Improving Your 5K

How much of your time is spent on speedwork? (Read 345 times)

jeffdonahue

Right now I am running between 30-40 miles a week, with 1-2 hard workouts a week (usually a long run/progression run and then a hill or interval day). So I was just wondering how much time the rest of you spend on speedwork, given that we are all trying to improve our 5K times. Jeff

The voice of mile 18

well none right now but that's because I ahve no races on my near horizon. now is the time to build the aerobic machine with LSD miles

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I am doing very little because of the weather. I am running 30 to 40 miles per week with the following quality: Sundays: 12-mile progression run with last two miles "tempo:" ~ 88 % maximum heart rate. Midweek: 2 X 1K @ 10K heart rate/effort with one-minute recovery followed by 3 X 200M striders. That is a goal/planned workout, but due to darkness, cold, and weather have not been doing it as much as I want. I hope to be doing 5 X 1K followed by 4 X 200M in March and April. Then, in May, I thought I would start some of the interval workouts you posted/described in an earlier post. Fridays: 8 X 100M striders