Improving Your 5K

5K PR. Finally I have done it!!! (Read 333 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have just got to share this with you guys, as I feel on top of the world, no exaggeration. For a while I have been thinking about if I could go sub 20 for the 5k, and tonight, I (foolishly, after a very hard track session last night), set out and had a go at it. I was going to just do the estimation for the 5k as suggested by Jeff but what the hell! So it was not an official race, it was a time trial on my own with my garmin.In actual fact I stepped out of the door with the intention of just going by feel, and to my suprise without even pushing it I did the first mile in 6:30. It was then I thought, well to run a 5k sub 20 I need to run at 6:27 pace, so it was only at this time that I decided to try for the 5k PR. Mile 2 was covered in 5:50. It was fast, too fast I thought, as I though that I was not going to be able to sustain the pace for the rest of the route. Mile 3 felt a lot slower, as I was tiring, breathig was laboured, yet more controlled. I was focusing on breathing from my diaphragm, and it helped. The last part of the 5k was uphill, and I gave it my all, and covered it in 37 seconds, very quick. I clocked my Garmin and screamed to myself, as it read 18:57!!!!!! That is 63 seconds under my 2008 goal! I have finally got it, and it want even a race, and I did it on the back of a really hard track session. I am not saying that if I was fresher I may have done better, or even in a race, but I would think it would be a bit quicker. Ayhow, who cares, I have done it, and I am over the moon. Whats next??? Sub 18? God, I dont think I will be able to do that! Please leave f/b. Thanks guys.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations! Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The voice of mile 18

Whats next??? Sub 18? God, I dont think I will be able to do that!
        well it's only january and you crushed your goal time by over a minute running all by yourself. I'd bet on you breaking 18

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Nice job!! Can't wait to break 20 myself.

Just Be

Wow, Eddy, congrats! Smile Cool You beat my current 5k PR!!! Nice! Smile Improving as fast as you are, I wouldn't be surprised if you go sub 18 in the next few months! What was your average HR throughout the run?

Slow-smooth-fast

Wow, Eddy, congrats! Smile Cool You beat my current 5k PR!!! Nice! Smile Improving as fast as you are, I wouldn't be surprised if you go sub 18 in the next few months! What was your average HR throughout the run?
              I never wore my HR moitor, will do next time. I think my goal for 2008 is sub 18 now then. That seems mad, as it is 5:48 average pace. Utterly mad, andit makes me buzz thinking that it is in my grasp and capabilities.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I never wore my HR moitor, will do next time. I think my goal for 2008 is sub 18 now then. That seems mad, as it is 5:48 average pace. Utterly mad, andit makes me buzz thinking that it is in my grasp and capabilities.
                Congrats, Eddy! I'm not a bit surprised by this time. Based on your recent workouts, sub-19 was inevitable. Given all of this, and the fact you ran 18:57 the day after a hard workout, sub-18:00 is within reach for 2008.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.