Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - Feb 11 (Read 528 times)

Weather is a funny thing- no matter what you have you always want something else!

I should imagine if it was 72 F and sunny we would all be hoping for a good rainstorm...

True!... but I can't complain right now. Smile

We've got some lovely weather in the day here. 60F and light winds. The great thing being, right now work is slow so I am running in that type of weather at lunchtime as opposed to the 30F we have in the morning!

I have built my weekly mileage up to over 25milws/week again and have my first race of the year on Saturday. It's only a 10k and I won't be setting any PRs but I had in on the calendar to keep me motivated and if it goes OK I'll put a HM on the calendar as the next race.

Looks like a few folks are racing this weekend:

Mandy - I saw your posts in the "90 min thread". Are you still on target for the sub 90 attempt in Wellington this w/e?

nzrun - looks like you are putting in some great mileage... ready to go?

Peter - did you do your HM? How did it go?

Vixi - Racing this weekend too?

Simon/Meg - keep on trucking springs-a-coming!

Good luck to those of you racing this weekend.... come back and tell us how you got on. Happy trails to the rest of you!

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Peter - did you do your HM? How did it go?

I did race on Sunday-the Palm Springs Half Marathon (can't complain about weather there-started a 'cold' 50ish and finished probably a bit over 60). It went OK, which is to say that I couldn't realistically have expected to do any better, but it was still my slowest HM by about 10 seconds. I paced myself as well as I've ever done in a race. In fact, just going by my Garmin I was on goal pace, but the Garmin was off. I can't use that as an excuse though as I had plenty of mile markers to tell me the truth.

Overall I learned a few things and have set myself up for my real goal race, which is May 1 (Orange County Half).

Hi Matt

I'm still planning to give 90 mins a shot on Sunday but to be honest I'd rate my chances as low to very low.  I think 1.31 - 1.32 is more likely.  

Weather forecast is good (warm but not hot, with light northerlies) and I'm feeling good - no injuries, a good training period behind me, long runs going very well - so no excuses one way or the other Smile

Thanks for thinking of me - all positive vibes welcome over the weekend!!

10k in the books.

It was a weird course and wickedly windy.

(side note: that looks weird written down. I mean the wind was really blowing not that the course was winding around all over the place!)

Kind of "J" shaped (map here)

1.1 mile with a 25MPH wind at your back..

0.5 miles with a 25MPH wind in your face..

turnaround

0.5 miles with a 25MPH wind at your back..

1.1 mile with a 25MPH wind in your face.

.... and that's 5k, so now do it again!

I think it's the windiest I have ever run in let alone "raced" in! Probably affected my time a little but today was just a race to put on the calendar to keep me motivated. Official race results not out yet but my garmin (which was surprisingly accurate today) had me at 56:36 (9:06/mi).

The goal for this race was to get back out there and get round in under 2 hour HM pace (56:59 or 9:08/mi), which I did. Smile

Felt good with this 10k under my belt and training seems to be going OK so I've entered the National HM in DC in a few weeks time.

Will shoot for sub 2 hours there.

Mandy's up in an hour or so..... go get 'em! Cool

MTA: Official time: 56:49, still OK Wink

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Good job, Matt! There is no doubt wind slows you down as you never gain as much when its behind you as you lose facing the wind. Try it on a bike  and you will agree!

Go Mandy! Fantastic pace goal you have set yourself.

I tried a 1000m time trial yesterday and was disappointed it took me just a couple of seconds under 4 minutes. Well I have been slacking off, and have done no speedwork, but I am hoping to break 45 minutes for 10k by the end of April, and that`s not going to do the job!

Back to work....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

1.32.16 - a new PR by just under a minute.  7th woman.  Good race.  I felt strong pretty much all the way through, and worked hard to get through the occasional bad patch. Happy.

Well done, you trained hard and earned it!

Personally, I would have cut back the last long run you did before the race, obviously different people react differently to tapering.

My legs would not have been fresh after that, but I have never done the volume of training you do and I am much older.

Thanks Simon!  Yes I'd totally agree with you if this was my main target race, but I'm training for the NZ Marathon Champs in 10 weeks time and the long runs have been taking priority.  I probably did still have that long run in my legs, especially with the 5k race on Tuesday as well - which was a bit stupid but I felt I needed a confidence boost.  I guess I really can't do everything!! Roll eyes

Turned 60 today- new age group! I am looking forward to beating up on those old geezers.

Not only that but I should start getting  seniors discounts now.

Happy Birthday Simon.

And nice racing, Matt and Mandy.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I have huge respect from a guy i knew last year that ran 2x 1:38's. Where did he go!!??

I have lost so much speed!!!  I can't even run 5km at my half marathon pace now Disapprove

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

I have huge respect from a guy i knew last year that ran 2x 1:38's. Where did he go!!??

I have lost so much speed!!!  I can't even run 5km at my half marathon pace now Disapprove

You'll be back in no time vino.  Get training!

Happy (belated) birthday Simon

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Getting back on the bike.  Work has exploded with earthquake...just crazy.......plenty of time. not planning on running another hm until winter/ spring...easy does it hehe

Trying to run at least every 2nd day at the monent and then step it up more next month :-)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Hope all you Kiwis are ok! What a disaster....

5 miles progression run yesterday, last kilometre in 5:07.

Just over 11 miles today, Garmin in my pocket so I did nmot look at it until I stopped- and so ran a little faster than I had intended, but not too bad.

Rest tomorrow as it is a long day at work.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Simon

Thankfully Auckland is well safe and in theory one of the least earthquake prone regions of the country.  All we can look forward to is a volcano blowing its top or something....lets hope not!

8km tonight, rather painful but I did it at least. Still havent chosen an event.  Was invited to do a 22km off road next weekend but I seriously doubt I will.  just not in good enough shape to enjoy it

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: