Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers & Trainers - Nov 10 & 11 (Read 244 times)

an amazing likeness

Our calendar has quite a variety of plans for this weekend's racers. 

If I'm remembering correctly, lagwagon is aiming for a sub 1:30 half marathon. That's a sub-7 average pace. Wow!

Cheechf16 joined RA this fall, planning on running a first-ever half marathon, but doesn't seem to have been active on RA for a while...so no idea if that's still in the works.

MrRipper has a good looking half marathon training plan in his RA log leading up to this weekend....but no entries since Oct 31...so again, no idea if race plans are on or off.

I'm heading down to Portsmouth NH for a race that has about 1200 runners. I've run this race once before (2010) and remember it as beautiful course along sections of marsh and ocean, and old NH villages. I do remember that the course starts with about 1 mi downhill and you have to come back up  the same route and climb to the finish. (lollipop shaped course)  One of the RDs (and I think creator) for this race is 'coastwalker' here on RA - he's a race walker, and very fast (like 11/min miles).

Nov 10 lagwagon Trenton Half 13.1 mi Trenton, NJ
    Nov 11 MrRipper Rock n Roll San Antonio 13.1 mi San Antonio, TX
    Nov 11 cheechf16 Pensacola Half 13.1 mi Pensacola, FL
    Nov 11 MilkTruck Seacoast Half 13.1 mi Portsmouth, NH

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Hope you all have great races!

Sounds like a great course for you MT! Just zone out for the hill at the finish and think about how good you will feel afterwards Smile

HappyFeat

Good luck to our racers! Run fast and strong!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hope all the racers are ready and make it to the start line, knowing the course is a big plus in terms of correct pacing, even the wind can be a factor. Good luck to all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

I peeked at your result, MT. You must be happy with your result - great finish time, top 10% - Yay!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

I peeked at your result, MT. You must be happy with your result - great finish time, top 10% - Yay!

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  Great weather for a race -- cloudy and low 50's, with just a bit of breeze. Course was as pretty and interesting as I remember.  Stunning ocean views out over concrete grey sky over rolling green seas and whitecaps, old village sections, salt marsh sections. And...it was FLAT...just steady gentle rollers and some sharper sections...but what a relief after all the last few hill monster half marathons. Nice.

I posted a 1:42:07 time for the race, not one of my top times...but I'm pleased with it in two dimensions....first - I've had three consecutive 50+ mile weeks heading into the weekend, so ran this race without any cutback and didn't really have any pop in the legs, and second,  I aimed for even effort the whole race, and ran the race distance with no fade.  Nice even splits:

miles 1 - 5 were:     7:43, 7:46, 7:33, 7:41, 7:42

miles 6 - 10:             7:48, 7:51 (lack of focus?), 7:38, 7:41, 7:40

miles 10-13:             7:40, 7:44, 7:40

The series of 7:40 splits from 10 onward weren't super fast, but they came at the point where lots of folks were starting to fade, so I was steadily picking off runners at this point which made the miles click by easier than usual at the end.

This is a well organized race with a great course, good on-course services, and good post-race location. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a half in the NH area. The only downsides are the course runs "long", you can't run this course and come close to 13.1 or 13.2 miles...so whatever pace you're actually running will be much faster than the results (I ran 7:41 avg on my gps versus 7:48 official), and you're taking chances with the weather in mid-November.

Sooo that's only a 23 min 5k at the end of a half? Slacker! Joking

Great race Andy solid performance. Where's it going to be in December?

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

vegefrog

Great job Andy!!

I hope you are still planning to come to Kiawah! Would love to meet you Smile

You can help me celebrate after I get my Sub-4 hour marathon. Hahaha.

Well done, MT!

I think a good taper is worth at least 3% so you probably could have got below 1:40 if rested. Nice race.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

I think a good taper is worth at least 3% so you probably could have got below 1:40 if rested. Nice race.

Even with a taper heading in, not sure I have the leg speed to get below 1:40 right now Simon. I need to do more speed work (tempo and interval) and get mentally tougher....I'm not able to keep my focus and push on when my legs start complaining about the pace.

I hope you are still planning to come to Kiawah! Would love to meet you Smile

You can help me celebrate after I get my Sub-4 hour marathon. Hahaha.

Sadly...I'm not going to be able to swing Kiawah this year on 12/8, VF. I was *very* eager to get to Charleston for some sightseeing and the race, and the unexpected icing on the cake of running with you -- unfortunately that weekend conflicts with a larger family event and they just weren't willing to change for my silly race plan.

Sooo that's only a 23 min 5k at the end of a half? Slacker! Joking

Great race Andy solid performance. Where's it going to be in December?

Thanks, Matt -- I did some lolligagging in the 10 - 11 split just trying to save energy, so you're right.

After scrambling a bit and searching options...just registered a few minutes ago for Annapolis Half on 12/1 in Annapolis, MD.  This race looks to have been a fiasco last year...short course, timing problems, using a 8ft bike path as part of an out-and-back section with 3500 runners. Yikes! Hope this year is better.