Improving Your 5K

Race Report (Read 372 times)

I ran a 5k yesterday. Probably not the wisest thing to do with having just ran my first marathon last Sunday, but I'm anxious to reach my 5k goal. The race was small, I'm thinking less than 50 runners. The temp was chilly compared to what we've been used to, it was probably just under 60 at the time of the race and there was a wind that kept anyone from staying warm at the starting line. Joe_h ran this race as well. Before the race I asked him if it would be okay if I attempted to keep up with him (he'd be my pace bunny!). He said okay and then reminded me of his usual crazy fast first mile. Well, FINALLY the gun went off and the race was on. My legs/body were far from warmed up at that point after getting off to a late start, so I felt stiff. Right off Joe was speeding ahead, so I quickly caught up and did my best to keep up with him. That didn't last long. I managed to keep him close for the first mile but then my legs said "NO MORE OF THAT" and I dropped back a bit. The course was flat so it should have been a perfect chance to reach my goal but my legs felt like lead the entire race. It was brutal. And with going out much too fast in my attempt to keep up with Speedy (aka Joe) I wasn't able to get my breathing under control the whole race. Coming into the final stretch, which was actually on an (it hasn't been used in years and years) airport runway (very cool!), I looked ahead and saw Joe crossing the finish line. I was side to side with some guy and for 2 seconds thought of how nice it would be to "sprint" ahead of him. But, once again, my legs said "NO MORE OF THAT"...and after a few strides the man went a little faster, finishing just in front of me. I crossed the finish line at 21:30, Joe crossed at 21:02. I was the first female to finish the race, which is a first ever for me! I was a little annoyed at having raced poorly, but I was happy with my time. This makes two races in a row of under 21:40 times. This is a good indication that I'm nearing my 21 minute goal. I just have to work a little harder with my training and get better at pacing myself for that first mile. It's my new PR ( but only by 6 seconds). Thanks pace bunny Joe! Big grin

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

whoa! i didn't know that was a pr!?!?! a this is a week after your first marathon - you're one sick puppy. those pale ales must be really working for you. it was an ok race not sure I'd do it again. well today is Day 1 for my sub 20 5k a 3 miler

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

whoa! i didn't know that was a pr!?!?! a this is a week after your first marathon - you're one sick puppy. those pale ales must be really working for you. it was an ok race not sure I'd do it again. well today is Day 1 for my sub 20 5k a 3 miler
        Maybe the Pale Ale on Friday night really did help! Funny. And I agree, I won't do that race again either. It's a shame too, since it's a good cause and all. It was just too much money for the lack of organization. It was cool that they had WMMR there, and with all the fun stuff they had for the kids, that was nice too. What do you mean Day 1? A new training plan?

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

yep following halhigdon advanced plan for the 5k so I can break 20 minutes hopefully at the 11/13 5k at delval college. I need a goal to train for and think losing 1 minute in 2 months is possible especially considering the lack of speed/tempo/hill repeats I've had over the summer.

yep following halhigdon advanced plan for the 5k so I can break 20 minutes hopefully at the 11/13 5k at delval college. I need a goal to train for and think losing 1 minute in 2 months is possible especially considering the lack of speed/tempo/hill repeats I've had over the summer.
            Ohhh, cool. Good luck. I am HORRIBLE at sticking to a training plan. Ummmm, how come your running log isn't public? Or at least public for this or the Montgomery County Group? Just wondering. Over the winter my treadmill speed workouts helped me greatly. And now that I'm done with my attempt at marathon training, I'll get back into more tempo runs on my usual 5k route which has some big hills. The hills have helped me in the past and I think will help me a lot now. In my opinion, I think you'll reach your goal with adding in the speed and hill workouts. You have a great base time down so now you've just got to iron out the wrinkles! Big grin

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

I never set up my training log here. i usually just track my training on an excel spreadhseet I have on my work computer.

I never set up my training log here. i usually just track my training on an excel spreadhseet I have on my work computer.
                Okay, just curious. Go ahead, be stingy like that. Tongue

Michelle

Slow-smooth-fast

good race, especially after the marathon. you must be pleased. I am going to attemp my sub 20 5k soon, after all I have been able to run 3 mile at 6.30 pace, so in a race, shouldnt really be a problem. Let's see eh

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

good race, especially after the marathon. you must be pleased. I am going to attemp my sub 20 5k soon, after all I have been able to run 3 mile at 6.30 pace, so in a race, shouldnt really be a problem. Let's see eh
                    Thanks! Sounds like you're well on your way to that sub 20 5k. That's exciting!! I'm jealous. I haven't even begun to dream about a time like that. Good luck!

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

Thanks! Sounds like you're well on your way to that sub 20 5k. That's exciting!! I'm jealous. I haven't even begun to dream about a time like that. Good luck!
                      Oh BS! you ran a 21:30 a week after a marathon on unmarked course with no one to run with. I don't think you're as far as you think

Oh BS! you ran a 21:30 a week after a marathon on unmarked course with no one to run with. I don't think you're as far as you think
                        Did you just curse at me?!?! That's rude. Big grin And I did have someone to run with, you. I just couldn't keep up with you, either that or you couldn't slow down for me.

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

I suck at running at steady pace BUT i'll make you a deal you recover from the marathon fully and I'll wear the bunny ears and pace you for hopefully something under 21:00

I suck at running at steady pace BUT i'll make you a deal you recover from the marathon fully and I'll wear the bunny ears and pace you for hopefully something under 21:00
                            THAT would be awesome! Hmmmm, now where can I find some bunny ears? I guess asking you to wear the tail would be pushing my luck. It would make for some cute pictures though! Big grin

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

THAT would be awesome! Hmmmm, now where can I find some bunny ears? I guess asking you to wear the tail would be pushing my luck. It would make for some cute pictures though! Big grin
                              HA HA HA HA NO! only catch the race has gotta be a sunday 5k

HA HA HA HA NO! only catch the race has gotta be a sunday 5k
                                Smile Okay, pick one and let me know. Oh, and it has to be BEFORE my birthday which is the end of November.

Michelle