Improving Your 5K

Sub 20 by October??? (Read 871 times)

BigOwie

Well.......that happened

First 5k in about 10 years was a few weeks ago and I went 22:09. (Possibly a short course) The week before that race a friend had but a goal out for us of a 5k at a 7 min pace before we turn 31 in October. I was skeptic of THAT goal until I ran that Saturday and figured I may need to adjust my goal a bit. Am I being absolutely absurd to think that <20 in the next 3 months is possible? i just joined this group today and i've been reading alot of the threads, it seems that although my weekly, and monthly mileage is increasing, i'm not doing enough miles per run. can i assume this? i've lost 10-12 lbs. in the past 3 months, but i'm still just a shade over 200. as of right now my longer runs really eat at my knees. i'm hoping 10-15 more lbs. will remedy that one. just looking for some advice if anyone has some. thanks a lot and i really enjoy reading of everyone's accomplishments. 8-) in="" the="" next="" 3="" months="" is="" possible?="" i="" just="" joined="" this="" group="" today="" and="" i've="" been="" reading="" alot="" of="" the="" threads,="" it="" seems="" that="" although="" my="" weekly,="" and="" monthly="" mileage="" is="" increasing,="" i'm="" not="" doing="" enough="" miles="" per="" run.="" can="" i="" assume="" this?="" i've="" lost="" 10-12="" lbs.="" in="" the="" past="" 3="" months,="" but="" i'm="" still="" just="" a="" shade="" over="" 200.="" as="" of="" right="" now="" my="" longer="" runs="" really="" eat="" at="" my="" knees.="" i'm="" hoping="" 10-15="" more="" lbs.="" will="" remedy="" that="" one.="" just="" looking="" for="" some="" advice="" if="" anyone="" has="" some.="" thanks="" a="" lot="" and="" i="" really="" enjoy="" reading="" of="" everyone's="" accomplishments.=""></20 in the next 3 months is possible? i just joined this group today and i've been reading alot of the threads, it seems that although my weekly, and monthly mileage is increasing, i'm not doing enough miles per run. can i assume this? i've lost 10-12 lbs. in the past 3 months, but i'm still just a shade over 200. as of right now my longer runs really eat at my knees. i'm hoping 10-15 more lbs. will remedy that one. just looking for some advice if anyone has some. thanks a lot and i really enjoy reading of everyone's accomplishments. 8-)>
      Yea, run further, but SLOW DOWN. You're training at the same pace I do most of my training at, but I race 5K in 17:14. Your 22:09 race into McMillan's Running Calculator suggests an appropriate easy pace of 8:45 to 9:15 per mile or 5:27 to 5:46 per kilometer. Run easier and further. Train slow, race fast. etc, etc.
      BigOwie

Well.......that happened

Thanks Viich, I had a feeling that's what I was gonna hear. I'm gonna try to get in a few longer ones this week, before my next race this Saturday. I realize its not enough time to see results, but we'll see what happens. Thanks again for the input.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yea, run further, but SLOW DOWN. You're training at the same pace I do most of my training at, but I race 5K in 17:14.
          I was about to offer the same advice. I ran 19:42 this spring, and am probably close to 19-flat shape right now. Almost all of my easy runs are slower than yours. Using your 5k time on Jack Daniels' VDOT calculator gives a suggested easy pace of 9:24/mi. You definitely need more miles to get your 5k time down. Running slower will allow you to run more miles with less chance of injury. Good luck on your weight loss -- it definitely helped me (I started 2007 at 220 lb. and am now ~185).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks Viich, I had a feeling that's what I was gonna hear. I'm gonna try to get in a few longer ones this week, before my next race this Saturday. I realize its not enough time to see results, but we'll see what happens. Thanks again for the input.
            As Jeff said, key in this is slowing down as well as running more. How did the race go?
            BigOwie

Well.......that happened

RAINED OUT!!! What a bummer.

Slow-smooth-fast

You are doing just fine. I started my journey at 266lbs, now I am abut the same as you, with a PR of 18:57 5k. On the back end of an injury at the moment so probably capable of about 19:20ish. My secret is more miles slower. Check out my log over the last few weeks.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

BigOwie

Well.......that happened

Thanks Eddy, I appreciate it. A quick update. Lbs keep coming off, although a little slower now. Down to about 195 though, which is nice to see again. Mileage per run is increasing even though Sept. was a tough month with not as many miles or runs as I would have hoped. Had a great 10K over Labor Day weekend, sub 45. It was a pretty hilly course too. I was very excited and shocked to see the time. Negative split even. My 5k goal has been put on the back burner for now, I have bigger fish to fry. In the form of my first 1/2 on November 1 here in Indy. But I am still very interested in the sub 20, just might not be until the spring. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'm trying to put the advice to good use. I think I am anyway. See you out there!!

Slow-smooth-fast

I clocked a 10k of 39:50 yesterday at 200lbs. Finding it hard to get the weight off expecially as I need more foof to fuel me. Think I am going to have a long hard look at how to drop some more fat. Perhaps even more easy miles over winter.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

BigOwie

Well.......that happened

I'm baaaaaaack. So here's the skinny. Took too much time off this winter because I was a pansy and didn't want to run in the cold. Pathetic!!! Started building the miles back up when my shoes started to hurt my feet, took those back after 50 miles and tried again. Glorious!! Doing the Indianapolis Mini next week with less preperation than I'd like. All of these things said........... I had a pretty good 5K last week in the Race for the Cure, also in Indy. 21:48. Nothing stellar yet, but I've been way more consistant with my running this season, so hopefully in a few months I can maybe make a push at 21. Maybe even 20 in the fall or next year. Just thought I'd update those of you who helped me with advice last summer. Hope the miles are coming quick and easy for the rest of you. Cool
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At Frederick they're having a 5K the evening before the marathon the next morning, so I guess that must be the best way to race -- 5K in the evening and marathon in the morning. Probably all scientifically designed to optimized performance according to the new math.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.