Improving Your 5K

Sorr if I have missed this.... (Read 808 times)

Go Pre!

What's yor pre k race meal? (morning races) D
      Gatorade

Ryan

Go Pre!

only? OK, pre race including the evening before. Total intake from 6pm race eve until race time.
          Lunch and dinner on the day before: A lot of pasta with a little marinara sauce, bananas, lots of water all day Morning before: 1-2 slices toast, water + gatorade before race, absolutely no fiber, dairy, or coffee
            Morning before: 1-2 slices toast, water + gatorade before race, absolutely no fiber, dairy, or coffee
            Sounds similar to my pre-race menu. If I eat anything, I agree with RacingThoughts and stick to toast. Some days I do go on gatorade alone if the race is very early in the morning. I totally agree with the "absolutely no fiber, dairy, or coffee" comment especially for those of us who suffer with the Runners Trots.

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Prerace meals Night before is anything we are having for dinner, though I will try to drink more water and NOT hit the snack cabinet while watching television. Morning - usually a bowl of cereal (whatever we have - Cocoa Puffs are good) early in the morning and then I will usually grab a granola bar as we drive to the race. Other than that, just water to go with this. For a 5K I usually try to drink enough before that I dont need a drink during the race.
                Before the night of a race, I just make sure to drink lots of water, and I eat something healthy. The morning before a race, I have a bowl of Weight Control Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar oatmeal and a banana (This is what I eat every morning). I also have a glass of Gatorade before the race. I don't drink during the race. I do get the runner's trots....but I have yet to have it hit me during a 5 or 10K distance. It's usually 1-2 hours after the race. I would like to try to get up to a 1/2 marathon distance...and I may run into some problems there Tongue
                Personal Records 5K - 21:35
                  Okay, don't laugh at me, but my pre-race meal 1-2 days before a race is Liver. Last year, just before a race, I had Liver and I shattered my PR in the 5 mile 43: something down to 38:21 So we kidded about it and for my next race, my wife again made liver for me and I shattered my 5K PR from 24:06 down to 21:48 (same course). So every race since them she makes me liver and my performances have been fantastic. Had it last Sunday and went out and did a 5M on Memorial Day and shattered my previous time on this very difficult course (45:+ to 38:18) and set a new 5M PR So maybe it's just that I'm getting a lot better, but this works for me and I'm sticking to it.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pasta the day before, although I tend to avoid the red sauce at dinner. (acidity). lightly buttered toast on the morning of the race.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Pammie

For 5kms just eat normally majority of my 5kms are at lunch-time so a breakfast of either cereal or some toast and honey
                      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Okay, don't laugh at me, but my pre-race meal 1-2 days before a race is Liver. Last year, just before a race, I had Liver and I shattered my PR in the 5 mile 43: something down to 38:21 So we kidded about it and for my next race, my wife again made liver for me and I shattered my 5K PR from 24:06 down to 21:48 (same course). So every race since them she makes me liver and my performances have been fantastic. Had it last Sunday and went out and did a 5M on Memorial Day and shattered my previous time on this very difficult course (45:+ to 38:18) and set a new 5M PR So maybe it's just that I'm getting a lot better, but this works for me and I'm sticking to it.
                        I was actually wondering who was eating all the liver... turns out it's you! Note that it's a banned substance - look out! Big grin

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."