Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 60 times)

hog4life

The 5k was tough after working 70 hours this week on night shift, but I got 1st in AG and 12/92 OA, with a time of 23:51.

Zelanie

Got my 5.7 recovery run in with the dogs today.  Legs felt really good, pretty much normal even, which I'm taking as a good sign!

Good run Snickers!

Congratulations, Mitch, esp. after a tough week!

New avatar Zelanie?

I have  been avoiding running, but did 17km on Sunday, and some cross training today.

My son is training for an ultra and did his first long run on Saturday, 37 miles!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

So here's today's challenge....to try bringing back intervals or not. If not, when.  Twice while recovering, I've re-damaged the hamstring by running hard.  There's no warning....just a slight cramp feeling then in a step or two at most...bam, pain like a knife plunged into the muscle, as it tears.

After two fairly ok weeks of easy miles (30 and 38 mi weeks), I've got to get back into some quality workouts, can't keep just jogging along. The dilemma is when.

Just pondering out loud.....hmm.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Got my 5.7 recovery run in with the dogs today.  Legs felt really good, pretty much normal even, which I'm taking as a good sign!

You should feel good -- the last 3 mile splits in your 10-miler showed that you weren't using all your horses in the first 7 miles. Exactly what you want from time trial heading to a goal race. Nice.

Here's a bit more on why I'm encouraging you to not push your training to new level of effort right yet.  If you up the effort to a new level, your body needs to adsorb and incorporate that training level. You may find that this new level of effort doesn't take a toll until 2 weeks from now, right exactly when you want to start easing up for your goal HM.  Then you'll be in the situation of trying to recover before April 14th.

If you look at your race splits, you had enough leg to run harder from 7 to 10.  In the next race you need that same reserve to run longer at the same pace from 10 - 13.  You want to go into your half with the same pop and energy in your legs as you had the other day and then use that reserve for the extra distance at steady pace.

Between now and mid-April, your training paces will probably pick up...that's to be expected,  your job is to manage the training effort and not try to hit those new paces with every workout -- the new paces aren't your goal. (yet)  Running under 2:00 in the half on April 14 is your goal.

My 2 cents.

hog4life

I've taken a couple of rest Fay's and may have a couple more. I'm on nights again this week and it is so difficult to run, i will run some, not just what I want to. I have another half coming up, and there most likely be no structured workouts going into it. This is not a goal race, so I'm not too worried. Maybe just do it as a LR or something while trying to push the pace a little.

On a little different topic, tomorrow is the kick off meeting to our local No Boundries( NOBO) program. It's very similar to C25K, this will be my second year helping as a mentor. It's a very rewarding experience, can't wait to help/encourage/cheer on some new runners.

MT, hope you get the hammy under control.

Zel, I like MT's thoughts on your pacing concerns. I think he is spot on. I wouldn't adjust the paces too much either.

Zelanie

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes sense to me.  My 1600s in tomorrow's plan are supposed to be 1 sec/lap slower than 8K-10K goal pace, which is at its fastest would be a very slow "cruise interval" according to McMillan.  Pfitz is pretty specific about the pace he's calling for, so I think I'll go with it.

Mitch, I'm glad you're helping with the program again!  I think I remember you posting about it last year when I was a newbie.

So here's today's challenge....to try bringing back intervals or not. If not, when.  Twice while recovering, I've re-damaged the hamstring by running hard.  There's no warning....just a slight cramp feeling then in a step or two at most...bam, pain like a knife plunged into the muscle, as it tears.

After two fairly ok weeks of easy miles (30 and 38 mi weeks), I've got to get back into some quality workouts, can't keep just jogging along. The dilemma is when.

Just pondering out loud.....hmm.

Andy, are you doing anything (strength stuff) other than running right now to get your legs back under you? Totally an "if it were me" (and I know it's not), but I'd still hold off on anything faster for a while longer, while working in two days a week probably of strength in addition to the easy miles. My ankle/hip/foot stuff that I held on to for a long time seems to have really taken a turn for the better recently - I started incorporating the pretty simple Pfitzinger strength cycles from Adv. marathoning back in December and have been religious with it every week. So for the legs, that's really just squats, lunges, step ups, x2 twice a week (plus the upper body stuff, which I'm sure indirectly helps the legs with stabilizing stuff).

Anyway, non scientific and anecdotal, but there you go. Fast healing, brother...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  Zelanie

And now I see why he had the paces so "slow" for this week's intervals.   It was a gift.  I was very happy that I didn't have to run any faster than that today.  I ran 4 x 1mi. with a target pace of 8:45.  Fast miles were 8:39, 8:39, 8:40, 8:41, total of 8 with warmup, cooldown, and recoveries.

So now I have another question.  My plan calls for two tune-up races, 8-10K, plus a 4mi. time trial.  I ran a 5K for the TT, and of course last weekend's 10mi. instead of the 10K race.  Next week would theoretically be my last tuneup race, but I have no intention of racing again before my HM.

So what should I substitute for that week's tuneup race?  It's listed as our LT workout for the week.  Some options:

A. 8 mi. with 6 at HMP

B. 2 x 3 @ 10K pace

C. 5 mi tempo

Thoughts?

an amazing likeness

A. 8 mi. with 6 at HMP

B. 2 x 3 @ 10K pace

C. 5 mi tempo

Thoughts?

I'd favor either A or B, depending on what you think would benefit you most based on your current training.  If leg speed and turnover work is where you want to focus -- pick B.  If getting more comfortable running steady-state at HM effort is where you'd want to focus, pick A.

I'd probably lean towards A because I like the 8 - 10mi run as a HM training staple and intervals pound my legs a bit more than steady-state work (because I'm tubby), but I'd make it a game-day call on the day of the workout.

an amazing likeness

Andy, are you doing anything (strength stuff) other than running right now to get your legs back under you?

Good advice, Kevin. I am.  I have a 3 x per week strength routine I've been working for a few months. Results are looking good lately -- one example...early on good leg = 40lb x 12 reps x 2, bad leg = 5lb x 3-4 reps total.  Now up to bad leg = 30 lb x 12 reps x 2.  The muscle is definitely healing and regenerating.

Cool. I had a feeling a smart guy like you was doing something like that. Nice work. I'd still err on side of more healing and regen before speed - easier said than done though.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

MT good work on the rehab, and if you are tubby who is that pictured in your profile?

Nice when it feels easy, isn't it Zelanie?

Tried something new today, about 10 miles total: 2 miles warmup, 1600 interval, 2 miles slow jog, another 1600, another 2 mile slow jog, another 1600, and about a mile cool down.

The 1600s were measured and timed by Garmin, and the piece of road had a slight downhill, so not as precise as doing it on a track. I was aiming to run the 1600s in 7:00 each and managed 6:58, 7:09 and 7:08, so not far off, but probably a bit ambitious as I was pretty breathless after each one!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

Zel, I like option "A"

5 miles yesterday and 7 this afternoon.

I haven't posted in march  yet... I'm working through a modified Ryan Hall plan with some rest weeks thrown in. The speed intervals of the first few weeks ( 5 or 7x 1/2 mile at 10k pace) were challenging and legs were a bit cranky. Longest run this cycle is 12. Taking a rest week this week which works with the spring snow - I may sneak in a n easy 10 miler if the streets are passable on Sunday.   I still have a few weeks before  I achieve a 30 mile week which is optimal for me.

Zelanie - your progress is amazing, I'm still really slow, and Milk - I'm glad to see you are healing up. Isn't the Lincolnville Maine half this weekend?

happy Thursday, A

Recalculating...