Improving Your 5K

2 weeks and counting (Read 21 times)

Zben8

Hello,

So I've been putting in about 15-20 miles a week for a few months now with no real focus on training for any particular event. I'm not new to fitness by any means but I mostly focus on strength. I enjoy running though. I can cruise for a long time and still keep a solid 7 min mile pace for an hour + if need be. I was recently challenged to compete in a 5k against a friend of mine in 2 weeks. I am very competitive and I want to win. I'm wondering if there is a workout regiment or any tips that can get me ready to crush him in just 2 weeks. Any advice would help.

Just a dude.

2 weeks isn't a lot of time.

If you've just been cruising along every day and just relaxing, a day or two of uptempo work this week might help just get you used to racing at a faster pace.

Maybe try a 5 mile run where you warm up a mile, then do 3 miles or so going hard for a minute and then going back to your normal pace for a minute. Then finish up the last mile at a normal easy pace. Not a kill yourself workout, but something to get the legs turning over.

Also, a session or two of strides. Do 4-6 that are 10-15 seconds long at 90-95% of your maximum pace with a good rest between (2-3 minutes) to help get the turnover going. If you have a hill, doing them up a hill might be good.

Other than that, if there are any characteristics of the course, try doing some work on that. If the course is hilly, try to get some hills in. If it is on dirt or trails, run those.

Don't try to cram a bunch of really hard workouts in. You'll probably just end up being tired and beat up for your race, and your body won't have enough time to adapt to them and get stronger/faster.

The day or two before the race back off and do light easy jogging. Maybe a couple accelerations to keep your legs loose.

Have fun!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...