Improving Your 5K

Goal (Read 933 times)

The voice of mile 18

welcome back to running!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

PR - 18:51 Goal - sub 18:36. I'm planning to make this goal in my Spring 2008 5k A race. Ideally, I want to be consistently be in the low 18s.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

PR: 23:17 Goal: Sub 20? Is that too lofty of a goal for my second year of running? I've run three 5K's, 29:57 (August), 26:09 (September), 23:17 (October). Best of luck to everyone.
          wow - you are still improving very fast indeed. i don't see why sub 20 shouldn't be very achievable

Slow-smooth-fast

My current PR which was about 5 months ago is just over 21. I have been doing Low HR training, and now I can do easy miles under 8 min mile pace using my heart rate monitor, so I am thinking that this should translate into a sub 20 min 5k. I will have to wait and see as I will be doing more base building until I reach a plateau. Anyone else feel free to post their easy pace and their 5k pr so we can see the relationship. Remember easy is strictly 100% aerobic.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I would be thrilled to race a 5K in 19:59 or better. There is an April 5K I have run in the past with these times: 2002 21:33, 2003 20:18, 2004 20:06, 2005 20:04, 2006 did not race, and 2007 20:24. I plan to run it again this year. My all time 5K PR is 19:04 set in high school. The 20:04 I ran in 2005 is my current PR.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

PR: 16:23.9 (set in 1989 at a road race when I was a high school senior) Current time: 19:30~20:00 (I haven't raced so this is based on workouts) Goal (for first half of 2008) : Sub 18:00 My PR is ancient, so I'm simply trying to get back into things and gradually get faster (just re-started running seriously about 1 year ago after several years of not much).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My current PR which was about 5 months ago is just over 21.
                  Based on that 800m workout you did recently, I think you're definitely ready to run sub-19.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

TexasRunner

I'm similar to a couple of people here: All-Time PR: 14:40 when I was in college in 1986. I'm 43 now. For the last 10 years, I've continued to run but not race or train hard due to my kids' activities. It's hard to run a race when they have soccer games at the same time. My recent best is 20:09. I'd like to be under 18 by the end of 2008. With the time now to increase my mileage and race more often, I think it's doable.
                    jeffdonahue

My PR is 21:00 My goal is 19:30 I dont really have a timeframe for it, but am shooting to get a PR (not necessarily the 19:30) at the end of April when the weather is better.

Just Be

Current PR is 19:09 set on Nov 19th 2007. I'd like to go sub 15:00 by the end of the year, I think I can do it, but it'll be tough. My all time PR is 14:08 set back in my college years. If I can go sub 13 by the end of 2009 I'll be one extremely happy dude! Big grin I probably won't attempt another 5k PR until March, but I think I'm probably in 17:30ish shape right now, in March when I go for the PR, I'm shooting for sub 16, sub 15 will be nice, but I'll be happy with something in the 16 range. EDIT: To add a bit of history for those who don't already know, I pretty much totally stopped running when I was 22. I got a little chunky but not overweight by any means, my heaviest was 165 lbs, but I looked really skinny. I was so angry with myself for letting myself go, pudgy stomach, no muscle definition anymore, not even a single ab was visible. All throughout my youth athletic career, coaches (soccer, baseball) always told me I was one of, if not the, most talented runner they'd ever seen. In middle school one of them encouraged me to reach my full potential so I tried but it was hard and I didn't like really hard things back then. I ran passively for about 4 years, then really got into it competitively with friends in high school at around the age of 16, so I have a competitive history of running spanning about 6 years before the lapse that started when I was 22. I need to start now more than ever if I am to reach my true potential, before my 'golden years' have passed. Honestly, I'm hoping my dedication and smart training and final potential plateau point will secure me a spot in the 2012 summer Olympics, but we shall see! At least if I don't make it that far I can take comfort in the fact that I tried and determined where the performance road truly ends for me.
                          Based on that 800m workout you did recently, I think you're definitely ready to run sub-19.
                          Wow, you really nailed that one. Big grin

Slow-smooth-fast

Wow, you really nailed that one. Big grin
                            Agreed, you were perfect right! My new goal for the year is sub 18, probably sub 17, by one thing at a time.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

PR: 23:17 Goal: Sub 20? Is that too lofty of a goal for my second year of running? I've run three 5K's, 29:57 (August), 26:09 (September), 23:17 (October). Best of luck to everyone.
                              Getting closer. Set a new PR this past Saturday- 22:08. Mile 3 would have been sub 7 but my stomach started cramping and I slowed down some. From the Garmin / SportTracks: Mile 1 - 7:23 min. - 7:23 min. Mile 2 - 7:11 min. - 14:34 min. Mile 3 - 7:02 min. - 21:36 min. Last 0.1 - 32 sec. - 22:08 min. Total miles: 3.1 Average Pace : 7:08 Fastest Pace: 4:38 Average Heart Rate: 197 Max Heart Rate: 210
                              Len

Damn Yankee

Current 5k PR- 21:34 2008 Goal- 19:30 Probably aiming for July 4th.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard