Improving Your 5K

Sub 6mpm pace - 18:36 or bust! (Read 929 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

My goal for this year was to improve on my 5k PR of 18:51 set last Fall. I really wanted to get under a 6mpm average, which comes out to an 18:36. Today, with almost ideal conditions I pulled it off in my 5k A-race. I was not sure I could do it after my 10k PR last weekend and some "iffy" training. My recent 8k put me on an 18:24 5k under ideal circumstances. I ran 18:22 (unoffical). That's a 29 second PR! My splits were as follows: Mile 1: 5:55 Mile 2: 5:58 Mile 3: 5:54 0.1: 0.35 I felt the start of a stomach cramp after 1 mile but worked through it. That and more turns in the 2nd mile accounted for the slower split. Still, I was passing folks all the way to the line. I can now smell the hint of a sub 18:00 time Smile

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Nice job... that's a really awesome time.
        Congrats - outstanding pacing
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Congrats - outstanding pacing
          Awesome negative splits. That's the way to run 'em!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Great work. I am hoping to meet the 6:00/Mile mark sometime this year as well.

Ryan

Slow-smooth-fast

Congrats, that must feel awesome to you. I am still in pursuit of this one. I did a tempo last night. Last mile of 3 in 5:51, and that felt wickedly fast, dont know how I woul sustain that over 3.1 miles. I think when I am a little lighter it will be achievable. My brother is 35 lbs lighter than I am, and he can do half marathon at 5:45 pace, that I am in awe of. I know there is definitely more speed in store for me, as I did a 18:57 at 186lbs, so if I get to 168lbs I should be flying.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Congrats, that must feel awesome to you. I am still in pursuit of this one. I did a tempo last night. Last mile of 3 in 5:51, and that felt wickedly fast, dont know how I woul sustain that over 3.1 miles. I think when I am a little lighter it will be achievable. My brother is 35 lbs lighter than I am, and he can do half marathon at 5:45 pace, that I am in awe of. I know there is definitely more speed in store for me, as I did a 18:57 at 186lbs, so if I get to 168lbs I should be flying.
                Thanks. I still can't believe that I did it. However; you'll be surprised - in a race it's not as hard as you think. In the first mile I felt like I was running too slow... after that it was a matter of keeping focused on cadence, form and also relaxing since it's real easy to drop 10 seconds in the 2nd mile without knowing it. Currently, I'm hovering around 146lbs simply due to more running. I was ~150 when I ran 18:51 last November on a very twisty-turny course. I'd run 18:52 in October on a better course. Then, over the winter I trained for a HM, then switched to a 10k plan. As a result, this year I've PR'ed in the HM, 8k, 10k and 5k. 10 miler is next on the list. BTW: your brother is bloody fast! It's good to have a rabbit that you can chase. That'll pull your times down.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Right on Hereford...

Awesome job! Your splits look great, too. My official 5k goal is to beat 19 minutes this year, but I ran 19:02 in my first race, so now I'm thinking sub-6mpm is a worthy challenge. Of course, I ran 19:40 in my next 5k, so the sub-19 is still on the "to-do" list, lol. Took a peek at your log. It looks like you're running just a few more miles than I am, and you're running 5 days a week compared to my 4. You aren't doing very many (or very long) long runs, and no tempo workouts. And all your speedwork is either on the treadmill or in races. Interesting! That's very different from what I've been doing. But it certainly seems like it's working for you! A sub-18 would be a great achievement.

Slow-smooth-fast

Well I am way heavier than you are. I should do a lot better when my weight drops a little more, but I have to think about what is sustainable, because at the end of the day I have come down from 266lbs so it aint bad going. I still want to have a life and enjoy the occasional treat and beer. When you have lost a lot of weight it is always easy to put it on, so in order to stay at a low weight for me means literally 100% focus and dedication. It is possible for me but it would mean I would leave a boring life. Admittedly my times would improve but it would effect myself and my family, and I dont want it to cause problems at home, that is when it is going too far.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Awesome job! Your splits look great, too. My official 5k goal is to beat 19 minutes this year, but I ran 19:02 in my first race, so now I'm thinking sub-6mpm is a worthy challenge. Of course, I ran 19:40 in my next 5k, so the sub-19 is still on the "to-do" list, lol. Took a peek at your log. It looks like you're running just a few more miles than I am, and you're running 5 days a week compared to my 4. You aren't doing very many (or very long) long runs, and no tempo workouts. And all your speedwork is either on the treadmill or in races. Interesting! That's very different from what I've been doing. But it certainly seems like it's working for you! A sub-18 would be a great achievement.
                      When I backfilled the log from my spreadsheet, I noticed that same thing. I was very concerned that my tempo runs had dried up but it turns out that my recent races were good surrogates. Then I realized that the log is somewhat deceiving. Prior to late January / early February I was doing weekly tempo runs, intervals (400s, 800, miles) and weekly long runs of upto 13 miles, which intensified as part of my HM training late in the year and through the New Year. All runs were based on the McMillan pace calculator using a 18:51 5k time. For example; my tempo runs were 5-6 miles at 6:30 to 6:40 mpm pace + WU & CD. Note I do all of my speedwork on an indoor track or the treadmill. It works for me. Saves my legs and keeps me on pace. After the HM in early February, I switched to a 10k plan so my runs changed. The tempos were mostly replaced with progression runs/races and fast finish runs and then by just intervals. At the same time, my treadmill running went up as the weather here made it impossible to get in quality workouts outside. In general, my training in the Q4 of 2007 is the reason for my current performances, I just worked to peak for the races.This type of training is a shift from my historical norm where I'd do a tempos run, intervals and medium to longish run every week. With that alone I averaged 20 mpw and ran a 66:55 10 miler and was always in the mid to low 19s for the 5k. There'll be another shift after this weekend when I run my last Spring 5k. I'll shift to more tempo running and long runs leading up to a couple of 10 milers and into marathon training.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Well I am way heavier than you are. I should do a lot better when my weight drops a little more, but I have to think about what is sustainable, because at the end of the day I have come down from 266lbs so it aint bad going. I still want to have a life and enjoy the occasional treat and beer. When you have lost a lot of weight it is always easy to put it on, so in order to stay at a low weight for me means literally 100% focus and dedication. It is possible for me but it would mean I would leave a boring life. Admittedly my times would improve but it would effect myself and my family, and I dont want it to cause problems at home, that is when it is going too far.
                        Finding the right balance is very tough - it took me a long time. Luckily my wife is a triathlete so when training picks up we can be boring together. However; I've pulled the plug on many a night out but still try to have fun - that includes beer, wine and beer with pizza. Also, I've always been skinny so find it hard to relate to weight related challenges but, none the less, your weight loss is awesome. Best of luck to you - with your training you're a lot closer than you think. Often it's a case of finding the right race.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Managed an 18:27 this morning on tired legs. Pretty happy with the time but not by the fact that I had no kick at the end. I was about 30 secs behind 5th place with a guy on my shoulder from Mile 1. I pushed in Mile 2 to drop the guy but he stayed with me. With about 3/4 M to go he pulled level and then ahead. I stayed with him but he dropped me in final stages. He looked like he was in his late teens / early 20s so I guess I can't complain... Splits: 6:00 / 5:51 / 5:58. 7th overall and 2nd in my age group (M35-39).

Right on Hereford...

Managed an 18:27 this morning on tired legs.
                            Awesome job! Looks like you are getting solid at the sub-6 pace for a 5k. RunAsics, you are the runner I aspire to be!
                            RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Awesome job! Looks like you are getting solid at the sub-6 pace for a 5k. RunAsics, you are the runner I aspire to be!
                              You're not too shabby yourself! Your training log shows solid workouts and looks similar to mine from last Fall when I finally got under 19 mins in the 5k. That was a watershed for me and gave me confidence to put in a lot of hard work over the winter to get in the position I'm in now. Your log and prior comments actually reminded me that I need to get back to weekly tempo runs... that sub 65 minute 10 miler is calling me as the last remaining PR to fall before I train for my debut marathon.