Forerunner 405

How do you record your running log/data records with Garmin 405 (Read 1314 times)

I've had my Garmin 405 for a week now (my first running GPS) - and love it, but I'm still trying to sort out just how I want to record and collect the data it gives me. How do you use yours? I'm not able to decide what NOT to do, but what I have been doing is: a) go for a run (autolap set to 1.0 km) b) download all watch data (HR, laps and GPS track) into Garmin Training Center, and Garmin Connect using the ANT Agent. c) export the run data from Garmin Training Center onto my desktop , then import it into SportTracks d) record the "key" data onto my RunningAhead log (time, distance, max and avg HR) This means I have the data in 3 places: Garmin Training Center: This lets me see all of the basic data - track, laps, distance, time etc. It is very easy to use too get a street-view of where I went, and look at elevation, HR, and pace during the run. It also allows me to export the data so that it is readable in SportTracks. It is fast because does not use a web connection, and I have managed to install an open-source street map better than the default PCBaseMap, BUT the map is just streets, and the elevation data is way out. Garmin connect: This has better looking maps based on google maps, and a good looking Player that lets me replay the great time I just had going for a run Smile and see an icon move around the track as sliders show HR, pace, and elevation changes. SportTracks: Maps are similar to Garmin connect, but has the great benefit of plugins that allow auto correction of elevation data, and tidying up of some of the "junk" data. Also has a running log with similar features to runningahead, but (IMHO) not as well put together, and a bit complex & "busy". RunningAhead: Simple and quick data recording, and it still has all my running data from before Garmin - but there is not a feature (yet?) to import track, HR, and elevation data. I've also had a look at MotionBased, but did not see anything significantly better than one or other of the other three progarms I've already logged the data into. I'm sure I'll have to become a bit less promiscuous and settle down to a a simpler workflow - but what do those of you that have had system for a while do?

Running - cheaper than therapy

Imminent Catastrophe

I usually take the basic data (time, distance, pace, HR) right from the watch and enter that on RA. Then download with ANT to Garmin TC. Then export that to Ascent for all the details and maps and stuff. I don't use GTC (except to export the data) or GC at all, they're just too buggy and temperamental. Hopefully Garmin will release their ANT software for Mac soon so I can skip the Garmin apps.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ymmv

I have a 405 and use GTC on a Mac using Parallels. I do not use Garmin Connect. I manually enter the information into my running log on runningahead.com. I have played around with Ascent, and may buy it at some point. I always export the tcx file from GTC as soon as I upload from the 405, as I've found that GTC will frequently lose data. I still use mapmyrun.com to map my routes. To do that easily, I use this site to convert the garmin tcx file to a gpx file, then import the gpx file to mapmyrun. I'm really looking forward to when I can create routes on runningahead.com by importing garmin data or a gpx file.

Former runner

c) export the run data from Garmin Training Center onto my desktop , then import it into SportTracks
          You can save a step here by importing the data directly into SportTracks by locating the directory where ANT agent saves the .tcx files for TC. I'm not at home at the moment so I'm not sure what the directory is off the top of my head. The only trick is that every time you use ANT agent to download new data it erases the previous files in the directory.

Ross