Half Marathon Trainers

SHIIIIIINS (Read 404 times)

Allright, so I'm supposed to start my actual HM training next week (I'm using a 16 week RW Smart Coach plan). Only problem is my shins kill! I looked at my log and it seems like last week they started. I didn't do my long run this weekend, and I've pretty much been just doing the elliptical for my mileage this week. I'm scared that the second I start running next week I won't be healed. I'm getting custom orthotics in a couple of weeks as a last effort. I am bow legged and flat footed, so I need something for my arches. I try to take every other day off, or at least follow an easy day by a hard day. The pain seems to get worse as I run and not better as I warm up. Even after doing 30 min on the elliptical (Which doesn't hurt BTW), I run and they still hurt, though you'd think I'd be warmed up. I use Biofreeze (like Ben Gay), stretch, do good warm ups/cool downs, ice and massage. What should I do? Shoes? Quit? Oh no, wait...that's not an option. Cry
    Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
      Hi Kate, Shin pain is frustrating... Looks like from your log you've had a week or two of lots of two in a row days... you're right, every other day will help that. I just finished Chi Running and though many of the ideas made me kind of sore, the author says that shin splints are a function of over striding... concentrate on faster turnover instead of longer strides when you want to shift to a tempo pace. And always - grass or trails helps the shins, if you can find those kinds of runs. Good luck, Marcus

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Have a running speciality shop take a look at your gait and stride. You may have the wrong shoes.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

My dh has been having a lot of shin troubles. We heard that a lot of shin issues are related to arch issues. That really makes sense in dh's case because his new Mizuno's don't seem to offer the same support that his old Brooks' did. A trainer suggested that until he gets orthotics or other shoes, he wrap athletic tape around his foot when running. So far it's working. Into the second week of HM training and no pain. Before the pain would be back within a mile or two. Teresa
            Thanks for the advice! I could definately improve my stride, so overstriding may be an issue. I know that I have quite flat feet, so it is encouraging to hear that the orthotics might help. For now I'll tape my foot, never thought about that! Thanks guys Smile
            Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
            bas

Orthotics helped me - if I understand the word right. I have been given custom made inner soles to help me against an Achilles tendon issue. After a month it feels much better. Hope something like this works for you too. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Hi, I see that you are using the Asics 1110. Shocked I've had the same problem. Also being bow-legged and flat footed, I tried all sorts of shoes, even ortotics, but nothing seemed to work. The Asics 1110 was TERRIBLE for my action. I found that a shoe like the Brooks Radius 6 (Neutral) had more support than the Asics 1110 (Support). I'm now on the Asics Evolution. Just did a marathon and training eith it, without ANY shin pain. I think you should DEFINITELY look at a MOTION CONTROL SHOE. Brooks Trance or Asics Evolution is good. Hope it help! Desmond