Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 378 times)

vegefrog

The week is finally here!!

MATT! I hope you are as excited as I am Smile

I'm putting up Christmas decorations this morning. It's hard to find things to do with all this extra time on my hands, but this is a good use of it Wink

Trying to keep my mind occupied is another story...it keeps drifing back to the race, just when I think I've pushed it out of the way for a while. LOL.

Does anybody have any awesome plans for the holidays? My husband and I are staying here this year. His family is in Indy and mine is in Little Rock. It's a little sad not being able to see everyone, but it's also nice in some ways because it's a pretty stress free holiday when it's just us doing whatever we want Smile

While we do get together with my wife's sisters we  have relatives all over the place, my daughter in Zimbabwe, brother in Germany, cousins in England, Thailand and Holland, wife's family in Florida and Croatia.

Ran a slow 10.6 miles yesterday, legs felt heavy although I had a full day off to recover. (Old age is the problem, no doubt!)

I do have a problem with going too fast on easy days, through boredom or impatience. This is one aspect of running I will make an attempt at improving this year.

I do feel my form is improving gradually as I have become more self aware and made more effort to make small adjustments over the last couple of years. I am not following any specific plan at this point, any running is better than none.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Ran a slow 10.6 miles yesterday, legs felt heavy although I had a full day off to recover. (Old age is the problem, no doubt!)

I do have a problem with going too fast on easy days, through boredom or impatience. This is one aspect of running I will make an attempt at improving this year.

Simon - Seriously, that is something to work on and see if your legs don't bounce back quicker. Try adding 30 seconds onto your easy pace for a while and see what happens.  Do you utilize a post-run recovery drink? I started doing that last Spring and I quickly noticed a difference in my weekday running - the routine soreness went away and my legs feel ready for that next run. 

MTA: No special holiday plans - no family nearby. I'll put up a tree maybe next weekend though.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

HappyFeat - what does your post-run recovery drink consist of and do you drink it after all of your runs or only after quality or long runs?

HappyFeat

Hi Flippy!

I drink Hammer Recoverite after every run. I started using it last Spring because I was frustrated over having daily leg pains and twinges and my runs felt hard even when they were easy. It has made The Difference for me, no question about it. I still get a sore muscle or two after a race or hard effort; so there's no immunity from that! But my daily running experience is pretty much smooth sailing.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Hmm...I may try that sometime. Thanks for the info! Smile
              Zelanie

Yay!  Last month before I start my "official" HM plan.  I'm bumping up my miles and days per week this month, and so far am feeling good!

No real plans for the holidays at this point.  My family was out for Thanksgiving so we'll probably spend Christmas with DH's family who live here.

an amazing likeness

For me, December is such a month of contrasts...makes it a real challenge. 

Right now, I can possibly hit one of my 4 goals for the year...if...I run a lot for the rest of the month and, really that's just 'running to log miles', something I often challenge others on. The office is getting filled with junk food I can never ignore, so keeping up miles is the only way to not balloon up beyond my normal chunky state. I'm a bit battered and sore, and some downtime would help with nagging problems and give the chance to start fresh for mid-winter races...but would I be better off preserving the base, or maybe giving up miles for intensity.  And finally, I only have 5 off days left in my annual running 'budget'...so when to use them, all at once or here and there to deal with all the holiday events.

Seriously folks, this is some important stuff to worry about. Undecided  I'm tired just pondering it all, and writing it out is more than a bit embarrassing.

It's like that scene in the movie Bull Durham when they're all huddled on the pitcher's mound and working through all the problems..."we've got some serious issues" the coach says.

MTA:  How can there be year-in-review summaries already -- don't you people run in December? Geez. Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TxDiverMom

I'm excited for my very first half marathon on Sunday!  It's my second race ever.  I'm antsy this week, running less, but more because the forecast is 80's.  Possibly a record high for College Station.  I hope that front speeds up, but it's not looking likely.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Running my first 1/2 a week from Sunday! Then starting on a new training plan.  Some family is coming down to Nashville for a week so we'll see how balancing work/guests/training goes.

vegefrog

Hooray for the 2 of you doing your first halfs! I hope you have loads of fun Smile It's a great distance!!!

The weather report for my Marathon Saturday is getting worse and worse. I supposed I'm glad it's the only thing that is a negative in this whole situation. Control what you can, don't worry about what you can't....

But it's looking like 55 @ the start and 75 by finish. 86% humidity. Blah, blah, blah. Just going to have to drink more water then I had been and make sure I stay on top of that. Training runs the past 2 months have been low humidity and low temps, so I wasn't worried about that part of things. I ran alllllllllll through the Charleston summer though, so I'll be ok Smile

Good news IS...since it's going to be so warm I can wear my new racing tank! HA!

Good luck to all the racers, and welcome to new members!

VF, you are ready- don't get in a tizzie it will be fine!

About 6 easy miles in warm rain for me today, then pushups and step ups.

WE are already on New Years Resolutions, MT, try to keep up willya?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I'm a RWOL refugee and focusing on HM for at least the first half of 2013 at the very least. I'm a marathoner by heart, but stepping away from the distance to focus on my speed here in the spring. Just started Daniels 5k-15k to train for 2 HMs last week.  Just ran my 5th marathon at Harrisburg for a PR of 3:47 hoping for a 3:30, but got some bad blisters ad that did me in at Mile 17. Easy 8 miler for me today andlegs definitely had some zip to them today.

Look forward to getting to know group and still getting familiar with RA just yet.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

an amazing likeness

WE are already on New Years Resolutions, MT, try to keep up willya?

I know...it's bothering me. The book on 2012 is still open. You're throwing away 1/12th of the year here folks...come on!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

I know...it's bothering me. The book on 2012 is still open. You're throwing away 1/12th of the year here folks...come on!

Sneaking in to say I'm with MT on this! The end of the year seems a long ways off.