Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 378 times)

hog4life

Vege, yes it was free but only a half plan. Jackie, yes I have it somewhere and will put it here when I get back to the computer, prolly tomrw.
    hog4life

Jackie, here's what I have;

http://web.archive.org/web/20100724182349/http://www.runnersworld.com/charts/hallchart.html

an amazing likeness

Hog, is that a 10 week half marathon plan? Was it free??

I need a 10 week marathon plan! One that will get me a BQ! LOL! I put one together, but who knows if it makes any sense at all.

Vegefrog,

I'll gently point out that a proven, professional running coach just today posted one his usual long messages, and in the middle of it was this:

"...because I strongly believe it's what you had done 6-20 weeks BEFORE the race that really counts; not so much what you did 2 or 3 weeks before the race.."

You know the pattern:  long / interval / tempo / mid-long / stacked tempo+long all separately with easy filler. Between now and NOLA, you have your base onboard and ready for use.  Were I in your shoes (and I am definitely NOT in the running shape you are!)...I'd focus in January on 12 - 18 mile steady state runs every other week, and stacked 10 - 12 milers the other weeks.

mta: after I posted it, this read way more 'lecture-tone' than intended...it was just he hot pursuit of a crammed 10 week plan made me panic a bit.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

I did a LR of 16 on the paved bike trail yesterday. Now those were some slow miles! My faithful friend - right glute pain - joined me in the 10th mile and stuck with me through to the end. He roped in his buddy - right calf tightness - for company. I just slowed down and pushed on. They kept it down to a dull roar. Surprisingly (or not?) I am not one bit sore today and just finished a great yoga workout.

In reviewing my log, I see it takes me the same amount of time to run 16 on the pavement as it does to do a 14-mile trail run.  I feel like that defuses some of my intimidation about going that far. Yesterday's experience also helped. I was able to manage the leg pain a bit better than in the past and finished feeling good. I'm more determined than ever to master the 16-miler.

Nice run...glad to hear that toughing through it didn't have lasting effects. Whew. You have such a nice build up in your log over the past few months, very impressive.

vegefrog

MT would you mind taking a look at my plan??

It's the NOLA one...

HappyFeat

You have such a nice build up in your log over the past few months, very impressive.

It's been going along nicely, but I am having a sense that I need to be careful. Tempos and extra long runs too close together feels a little risky.  I'm thinking of limiting the extra long to once a month because I want to stick with the weekly tempos.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Guys - sorry to be so absent from this forum. Besides being a rough year dealing with PTSD & other medical issues, I have had less keyboard time since retiring than when I was working. I will make an effort to be more active with this group.

Well I completed the Decker Challenge on 12/9/2012 and am now focused on the 3M Half on 1/13/2013, a race I had bladder problems with last year. They are both part of my PTSD management plan/approach - mini projects to keep mind on other things. Decker was ugly, absolutely a killer! Finished in 3:29 10th from last. Really had to tough out the last 3 miles which included some steep hills - that's why they call it a challenge! I refused to quit and kept the Seabee mantra going in my head - "Can Do!", "Can Do!"...LOL - more on race report in the Pre-Dawn Patrol forum; http://www.runningahead.com/groups/PDP/forum/Post/53b76ae181f64e2caa512c821e3e70de#focus

While I have the base established I'm keeping it going and will do the 3M - not sure what races I can focus on after that - taking it a month at a time I guess. Goal is to maintain base using long runs of 8-12 miles between races. I'll build training plans in RA and stick to them.

Ya'll keep on keeping on!

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Bob your perseverance is a great example- well done!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Hi HM trainers!  Still here but mostly trying to learn rather than posting a lot at the moment.  My plan to get to 5 days/week in December and over 30 miles has been successful so far, and then I'll move into "official" HM training at the end of the month.  In the mean time, I have a 5K this Saturday that will hopefully give me and idea of what paces I should start with for my training runs.

hog4life

I got in a good 6.31 mile run tonight. It was supposed to be 30-45 minutes easy, but when I got started, it was rather chilly, so I thought if I spead up that I could get this over with in a hurry. I ended up with the middle 4 miles at 8:20 pace which was suppose to be tomorrow's run. It's really nice just to swap days around if you need to, right? Tomorrow will be a complete RD, or 2-3 easy at recovery pace.

Mitch

an amazing likeness

Great to hear from you bobev. Way to hang in there on a what sounds like a tough slog. 3 hours+ is long time on your feet when you're having a miserable day, and what a mental battle it must have been to keep on truckin' to the finish.

Zelanie...be cautious about putting too much pressure on your 5K as an HM indicator. Sounds like you're working on base miles build up overall, and the 5K requires you to run right on the verge of anaerobic for 3/4 of the race, then hammer it home..all measured in minutes -- whereas the pace for HM is an effort that you can hold for nearly two hours. I think a better predictor for your HM training would be to run a hard tempo of something like 1mi warmup, 5mi hard tempo (80 - 90% of all out), 1 mi cool down jog and use the 5mi split as your indicator. Just some off-the-cuff thoughts as I read your post.

Been a rough running week for me...last Saturday set out into a 35F rainy run and at 3.5 miles felt a pull or pop in my right hamstring which got tighter and tighter and then went to sharp pain. I managed to hobble another 1/2mi before having to stop completely. Was a long, cold, slow walk of shame home and haven't been able to run since -- sharp, stabbing pain at the first strides. Feels fine walking, but can't run on it. This feels like a full-on muscle tear and not just a strain/pull. Ugggh.

Zelanie

MilkTruck- Sorry to hear about the injury!  I do hope it heals up soon.

You're totally right about the 5K, but I guess part of it is that I just want to do one, I guess.  I don't think I would use it to pace the HM itself, but I'm thinking it will help me to pace the first couple weeks of workouts, anyway.  And from how those workouts feel, I will adjust from there.  I think my final HM goal will be set in a 10-mile race a month before my goal HM. 

Sorry to hear of your injury MT! Take care of yourself and don't try for too much too soon.

Faster run today for me, 13kms or 8 miles, some of it rolling hills. Pushed pretty hard all the way.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

MT!!! That just bites!Angry  I didn't have a good running week myself, but it was nothing compared to that. Hope you heal up quickly.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Wow! A guy doesn't check in for 10 days and suddenly I'm two pages behind!

Sounds like a real mixed bag right now - some good running for some and very much the opposite for others.

MT - Really sorry about the injury. Any prognosis at all on recovery. A few weeks? A long road back or too early to tell? That sucks mate Sad

Bobev - good to hear from you again. Keep up the good work.

HF - You have got me sold on this Trail thing. I am signed up for my first trail race. The Grasslands HM at the end of march. it looks fun. Like you I am struggling a bit with recurring glute pain. Left Glute med for me. So it's foam roller & strengthening exercises as much as possible. Hang on in there. If you have any advice on the trail thing I would love to hear it. Do I need to shell out for trail shoes?

Mitch & Snickers - Having had a read, I am going to give the Ryan hall Long plan a go as well. I have it loaded up here on RA if anyone wants to copy it to their log. I'm going to take one of the rest days off and run it 5 days a week and see how I go. Will follow both your progress with interest, you are on week 1 right Mitch?

Zelanie - sounds like you have got a plan. Looking at your log you've got a solid build up. Keep it up!

Simon - With your sporty avatar and your recent runs how can we think of you as anything else but speedy! Smile

I got out for my first run since the marathon today - an easy 5. I could not have run at all Monday or Tuesday, maybe Wed but certainly could have run yesterday. Just being lazy! Overall, I felt good but there was a tightness in my right hamstring and left glute med which were definitely a hangover from the big day. More stretching!

That 5 took me over 600 for the year; a far cry from my original goal but an achievement considering where I was 14 weeks ago. Likely will be one of the last runs I do this year. I am going back to the UK to visit the family starting Wednesday and am probably not going to get many miles in over there.

Speedy recoveries or easy miles to all.

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring