (thanks to alot folks here on RA), I putting much more emphasis on just pounding out the miles. I am about a year into this new training philosophy, and I have never felt stronger. I hope to test myself soon to see if my times are also improving. I have read in so many places that you need to take days off, and that you don't need to run that many miles to run efficient 5Ks. Based on those in RA who are running very fast 5K times, it appears that the opposite is true. You can run everyday! And the single most important factor appears to be miles and overall endurance. In fact, I have found that my body has grown stronger and better able to hedge injuries by running every day and keeping it mostly easy. Good feedback, and good luck at breaking the 17 minute barrier. I hope to soon surpase 19 minutes. Base building at the moment for which I hope to level out at 60 MPW.

Ryan

Wasatch Speedgoat

I'm new to this group and find this thread interesting... My prior life: (before I got into trail ultrarunning) Mile pb: 4:55 (1981) 5K PB: 16:32 (1981) Weight: 150ish Height: 6' Age 31 (when I ran those times, I started running late in life) Easy pace was around 8mpm and i regularly was running 75-90 mpw. At that time with my training i could run a sub 5 mpm mile and a 2:49 marathon. My fastest time was a 13:06 on a measured 2.5 mile course (5:12 pace). Now: I am trying to get some speed back after running slowly and ultrarunning the past 10 years. So here goes... Most recent 5K: 21:06, but did run a 19:52 last June Weight: 162 Height 5'11" (we do shrink) Age: 57 Easy pace around 9:30 mpm when on the roads. Mileage around 50 mpw. Goal 5K: Sub 19 sometime this Summer. Training: M,W&F- = easy 5 miles on trails... Tue--Hills now, intervals on the track starting in April Thu--9 mile road loop with a 20-30 minute tempo run. Sat--Long (4-8 hours) on trails preferably (I'm also training for a 100 mile race in May) Sun--Rest or easy 5 miles, depending on how I feel.

Life is short, play hard!

Certifiably Insane

I wasted quite a few years following like minded advice. Now (thanks to alot folks here on RA), I putting much more emphasis on just pounding out the miles. I am about a year into this new training philosophy, and I have never felt stronger. I hope to test myself soon to see if my times are also improving. I have read in so many places that you need to take days off, and that you don't need to run that many miles to run efficient 5Ks. Based on those in RA who are running very fast 5K times, it appears that the opposite is true. You can run everyday! And the single most important factor appears to be miles and overall endurance. In fact, I have found that my body has grown stronger and better able to hedge injuries by running every day and keeping it mostly easy. Good feedback, and good luck at breaking the 17 minute barrier. I hope to soon surpase 19 minutes. Base building at the moment for which I hope to level out at 60 MPW.
                  Thanks for the encouragement, runInBlack! Yeah, I've been really trying to get good mileage in, but I have a bit of a handicap. I had knee surgery some years ago, and it doesn't handle every day running very well. Even with only being able to run on it 4 times a week, I'm still getting in about 45 miles, so I'm getting 8-14 miles every time I head out the door. Sometimes I'll bike on the off days to fill in the gaps. It's not as good as running every day, but it does help. I'd really like to be about 55-60 per week by the end of the buildup phase, but I don't know if I can hit that on this kind of schedule without a breakdown.
                  On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
                    Easy Pace - 7:50-8:00 Weight - 194 (I'm using my 2004 5K best, not my ancient history) Height - 6'3" Miles per week - 25-30 (trying to get it to 35-40) Mile PB - 5:37 (using 2007, not ancient history) 10K PB - 44:00 (2008 training run) 5K Goal - 18:30 or better in '09 Training tips 1) do not hammer the easy days 2) consistency is key 3) ice hockey is more fun than an interval workout and does the same thing Big grin
                    GST

I'm recovering (sooo slowly) right now and my easy pace is slower but I'll answer this for the time I set my 5K PR (in October, training for a November marathon)

Easy Pace (what you can run at for a long long time with no audible breathing)  9:00-9:30
                      Weight at time of PB for 5k 135
                      Height
                      5'4
                      Miles Per week. 
                      averaged 71 through marathon training (including the week of the 5K)
                      Mile PB 
                      who knows!
                      10K PB 45:17   (the week after the 5K PR) 
                      Goal Sub-20 in 2010

Not sure yet how I'll target my aggressive goal for the 5K next year Smile

keeponrunning

my 5k pb: 20:10

my weight at time: 130ish

height: 5'7"

miles/week: 30km/week

easy pace: 5:30-6:00/km

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

twinsrule

Easy Pace:  9:45 about

Weght: 118

MPW: about 40

Goals:  1st:  Sub 19 minute 5K 2nd:  Run a 1/2 3rd:  Sub 18 minute 5K

Training Tips:  ummmmm...

5K PR:  19:51, course might've been a bit short though Sad

10K PR:  n/a

1600m PR:  5:33

Height: 5'7" or 8"