Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 378 times)

hog4life

Matt, yes that is correct, I am on week 1, and I should finish it with 32 miles, depends how the LR goes tomorrow(my week ends on Saturday). From looking at your calendar, our paces are very similar. Safe travels to you over the holidays.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

SimonR; MT; MAttJ, et al: thanks for the encouragement! It helps for sure.

MT: +1 on bite! Hope it doesn't last long. I hate it when injuries get in the way of running.

Long run was planned for 120 min/8mi but aborted at 90min due to fatigue - was home on Dreadmill. Switched to Sat from Sun because of family event tomorrow morning. Am still adjusting to the weight loss foods and got fatigued and warm so quit at 90 min. I had a banana and Vanilla shake added to coffee before starting, used water, lemon, salt mixture and had one the BeneFit bar at 60 min, but still felt that poop out feeling approaching 90 min. Room temp? Electrolytes? Had slowed the pace down quite a bit but felt it was time for full breakfast and shower. Will have to play it by ear as we approach the 3M, was not overly happy with today. Might add another long slow one during the week. Next weeks plan calls for 10mi/2:30 on feet. Hope I make it.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

HappyFeat

Hi Matt - Congratulations on passing 600 MPY - really is an accomplishment (along with the marathon!)  considering the year you've had. Thanks for posting a link to the Ryan Hall plan in your log. I'll check that out. My home computer wouldn't let me load the original link that was posted - said it was "too risky." Boo on that!

As for trail running tips

1) SHOES - Many trail runners on RA say you don't need special trail shoes for your average trail running. However as a newbie, I am a fan of having a pair of trail shoes. For one thing, your shoes will need time to fully dry before you want to wear them again. They can get wet just from running trails, or if they get muddy and need to be hosed off, or - as happened to me once, covered in goose poop or cow or horse poop and have to be soaked in a bleach/water bath for a few hours. So you need a designated pair of trail shoes - that you don't plan to wear for your run the next day or so. These could be another pair of your road shoes or one of the trail models. I ran in my regular road shoes (Brooks Addiction).at first, but then I read about trail shoes usually having a more "grippy rubber" outsole and more "traction lugs." That sounded good to me. So I bought the North Face Double Track shoe and absolutely love them!! They were only $80 at runningshoes.com which I thought was very reasonable. I feel much more confident about my footing in them than I did in my road shoes because they do have better traction.

I'm also a fan of gaiters. I wear the ones in my avatar pic every time I go out on a trail run or hiking because I'm a "stick magnet."  I can be walking down a perfectly smooth forest trail and after a short time I'll have a load of fir tree needles, pebbles, twigs, dirt in around my ankles.  I think one foot(strike) flips the debris into the other shoe. It can be uncomfortable and the problem is solved with wearing gaiters. 

2) My biggest tip is something I read that is so so true: SHORT STEPS - it's really a safety issue.

Shortening your stride allows you the ability to modify your foot placement on short notice if you need to avoid an unexpected hazard. Short steps also make it easier to go up a hill. In general, short steps enable you to run more safely and efficiently on constantly changing terrain.

3) You can sometimes walk or power-hike up a hill faster than you can actually "run" up it. If so, DO THAT. It's better for your body in the long run. Eventually you"ll either be able to run that same hill or you"ll perfect your power-hike - both are good.

That's all I've got off the top of my head - other than to say always carry water, snacks, TP, cell phone - in case of any mishap and/or you end up being out longer than you expected.

Well, I better get going on my To Do List for the day. All this talk of trail running has energized me - yay for that! Every so often I have a week when I feel Super Tired and everything kind of hurts in some way. This has been one of those weeks. I think it's a combination of  too much holiday snacking, probably not drinking enough water, and insomnia. It doesn't help that it's Xmas time and all the stress that stirs up.  It's not my "favorite time of the year" as the song goes, because it just highlights my estranged and strained family relationships. I struggle to put a positive spin on the holiday season.

Back to running related things - here's an illustration of my recurring glute medius problem. The two pics on the right with the four X's are what I've got going on. These trigger points seem to activate when I run longer than usual or my muscles are fatigued.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Zelanie

5K complete in 26:03.  Now it's time to go back to focusing on longer distances!

Congrats on the PR Zelanie - That's nearly a minute per month you have taken of your 5k time since your first one! Smile

HF - Thanks for the advice on the shoes & other things - I plan on continuing my road running goose poop free so will probably look at getting a pair! Also the gaiters thing. I don't think I will be able to carry off the look as well as you but I will check them out. Question on that: running store or camping store? I did not realize that you had a glute med problem. From reading your other posts (I probably was not paying attention well enough) I thought it was a glute max problem. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE!!! left side for me. It's there all the time but it is really aggravated on very long runs or high tempo runs (not that I do many of those). I have been, I believe reliably, informed that the best way out of this mess is some specific strengthening exercises and was waiting for a friend to email me some. What's your treatment plan? Care to share?

Also - the training plan in my log is not quite the full deal on the RH plan. I am skiiping one easy work out each week. I pdf'ed what was on the webpage and put it here <<--- Can you reach it from this link?

Happy Sunday y'all

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Zelanie

Thanks, Matt!  I will miss that part about being a beginner later on when I have to eke out my PRs by the second.

I have been in a funk since last week's marathon and didn't run a single day this week until yesterday.

I was looking over the entry form for a 5k in my neighborhood and noticed that they were giving a prize for the fastest dog. Running a 5k a week after a marathon was probably stupid, but it was just a quick run with my dog.

Well, it turns out my dog is faster than I thought. We ran a 17:54 and he easily won the fastest dog prize.

It was a fun race and just what I needed to get over my funk. This morning I went for a 10 miler and am now excited to start training for two HMs in early 2013. 

Sometimes doing something different is what I need. I am going to try to have more fun races in 2013.

--

Nashville, TN

HappyFeat

HF - Thanks for the advice on the shoes & other things - 

Question on that: running store or camping store?

I did not realize that you had a glute med problem.. What's your treatment plan? Care to share?

Also - the training plan in my log is not quite the full deal on the RH plan. I am skiiping one easy work out each week. I pdf'ed what was on the webpage and put it here <<--- Can you reach it from this link?

Thanks Matt - I can access that link and printed the page out - I appreciate that.

I got my North Face shoes from an online store called RunningShoes.com

http://runningshoes.com/trail-running?kwid=519,3802&srt=4&pg=1

I see they are not on sale right now. Sad

I bought from there because of the price at the time and because I've shopped there before and never had any problems.  They have free shipping both ways and a 90-day return policy "no questions asked" gotta love that!

I'll send you a PM on glute med exercises a little later. I'm going out for a short run now. Got my Xmas tree up and decorated and made some peanut butter fudge to mail to my sis and brothers. I'm ready for some fresh air!

MTA: I have no idea how I managed to break up your post - although that's something I have always wanted to figure out.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I'm another one of the RWOL expatriates.  I am not training for a specific HM (I'm actually training for marathons) but I like to talk about training and about half marathons in general.  I recognize some of you from RWOL and the other groups I belong to.  Hope I can post here too!

Having said that, my next half marathon is on 12/29.  I've not decided whether to do it as a workout or as a PR.  I'll decide next week depending on the weather and how I feel.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

HappyFeat

Welcome to the group, DocketRocket. Love to have you join us. Can you share the story of your name? I'm curious.

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  It is a variation of the term "rocket docket", which is well used in courts when the judges go from filing of a complaint to a judgment in record time (to get rid of as many cases as they want).  Since I'm an attorney, I decided it was a nice play of that and used it.  It was actually recommended by another forumite from RWOL.

Thanks for the welcome.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Welcome aboard DR!

HR: I've had rt hip problem in similar area, long before I started running. I think its years of compensating for left calf injury. I do IT band stretches, Chiropractor, and occasional foam roller. Mi/wk and standing still/shopping seems to be driving factor for causing pain to begin.

Zelanie: Congrats on the PB! Your doing great. My 5K pb is 36 min and I have little chance of breaking 30min, age and medications get in the way for me.

Jaxn: Great job on the fastest dog! My little 8lb Yorkie's PB is 44min, which include his marking stops. Haven't tried to get him to run/walk a while 5k yet. Will one day once I get used to medically managed meal replacement weight loss program.

Did get out with Baxter this morning for 1.4mi/28min walk/run. We ran at his pace between marking pauses, mostly short. Once he pooped I stopped letting him pause and we ran home. I haven't had him out for a 5k since the training group ended.

Ya'll Keep on Keeping on

bob e v
                          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

an amazing likeness

Docket_Rocket -- welcome to the group, thanks for joining us.

I tried to jog some miles on the treadmill early in the week and couldn't take more than a few strides...so for 3 days I hopped on the elliptical to try and burn some calories while letting my leg heal. Since walking doesn't hurt or strain it, did a couple walks to be outside (always a plus) over the gym. But in the end....well...all I can say is...there it is in stark black & white...zero, nada, zilch, bagel. 0 miles run last week. That hasn't happened in a long time.

So after taking it easy for the week, and I set out yesterday for a light jog expecting to be ok or just sore...but after 1/4mi it was clearly not going to happen, immediately went to sharp, shooting pain in the upper and lower hamstring. Since I was out and about, decided to walk the route I was planning to jog (about 10K). Yesterday was a grey winter day, about 25F with some north winds...so I had to keep trucking pretty hard on the walk to stay warm. I was listening to a podcast, which is rare for me when outside. After a short while snow started, small flakes at first, then heavier.

The podcast was from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) Radio 2 and as the dusk sets in (it starts around 3:30PM these days)...this song came along...and it's there reason I'm sharing this novel of a story....because with the snow, the holiday lights in the darkening day...it was just perfect and turned my walk from discouraged to just a special day.

Kathleen Edwards Snowbird on CBC Radio2

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Welcome Docket Rocket Smile Let us know how you decide to run your half!

Congrats on the new PR Zelanie!!

HF those trail tips are GREAT! I'm gonna be hitting the trails starting in March, so I hope you don't mind I copy and pasted your post into a word document for myself to look at later Smile

jaxn that is so awesome! I used to love to take my lab on runs 5-8 milers, but he is getting older and now he can't keep up with my pace Sad So I take him when I do easy recovery 3-4 miles. I love running with my dog!

Bobev, that's why I only do recovery runs with my dog now! He pees like 50 times a mile, I swear! LOL!

MT...thanks for sharing. Lovely song. We all have those days sometimes and it's nice when something like that can turn it around for you. I'm really sorry about your injury and not being able to run. I am wishing you a speedy, speedy recovery.

HappyFeat

HR: I've had rt hip problem in similar area, long before I started running. I think its years of compensating for left calf injury. I do IT band stretches, Chiropractor, and occasional foam roller. Mi/wk and standing still/shopping seems to be driving factor for causing pain to begin.

I'm with ya, Bob. Mine began in 2005 when I was bucked off a horse, smacked my low back into the ground and jammed my left SI joint. It's been problematic since then and the right hip compensates for the left. I'm afraid of chiro or I might consider that, although it goes out of place so frequently I probably couldn't afford it. I rely on massage therapy and yoga to "self adjust." My MT has been unavailable for the last month and foreseeable future, so that sucks!  I'm going to try a new person out this Friday.  Meanwhile I might have fixed the current instability with last night's yoga workout....here's hoping.