Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 60 times)

an amazing likeness

Isn't the Lincolnville Maine half this weekend?

Actually...looks like it might have been a 'once and done' event. They had to move this year from Cellardoor Winery in Lincolnville to Hope for unstated reasons, but all looked ok -- they had registration and then after a few weeks announced a cancellation due to not enough runners. I do think a lot of runners were holding off sign-up waiting to see what was going on with the weather and if winter was going to break in time.

Then...they had a unofficial, untimed 13.1 mile run on the planned race day with after party at the host pub.  So that sounds like the had a permit problem. Hmm..shrug.

Next up for down here is Race the Runways half in Brunswick in a week or two. I may do it as a test and then decide on Halifax again.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

daneda

Got an easy 7 miles in yesterday afternoon and 5 in tonight.  It was pretty windy and cool today, but the wind had died down a bit by the time I got out... It made for a nice, chilly run this evening.

MT - I'm a little delayed in responding, but I'd wait a little longer before getting back into speedwork... Just to be sure.  Actually *I* wouldn't wait, because I'm impatient with things like that, but from the outside looking in, waiting seems like the safer alternative...  Hoping for speedy recovery, whatever you choose...

zel - I'm in the camp voting for exercise "A".

Zelanie

Simon- Nice run!  Did you feel that the last intervals were more difficult because you'd run more miles total by the time you got to the last one?

Ayola- Thanks!  I don't think it's speed that I've gained this training cycle as much as endurance and ability to recover, and that mostly comes from building mileage.  Have a long run and a medium long run every week helps too.

me- I think I've decided on a modified option "A".  I got the rest of the workouts between now and my race plugged in, and realized that the week after next already has 10K pace intervals.  So I decided to do a progression- 2 mile warm-up, 3 miles "old" HM pace (9:09ish), 2.5 miles "new" HM pace (8:45), 0.5 miles cool down.  Just that and the intervals the following week are the only speedwork I have left!  Schedule looks a little funky since I need to fit in a wedding and out of town trip between now and then too, and don't want to ditch family who I haven't seen in months too much just to go running.

Zelanie

Double post, sorry.

hog4life

I got in a good run this afternoon, probably the best since my half. 7.05 miles with 8x400's @ 6:45 with 400 recoveries and then 5x100 hill sprints, hill is 6% grade(I think). Just 2 weeks till my next half and I have a 5k next weekend too. Need to get ready for work, last night this week, and one more week of nights, then back to "normal" rotation.

Actually...looks like it might have been a 'once and done' event. They had to move this year from Cellardoor Winery in Lincolnville to Hope for unstated reasons, but all looked ok -- they had registration and then after a few weeks announced a cancellation due to not enough runners. I do think a lot of runners were holding off sign-up waiting to see what was going on with the weather and if winter was going to break in time.

Then...they had a unofficial, untimed 13.1 mile run on the planned race day with after party at the host pub.  So that sounds like the had a permit problem. Hmm..shrug.

Next up for down here is Race the Runways half in Brunswick in a week or two. I may do it as a test and then decide on Halifax again.

Oh well... I'll have to check in with my Belfast runners on that one - it is an iffy time of year for an HM in that area.

Zelanie: you are spot on. quality of recovery is the best measure of a good running week.

For me, I'm reducing that 10 miler to an easy 8 miles tomorrow after a day of kitchen demolition at home.

happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

4 easy miles with the pup.

Good work everyone!

Yes, Zelanie, I felt a bit more tired later on, especially the last.

Good run today, 13 miles in about 2 hours, but I really had a scare!

I was about 8 miles into my run, along a wide two lane paved road. This road is mostly straight, close tro home, am\nd has a 3-4 foot wide pedestrian/bike lane each side, marked by a solid white line. I was running facing traffic, which I do about half of the time, usually.

A group of three vehicles approached, the first two passing fairly close but not uncomfortably so. The third, a black SUV, was coming straight at me. For just a moment I thought some idiot was trying to scare me and thought that was funny- asshat!

But the next moment it was dangerously close, I jumped out of the way turninmg sideways like a bullfighter, the mirror brushing my jacket. I was furious and immediately looked down for a rock to throw, there wasn't one so I turned to get the license plate number, but it was too late. Then to my amazemant the brake lights and turn signal came on and it pulled over. I started running towards the truck intent on killing the driver with my bare hands- with my skinny runner's physique, being tired from running 8 miles and being 62 years old this was not a good idea. Adrenaline, in my experience, is better for action, not so good for analysis and judgement...I stopped when it occurred to me the windows were tinted and there could be two or three guys inside.

A woman jumped out and started running towards me yelling"I'm so sorry! Are you ok?"  I was still very angry and wanted to hit someone or kick in the doors of her car, but reason was starting to take over. I asked what the hell she was doing and she just said she looked down and lost concentration, reading between the lines she was probably sending a text message. There was nothing to be said and I just turned away and continued my run.

Lesson: take NOTHING for granted, run facing traffic always.

Be safe guys!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Glad you are alright, Simon. That was too close!! I would have been enraged as you were, but not sure I coulda shaken it off so easily.

I always run facing traffic since a runner in my community (a dozen years ago) was hit from behind and got both legs broken.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys!

Sigh.  I never seem to catch up here.  I've had quite a few eventful weeks.  Between vacation, a marathon, a severe asthma bout, trials, and a kitty in the hospital, I've had no chance to check in here.  Hoping to take my kitty out of the hospital tomorrow.  I even missed my first ultra taking care of her.

Hope everybody is doing great.  I for one want to see this week over since all of that happened this week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Scary!  Unfortunately, it happens to me 1-2 a week.  Stupid drivers and their cellphones or them looking at who knows what, everything except you.  Glad you are OK.

Good work everyone!

Yes, Zelanie, I felt a bit more tired later on, especially the last.

Good run today, 13 miles in about 2 hours, but I really had a scare!

I was about 8 miles into my run, along a wide two lane paved road. This road is mostly straight, close tro home, am\nd has a 3-4 foot wide pedestrian/bike lane each side, marked by a solid white line. I was running facing traffic, which I do about half of the time, usually.

A group of three vehicles approached, the first two passing fairly close but not uncomfortably so. The third, a black SUV, was coming straight at me. For just a moment I thought some idiot was trying to scare me and thought that was funny- asshat!

But the next moment it was dangerously close, I jumped out of the way turninmg sideways like a bullfighter, the mirror brushing my jacket. I was furious and immediately looked down for a rock to throw, there wasn't one so I turned to get the license plate number, but it was too late. Then to my amazemant the brake lights and turn signal came on and it pulled over. I started running towards the truck intent on killing the driver with my bare hands- with my skinny runner's physique, being tired from running 8 miles and being 62 years old this was not a good idea. Adrenaline, in my experience, is better for action, not so good for analysis and judgement...I stopped when it occurred to me the windows were tinted and there could be two or three guys inside.

A woman jumped out and started running towards me yelling"I'm so sorry! Are you ok?"  I was still very angry and wanted to hit someone or kick in the doors of her car, but reason was starting to take over. I asked what the hell she was doing and she just said she looked down and lost concentration, reading between the lines she was probably sending a text message. There was nothing to be said and I just turned away and continued my run.

Be safe guys!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Simon- I'm so glad you're OK!  How terrifying!

hog4life

Simon, yikes! Glad you are okay.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I did 5 miles yesterday and they sucked a lot.  My kitty is so depressed at the hospital and she does not want to eat.  Hoping she will feel better once at home.  I hope that is today.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

an amazing likeness

Be safe guys!

Simon -- I was holding my breath reading this and so relieved to get to the end as you reported it, versus the alternative of being hit by the car. I know from my experience that people just do not understand how much damage a runner vs car incident can inflict. It's downright scary.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.