Half Marathon Trainers

Motivation (Read 312 times)

Jacob Fern

Hey, I've decided to try out a half marathon for the first time... it's going to be quite an experience, since the longest I've ever done is a 5k. Do you have any suggestions to keep motivated and continue training? I live in Montana, and it's mighty hard to get out and run through the snow (and lately, slush).
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When is the race you're looking at? I did my first HM about 7 months after I started running. I just kept increasing my mileage 5-10% every week until a couple of weeks before the race, then I started a taper. 2 weeks before the race I did a 13.5 mile run, so I felt really ready. I ran it basically for a benchmark, so now I want to beat my time for the same HM race next year. I was running about 30 miles/week before the race, divided between 4-5 runs/week. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jacob Fern

the race is on the last weekend in february... so far, i've just been trying to keep consistant, and i'm trying to stay around 30 miles/wk. or more
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like you are on the right track. Boy, I kind of wish there were some HMs in our area before next Fall. I'm itchin' to do another one sooner. Closest thing is a 25k in mid-May (Fifth-Third Riverbank Run...largest 25k in the nation). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hey, I am going to do my first half too! Last summer, I had only been running for 1 year and put my sights on a marathon. Needless to say, I not only burned out but ended up with a bad knee injury. This year I'm back at it, but with a more sensible goal of a half marathon in May. My best advice would be to keep it fun and go really gradual. The more relaxed look out I have on my workouts, the more I want to do them. And keep things mixed up, that should keep your interest. Good Luck!!
            Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
              You two are on the right track! Find a running group (or some virtual cheerleaders like us!) I know it's a lot harder for me to turn off early if there's someone else out there.. :-)
              Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
              Jacob Fern

it would be great if i had someone to run with... i've been bugging some other people to join me, but they all just look at me like i'm crazy (who in their right mind would run in winter??) Wink
                  Check with your local running club. Ours has informal group runs scheduled 3 or 4 times a week. A few of us even got together to run on Christmas Eve nad New Year's Day. We've run in the snow and ice and in temperatures of 5 below zero F. Even if you're not a member, you can probably still find some people to run with. Our group also has a forum on their webpage for runners to connect with other people to work out with. There's a bunch of us crazy people out there. You just have to know where to look for them. Wink Teresa