Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 60 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yay! New Month!

I had a disastrous month and ended out with a hacking cold for the last four days. Here's to getting back on track.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

Last month was kinda low for me but I got a new PR on the 17th so I can't complain too much. I started the month off with 6.26 miles in 34 degrees and snow flurries. starting to have some sinus issues, boo Sad

Zelanie

February was the month where everything in my training plan really came together.  March will see me through the rest of the "hard" parts of my plan, and then April will start in taper mode!  So I'm hoping for another good month.

Last night I ran a tough interval run on the treadmill with a 3% incline.  It's amazing how much more difficult things become with even a little incline in there!  Hope that everyone is off to a great start to their month!

Broke my streak with the Blizzard and decided not going to do it while training for the Half 3/17/13 in New Bedford.  I have to sa 2 days of rest and my legs felt it.  Today was one of my last 2 long runs before the taper.  Had to do it on the DM and I hate it.  I can't wait to get back outside.  Hopefull a short run tomorrow if not to cold, since no snow this weekend.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  How's everybody?  Being dealing with long work hours and a sacrum out of place (think lower back ouch).  I did a nice 16 miler this morning and have continued running all week notwithstanding the issue.  The chiro helped a lot and I'm back to normal.

I have a HM next week but I'm really not enthused about it.  Packet pickup hours are while I'm at work and also far from downtown, so if I cannot get the packet, I won't do it.  I've done it for 4 years, so we'll see.

My month was OK.  I did less than I wanted but considering I was recovering from two marathons and that I PRd at my marathon this month, it was a good month for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

10.33 mile LR this morning. I think my legs are back under me, now if I can kick this stupid sinus crud.

Docket_Rocket

Feel better.

10.33 mile LR this morning. I think my legs are back under me, now if I can kick this stupid sinus crud.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daneda

Hope March is treating everyone well so far!

I got 10.5 miles in on this windy afternoon.  I feel like it's been pretty windy all week here.  But it was sunny out, so that made me happy.  My HM is in two weeks, so my taper starts tomorrow.  If I can maintain some self control during the next two weeks, I feel pretty good about my chances of making my goal.

I don't know about all of you, but I'm ready for some spring weather!

hog4life

2 days in a row for double digit runs, which is a first. Today's run was 12 miles, and I'm surprised my legs don't feel worse, but I'm glad they don't. Tomorrow's speed work day will have to be moved though.

Zelanie

Daneda- Good luck through your taper!

Mitch- Glad to hear that the double digit back to backs went well!

I ran my first 14 miler today, on the course that my HM will be on.  I was psyching myself out worrying about what I thought was a hilly part after how much trouble those hill intervals gave me, so I thought it would be best just to see what it was like.  And I'm glad I did, because it was just fine.  The first 5 miles I pretty much know like the back of my hand by now, and the rest was new, at least as a runner.  I was worried about a little turn through a steep neighborhood that the course takes at around mile 9.  Then when I was running today, miles 6-8 were a steady but very gradual climb.  It just seemed to go on forever and I was wondering how I was going to have the legs for the steep parts at the top.

Instead, I got up the gradual slope, and it was a nice comfy downhill.  Not too steep, just a nice recovery.  Then I got to the turns that I thought would be steep, and they were hardly even hilly.  The rest of the course was cake.  So now I will know that on that hill there's no need to do anything other than push right through, because it's the hardest part of the course and not even all that bad.

daneda

zelanie - I'm glad to hear you conquered the fear of those hills before the race!  I did a half in the fall with a friend and we were a little worried about the hills because we had read some comments about how bad they were on some race reports.  Long story short, during the run our reaction was "these are the hills?".  It's a nice feeling, beating those hills!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Melanie, since you have already run your race and love the hills, you can come to Knoxville on the 7th and run those hills with us.  Smile

Daneda- Good luck through your taper!

Mitch- Glad to hear that the double digit back to backs went well!

I ran my first 14 miler today, on the course that my HM will be on.  I was psyching myself out worrying about what I thought was a hilly part after how much trouble those hill intervals gave me, so I thought it would be best just to see what it was like.  And I'm glad I did, because it was just fine.  The first 5 miles I pretty much know like the back of my hand by now, and the rest was new, at least as a runner.  I was worried about a little turn through a steep neighborhood that the course takes at around mile 9.  Then when I was running today, miles 6-8 were a steady but very gradual climb.  It just seemed to go on forever and I was wondering how I was going to have the legs for the steep parts at the top.

Instead, I got up the gradual slope, and it was a nice comfy downhill.  Not too steep, just a nice recovery.  Then I got to the turns that I thought would be steep, and they were hardly even hilly.  The rest of the course was cake.  So now I will know that on that hill there's no need to do anything other than push right through, because it's the hardest part of the course and not even all that bad.

Hope this month goes better for you, Meg!

Good work Mitch and Zelanie!

Ran with my son yesterday, much of it on hilly trails with ice and snow, tricky but beautiful, ducks on the river, a quiet spot in the city.

Busy setting up my new computer today so missed my run.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just realized I've been absent so far this month... lurking I guess!

It looks like most of us are off to a good month or at least better than Feb. Zel - super to hear you ran long on your first HM course. A great idea I wish I could mimic, but most road races in Austin are not runnable until race day unless you do sidewalks, or so early in the morning that there is no traffic! Mitch - glad to hear your legs are back. Meg: confident that March will be a better month for you. Nice job everyone else... hard to keep up.

Had a good 8.2mi long run with 10mi training group Sat. Was kind of forced to run with the lead group since the slower folks were no shows (life interruptions and non-running illnesses). I guess the last few years of LSD running has worked because I had no problem staying with them for the full run, including the last hill at mi 8! It took full 3 min running interval in 13:30 to get up it, and I still felt good at the top. Ran with the lead of the 10K training group on Monday as well. Got to talking with two folks and just stayed there with them for the 5k run. Will hand with the slower group at tomorrow's 4.5 mi run, and bring Baxter to Fri's 5K run - he'll force me to slow down! Sat is a 10mi run with the other training group. I'm going to miss the group running when they have their races. Its been fun and really helpful in managing my PTSD. Have to plan something for May and beyond... cross that bridge when I get to it.

ya'll keep on keeping on!

Oh, today is the 71st birthday of the Seabees! Happy birthday Bee's - Can Do!, Have Done!, Will do again!

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Zelanie

Daneda- Thanks!

Jerry- Thanks, but no thanks!

Simon- Sounds lovely!

Bob- I was mostly on sidewalks for my practice run, although there is a long stretch in the middle that is mostly a bike and running path.  I was wondering on some of the smaller streets if the people who live there see an increase in the amount of people running by their house in the weeks before the race.

Isn't it fun to get to run with the lead group on social runs?  I'm sort of at that in between stage too.  I can keep up with the faster group finally, but sometimes it's not a pace I should be running on easy days.  Hopefully you'll be able to find another group when that one winds down.