Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 378 times)

FlatFT.runner

Haven't been here for a while , my miles for December have been pretty good to me my long runs on weekend are up to sixteen and mid-week long run at ten, . I've lost around twenty lbs. since mid summer by changing my diet to mostly vegis, and I'm feeling better then I have in years. My plan for the new year will start Jan. 1st with a twelve week plan for my first half of the year. I'm thinking of using Pfitz 12/50 for a marathon probably overkill but I seem to remember a few doing this from RW. Anyway hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Thanks for the welcomes.  I have not run in 3 days, taking a bit of a break.  I plan to run tonight with the running group but I have not decided how much.

Simon, we are a nice bunch on the running donuts.  Hope to see you there too.

Hope everybody is doing great.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

5.14 miles with 30 minutes at 7:40-8:20 pace, had to do this one on the TM. Thought I was gonna pass out for a few minutes. The temp was set way to high for the gym. Luckily I was the only one there, so I turned the temp way down. Temps are dropping like crazy, tomorrow's run will be in the 30's and very windy.
        vegefrog

Attempting a speedwork session tonight. I ordered the Hanson's Marathon book and it's the first one listed...I'm gonna go through 6 weeks of them Smile That's all I really have time for this marathon plan.

12x400 on the 1:45....that's based on my 5K time. It's a total of 3 miles hard, but you get a 200m recovery between each, which you also do on the 1:45.

Sounds doable...I'll let y'all know how it goes Wink

Hog4Life, has your neighbor ever done NOLA before? I hear it gets windy up on the levy portion.

All you guys seem to be doing some pretty serious speed training, 7:40 is really clipping along, so is 12x400@1:45!

Welcome Irish guy- its great to see this thread pick up new members and a lot more posts on the monthly thread.

Have a great time in the UK, Matt. Make sure you try the cider as well as the beer- my current favourite is Strongbow, but try Whiteways Devon cider as well- good stuff.

Congratulations on the weight loss, Irish guy, running and weight loss have a symbiotic relationship, for me anyway!

Steady run for me today, about 6.5 miles.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

Vege, yes, they also ran it last year. They didn't mention anything about the wind, but did say it was nice. They've tried to convince me to go, would love to, but DW is not ready to travel with me running(she's getting close though).

Mitch

vegefrog

Well, if they didn't mention it then it couldn't have been too bad Wink

Yeah, my husband travels with me when there are other people going who could care less about running! This trip to NOLA will be with my family so he has plenty of men to drink beer with while we ladies run Smile Plus who wouldn't want to go to New Orleans!!!!

If it was up to me I would plan every trip around a race Wink We aren't there yet either, haha.

YEAH...so the speedowork was great. So different then just logging the miles and taking in the sights. I focused on my breathing and form and felt strong. I did them all on 1:45 and it wasn't too hard to keep them even...BUT...why OH why does it feel harder then an actual 5K??? I swear that pace seemed insane to hold for a solid 3.1...yet I did it? Actually my 5K is a bit faster, averaged 6:56 instead of 7:00. Is it the race day environment that makes it easier during the actual race??

They will gradually progress, next week I do 8x600. Phew. Speedwork is fun, but tough.

MATTJ have a great trip across the pond! Happy Holidays to you too!

hog4life

Another good run, little sore but I think that was the purpose of WO. 10.04 miles, 6 easy at 10:00-10:20, 3 at HM pace plus 15 seconds around 8:55, then 1 cool down. I'll be at 29.88 for week 2 of the 10 wk plan I'm trying to follow.

Merry Christmas to everyone Smile

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm having a tough month. Between not making running enough of a priority, the weather (shovelling snow for an hour instead of running) and a bout of ill, I'm not logging not nearly enough miles. I did have a pretty solid run today. I'm determined to finish the year well anyway. Smile

Merry Christmas to all!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Hopefully I'm turning a corner. Had a great long run today, 9.7mi in 2:26 feeling strong at the finish and could easily have gone for 13. Looks like I've adjusted for the medically managed meal replacement wt loss program I am on, had full energy, switched to 2/1 r/w ratio from 3/1, and of course it being 30F cooler than when I ran the Decker Challenge really helped, 42F versus 72F!

Ya'll Keep on Keeping on!

And Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!

bob e v
                      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

HappyFeat

Bob - So glad you had a good long run today - wonderful!

Hey Meg! Happy Holidays to you! Glad you had a good run too.

I think it was just a Good Run Day.

I opted for a short LR today to give myself a bit of a break. It went fine as well. Since I'm off work until Wednesday, I'll probably do a longer run in the next few days.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  My rest week continues.  Tried to race a 5K yesterday and was tripped by this girl.  Ended up falling hard and hurting my knee.  It's OK but it looks horrible now.  Hoping it feels good enough to run on next Saturday's HM.

Meg, sorry about you having a tough month.  Hoping January is better.

bob, nice LR.

HappyFeat, nice shorter LR.  We all need a break sometimes.

Mitch, vegefrog, hello!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

vegefrog

Hi Yáll!!

Meg, I don't know how you do it with all that snow. I am looking out my door right now and it's probably 38F and sunny and I'm thinking how cold it is out there...HA. We southerners are wusses when it comes to coooooooooold weather!!

I am running a long one today, going to head downtown Charleston and take it easy. Going to take in the sights and the tourists and enjoy the beautiful city I live in Smile

Nice LR Bob! Glad it felt good, those are the best Smile

Mitch, that is a great MP run! I start incorporating those into my weekly training next week. They are my favorite workout Smile

HF I hope you get a nice long run in while you are off for the holidays!

MT...wherever you are I hope your leg is healing quickly!!!!!!

HappyFeat

Oooh OUCH Docket!  That’s a shame you got tripped! Were you able to get ice on the knee yesterday? That always makes such a difference initially.  If there’s any swelling, you know to keep icing a few times a day, right?

We’ve had no snow at all this year so far (Western Washington). Today is a bit overcast with temps in the 30’s; not sure if we'll get the blue skies and sunshine we had yesterday. I plan on running 6 a bit later out on the paved bike trail.

Enjoy your runs today everyone!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Docket_Rocket

I did and spent Saturday and Sunday babying it.  I was sad because our only cold front ended last night.  But I ran 20 today and I didn't even feel the knee.  The swelling ended yesterday morning.  My husband was satisfied and gave me the OK to run (he's a doctor).

Wow, no sun?  I cannot fathom that. We have a tropical sun here and there's no shade so my runs are pretty brutal.  Wish I could send you some sun.

Oooh OUCH Docket!  That’s a shame you got tripped! Were you able to get ice on the knee yesterday? That always makes such a difference initially.  If there’s any swelling, you know to keep icing a few times a day, right?

We’ve had no snow at all this year so far (Western Washington). Today is a bit overcast with temps in the 30’s; not sure if we'll get the blue skies and sunshine we had yesterday. I plan on running 6 a bit later out on the paved bike trail.

Enjoy your runs today everyone!

Damaris

Fundraising Page