Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 378 times)

Snickers1230

New to the group, so I thought I'd just jump in!

December is going to be a pretty busy month for me.  I'm a board member for a local Great Dane Rescue so we have our pictures with Santa event this Saturday and then a Howliday party next Saturday.  I have a half marathon on Sunday.  I volunteered at this half last year and it was unseasonably cold with temps in the low 30s (I live in TX, so that's cold for me!).  This year, the forecast is upper 60s.  My husband's family is coming into town on the 21st and staying with us through Christmas.  And then I also have a few holiday parties I'm attending and one I'm hosting.  Phew!  I love the holidays, but I'm looking forward to getting some rest in January!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

vegefrog

I promise to catch up and take my time going through all these posts when I'm over this weekend! I will have lots of time on my hands next week, LOL Smile

Hope you all have a great weekend! I'll be computer free after tomorrow morning! You'll have to stalk Kiawahs results page to find out my time if you want to know before I post it Sunday evening Wink

HappyFeat

Hi Jackie - Welcome! Good luck in your race on Sunday.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Snickers1230

Thanks!

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Hi Snickers- sound like fun dog events.

I would imagine weather in Texas could vary quite a bit from say Austin to Corpus Christie, what part do you live in?

I live in Ontario, a province about 1.5 times the size of Texas, and there are big differences in weather within the province.

Had some back pain yesterday, so no running for me, but I feel better today. Planning a long run this Sunday, likely in rain!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

We avoided the rain, very cold though, and feeling a little tired- ran 17.2 kms easy pace. How are you guys doing?

HappyFeat

We avoided the rain, very cold though, and feeling a little tired- ran 17.2 kms easy pace. How are you guys doing?

Well on paper, it looks like a good run to me. Over 10 miles around 9 mpm. If that's your easy pace, what is your race pace? Just curious.

I did a LR of 16 on the paved bike trail yesterday. Now those were some slow miles! My faithful friend - right glute pain - joined me in the 10th mile and stuck with me through to the end. He roped in his buddy - right calf tightness - for company. I just slowed down and pushed on. They kept it down to a dull roar. Surprisingly (or not?) I am not one bit sore today and just finished a great yoga workout.

In reviewing my log, I see it takes me the same amount of time to run 16 on the pavement as it does to do a 14-mile trail run.  I feel like that defuses some of my intimidation about going that far. Yesterday's experience also helped. I was able to manage the leg pain a bit better than in the past and finished feeling good. I'm more determined than ever to master the 16-miler.

hog4life

I start my 10 week plan tomorrow(Ryan Hall), and hope to get it done between the rain. I'm also changing to 3rd shift this week, so things might be tough.

HF my PB for the half is 1:37:22 which is about 7:30/mile- however, that was three years ago.

A few weeks ago I ran 10k in 47:17, and felt I should have pushed harder. I am pretty comfortable at 9:00/mile for distances up to 15 miles.

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains, hope you recover soon.

Good luck with the training, Hog, let us know how you like the plan.

hog4life

Simon, will do.

Day 1 - 6.25 miles total with 6 x 800's at 5k-10k pace, and 1/4 mile recoveries. It was in the rain, and felt good afterwards but was a little tough since I haven't been doing any speed work lately. I believe my paces were all over the place, will know more when the Garmin data is uploaded.

Mitch

HappyFeat

Thanks Simon. I think it's a matter of running long with a muscle that is already fatigued. So once it decides I've gone long enough and it doesn't feel like participating any more, it cramps up.  I'm working on it with the tennis ball and sporadically trying to do glute strengthening exercises.   

I didn't realize you were such a speedy guy! Those are terrific times. I'm impressed.  I think even if I was comfortable with 9 mpm, it would never be my "easy" pace.

I'm not really that fast HF- it was a combination of great training, a fast downhill course, perfect weather, perfect pacing and a true 100% effort- I could not stand up by myself after the finish. I am proud of the time but I could never do it again.

Good workout Hog! I know you are supposed to jog during the rest periods but I usually just stand around puffing and blowing and gasping for air! I am weird enough to quite like intervals, I keep thinking about my form "lift your knees, keep your elbows in" but I have no sprint speed at all!

Very slow run today, 5 miles in 48 minutes, no energy. Rest day tomorrow.

vegefrog

Hog, is that a 10 week half marathon plan? Was it free??

I need a 10 week marathon plan! One that will get me a BQ! LOL! I put one together, but who knows if it makes any sense at all.

HF: sorry about the pains, but I'm glad you weren't sore at all! Great article in Runners World this month about how good Yoga is for runners, but we already knew that Wink

Simon: glad you avoided the rain for your long run. It can be nice for brisk runs, but slogging long hours in the rain is no fun at all!

Snickers1230

Hi Snickers- sound like fun dog events.

I would imagine weather in Texas could vary quite a bit from say Austin to Corpus Christie, what part do you live in?

I live in Ontario, a province about 1.5 times the size of Texas, and there are big differences in weather within the province.

Had some back pain yesterday, so no running for me, but I feel better today. Planning a long run this Sunday, likely in rain!

I live in South Houston.  Yeah, temperature can be very different in different parts and different day to day.  Yesterday was in the 80s and tonight we're getting freeze warnings!

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Snickers1230

I start my 10 week plan tomorrow(Ryan Hall), and hope to get it done between the rain. I'm also changing to 3rd shift this week, so things might be tough.

Hey Mitch, that's the plan I was doing for my half.  I really liked it while my training was going good!  The last month I just wasn't getting any runs in though.  Anyway, I was going to start it again next week for my half in February (and do a better job about staying on track!), but I can't find my link to the plan.  Do you have a link for it?

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K