Forerunner 405

Device Not Detected (Read 391 times)

JeannieE

Just got my first Garmin yesterday and am slowly learning how to use it.  One thing I cant yet figure out is how to get my data to import directly into RA.  When i click the GPS Import, it says "Device Not Detected."  However, it is connected and detects no prob via Garmin Connect.  So far, I've been able to upload my info to Garmin Connect, then export it out of there and then into RA.  I'd rather skip the step and go straight into RA though.

Any insights for a newbie would be much appreciated!

Former runner

If you can't get the Garmin plugin to work you can import the .tcx files directly into RA. Locate the folder where Garmin saves the .tcx after it uploads it to connect. Usually there is a history folder on your computer that contains the files with names containing the date and time of the workout ending in .tcx. Zip the file for the workout you want to upload. Then click on the Tools tab, then the "Import data" link. It brings you to the file import page. Select the zipped file you want and go from there.

Ross

Imminent Catastrophe

What OS are you using? Usually these types of problems are platform-specific. Mac? Windows? More info would help.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JeannieE

That is how I am transferring data right now ... via Garmin connect, exporting a .tcx file, then importing into RA.  But I keep hearing it's possible to go directly to RA.

I'm in Windows XP.

cat/dog furniture

Just got my first Garmin yesterday and am slowly learning how to use it.  One thing I cant yet figure out is how to get my data to import directly into RA.  When i click the GPS Import, it says "Device Not Detected."  However, it is connected and detects no prob via Garmin Connect.  So far, I've been able to upload my info to Garmin Connect, then export it out of there and then into RA.  I'd rather skip the step and go straight into RA though.

Any insights for a newbie would be much appreciated!

When you click on GPS Import, on the Upload from GPS tab, does it say, "Device:  devicename (Unit ID xxxxxxxx)"?

marathongirl0407

I was able to upload data to RA site directly yesterday.  But today, I tried the same thing, the site kept saying there were no new data even though I ran this morning and had new activities on the watch.

Any one had issues uploading data wirelessly to RA?

I also had problem uploading data to connect.garmin.com.  The upload process just stuck there, never finishes.

The watch was a nice Christmas present from my brother; I just started using it; it gave nothing but trouble.  As an avid iPhone owner, and a software engineer by profession, I can't help but conclude that the Garmin technology is unreliable at best.  Has anyone tried a free iPhone app called "runKeeper"?  It is a night-and-day difference compared to the Garmin watch!

Very frustrated with Garmin.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've noticed that when the watch has trouble uploading to Garmin Training Center, it also has trouble with RA. You might try again with GTC then see if that helps. SOmetimes on the 2nd or 3rd try it works for me.

I agree that Garmin software is really glitchy, now that mine is working reliably I refuse to do a software update 'cause I'm afraid it will break it again.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016