Half Marathon Trainers

Half in Geneseo, NY (Read 469 times)

John, Did you sign up for the race yet? My brother (who I haven't seen in a couple months) called last night wanting to go camping in PA over labor day weekend. I was thinking of trying to get a refund for the race, but didn't want to leave you in the lurch. I'd still like to do the HM, so maybe I can work out doing both. What do you think?
      Joel, I didn't register yet. I am hoping to drive it today on the way to Rochester. Hey, if you go camping you would not be leaving me in a lurch at all!!!! If anything we would just have a chance to meet and then run our own paces anyway. My son is thinking of doing the 5K that day and will be with me for the day. Go do the camping thing, especially if you haven't seen your brother in while. Thanks for your thoughts. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Hello again Joel and others, I finally drove the Geneseo race course today and was extremely dismayed by the quality of the course. I would say that at least 5 miles of this half marathon is on roads that are loose stone, the 1 inch diameter type that are very unstable under foot. There is very little shoulder to run on. Considering this, I have decided not to enter this race after all. I can't see spending $30 on a race that will be uncomfortable at best and somewhat dangerous at worst to run on. Until I find another race, I am going to plan a personal "adventure run" of a similar distance, one that I did a couple of years back. The next village north from my own is a little over 7 miles away. My son and I are going to run it as an out and back in two weeks. So, Joel. You might want to run it. Younger feet might handle it okay. I've turned my ankles too many tiimes to take the chance and also being a diabetic with some lost feeling in my feet, this run would not be for me. Nice dirt and asphalt roads would be fine but not this. John

That's too bad about the course! I think they advertise dirt roads, not gravel roads Smile I decided to go camping instead of running this race too. But, I did mail in my registration for the Rochester Half Marathon on Sept 17. The course is on routes I run all the time, so it should be fun. The race director/running shop owner who puts on the Oak Tree HM was really nice and refunded my money (they hadn't cashed the check yet). I think I'll go over there and get some runnings shorts tonight with the refunded money.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that's too bad, you guys. But I don't think I'd be keen to run such a distance on loose terrain, either (still completely amazed by Trent's Pike's Peak marathon tale). Why don't you both come run the Grand Rapids Marathon with backroadrunner and me? Big grin k edited to repair my horrendous grammar

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sounds like it would be fun. Maybe we could all raise a glass together afterwards! Hey, keep the grammar; it tooks the pressure off the rest of us to write good. (Bad grammar edited in.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, but I wuz an English major, LOL! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Well, I'm still on course (pun intended) with my half marathon training even though I will not be going to the Geneseo event on 9/3. I originally thought of substituting a personal "adventure" run in place of this race but instead I maped out a 13.1 route that is a slight extension of today's 11 miler. So my plan is to run it next Saturday (9/2) for time and, if the group doesn't mind, I will report it here as my half marathon. I just couldn't run that race with so many miles on such a stony, unstable surface, and as my training is peaking for the Labor Day week end I really need to do an unofficial race in its place. John This week: Total miles 29.9 Long run 11 miles at a 9:43 pace I really wanted to do the 13.1 at a 9:15 pace. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think that's a great idea John. But don't give up on that pace--I had a couple of *fast* runs last week out of the blue. Sometimes my body really surprises me...then there are days like today that are kinda meh.... k

~ Sarah Kay

Ok--so I'm going to have my very own half-marathon on Saturday. Half the field dropped out this week. Ha ha-- my son emailed that he can't come home this week end to run. So I guess it will be 13.1 miles by myself. Told my wife that these new cell phones can be GPS tacked so if I should somehow wander off into the woods or otherwise become disorientated I could be found without too much difficulty. My last long run was 11 miles so I should be good to go even if my pace isn't that great anymore. This is my taper week and I hate it. But it usually helped my races of the past so maybe there is still a chance for a 9:15 pace on Saturday.

It's finished. Not just my HM , but my running goal for this season. Now I can go back to just semi-casual running for the pure enjoyment of it. The leaves are just starting to turn colors. Fall running around here in western New York State is spectacular. I met my goal of a 9:15 pace which, if I had set my sights just a wee bit higher, I could have done it under 2 hours. Actual time was 2 hours and 53 seconds. So anyway...it's done. John Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, good work, John! What a great feeling, huh?! My running season still has about 7 weeks left until I am officially not "training" for a few months. You had a nice pace. I'm hoping I can do 10 minutes/mile for my first HM, but I would really be happy to do 10.5-11 and not die, LOL! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations! Good work John! Big grin
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah, John! Cool Enjoy your break... you've earned it! Crunchy red, brown, and yellow leaves, that certain smell in the air, the prospect of hot cider...

Roads were made for journeys...

bas

Hi John, I have been following this thread and I am deeply impressed that you went on to run your half marathon, even if you had to do it alone. Kudos to you! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East