Improving Your 5K

When in a 5K does the pain start for you? (Read 854 times)

The pain starts at 2k, is pronounced at 3k, excruciating at 4k, with the last 500m being a combination of numbness and fire.

In a nutshell, I find the 5k to be a painful ordeal, and I hope that speed will reduce the length of my suffering.

5k PB: 19:02. 5k Goals: 6m = 18:30; 1 yr = 17:59; 2yr = 17:30 10k PB 42:20 (uncertified). 10k Goals: 6 m = 41:00; 1 yr = 39:59; 2 yr = 37:59
    jeffdonahue

A 5K should be painful, I consider it the sprint of long distance running.

The pain for me usually stzrts around the 1 mile mark, when I realize I may have gone out too fast.  I try to settle into and hold the same pace for mile 2 but I always slow down.  Mile 3 is really painful as I try to pick up the pace for the last mile and catch at least one more person.

The last 200-400 yards are excrutiating as I am all out for that portion - finish hard or not at all.  I typically go by the "one minute rule" that I read about somewhere.  You can do anything for one minute - anything.  So I feel that for that last minute of the race I can just flat out sprint as hard as I can for one minute (maybe a littel more).

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

This came up before.  Pain vs discomfort.  Still feels painful though. Smile   Anyway, my discomfort level rises more rapidly after the 2 mile mark if I pace well.  If I don't pace well early, 1.5 miles.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

unfortunatly I always go out too fast because the first mile feels pretty easy.  So at 1.5 miles I'm feeling it and starting to slow as I pray for the 2-mile mark to appear. 

so basically... I fit the "don't pace well" as described by RunAsics, an assesment I fully agree with. 

Well i guess may be in between.

Mile 1 feel awesome ... Too good and know as usual probably too fast , try to level off effort as know what is coming.

Around 1.5 defintly feel like this is going to stop being fun any momement .... Maybe its just thinking about the pain soon to come.

Mile 2 the "discomfort" is here ... Would not say pain more like the feeling that one could die right now, maybe more phsychological.

About 2.5 - 2.75 start to realize going to make it one way or the other trying to hang on pace.

Last .25 mile try to follow the 1 minute rule and just give what I got and even in bad races seem to have a little better kick than those around me.

Worst part for me seems to be the first 10 - 20 seconds after the race as you get that rush back to reality ... especially if chute is jammed with runners waiting for volunteers to rip tags, etc.   I need to keep moving.

All that being said, I dont run a lot of 5ks (2 this year within 2 weeks back in Early june) ..... Maybe because of the Pain

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Worst part for me seems to be the first 10 - 20 seconds after the race as you get that rush back to reality ... especially if chute is jammed with runners waiting for volunteers to rip tags, etc.   I need to keep moving.

+1.  I feel like my body is about to explode if I have to stop dead in my tracks.  My last 10k was like that.  I had to jam on the brakes then get my chip removed before leaving in the way too short chute.  It took FOREVER, well at least 30 seconds.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I agree about needing to keep moving at the end of a race.   I don't like the first half mile either, when I feel like "what am I doing here", and want to go back to my car and read the paper.  I feel tired at fistt, but after that I feel better for the rest of the race.

+1.  I feel like my body is about to explode if I have to stop dead in my tracks.  My last 10k was like that.  I had to jam on the brakes then get my chip removed before leaving in the way too short chute.  It took FOREVER, well at least 30 seconds.

I never stop if at all possible and let them get my chip initially ... just tell them "Look I will be right back with it".  Walk to at least grab a bottle of water and if hot dump 3/4 over head and drink the rest .... then walk back and let them get my chip.  Some volunteers do try to tackle you but usually a good raised forearm ready to be delivered at speed deters them

My summer goal/pr 5 miler was a zoo at the chute with dozens of runners getting backed up in the chute after the mat .. so just jumped the rope/flag thing walked around and entered the chip removal /water area from the back. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

she runs like a girl

for me: first 500m

but hey, the faster you run, the faster you're done Smile

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"