Half Marathon Trainers

haf marthon trainers week of Jan. 7th (Read 674 times)

Prince of Fatness

Off day yesterday. This evening I have 5 miles scheduled. It's raining here in NJ right now but they are calling for it to be over by the time I go out. I have something going on Sunday morning so I will need to get my long run in tomorrow morning. Looks like I will get to about 35 miles this week. Temps have been great this week. I'll take it while I can get it. Good runs all.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Rest day for me today & I needed it after the hectic day I had at work. Tomorrow was supposed to be a run day but I have a fitness evaluation scheduled so we will just have to see how it all pans out. GO PACKERS!!!!! wbertha

Beatin' on the Rock

I was psyched to finally get to a 20 mile week this week when I got sick. The cold is better, but not gone. If I make up my long run tomorrow, and do 4 on Sunday, I'll still make it... Why is that 20 MPW such a HUGE milestone for me? Anybody else?
        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
        cjfournier51207

Hello everyone, I'm new to this and didn't realize what this site had until someone told me there are forums for half marathon trainers. I run every other day 3 miles and on the opposite days 2 miles with my husband. On one of the weekend days, I run 5 miles. I just started trail running once again and absolutely loved it. Please suggest if I need any help in accomplishing my short term goal. I want to be able to do it by June. Blush Peace out cjfournier
            Welcome cjfournier! Nice to hear from Marflair, a name I recognise from CR. Teresa, I wanted to ask you about the significance of the elephant photo-i grew up in Africa, my daughter was born in Zimbabwe and still lives there. Was that photo taken in Zim by any chance? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

wbertha

Great to hear from everyone. I am also a person who views a 20MPW as a big deal. Last week, only got in 18 miles and it made me feel like I hadn't done what I should. Will need 6 tomorrow to hit 20 for this week and don't think that is going to be possible due to a family commitment. Did 4 this morning on the treadmill at the gym. Anyone ever had the "body age" fitness evaluation? Should I be pleased or disappointed that my fitness age matches my chronological age? wbertha
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome cjfournier! Nice to hear from Marflair, a name I recognise from CR. Teresa, I wanted to ask you about the significance of the elephant photo-i grew up in Africa, my daughter was born in Zimbabwe and still lives there. Was that photo taken in Zim by any chance? Simon.
                Cool, Simon! I got to go to South Africa in November, 2005. My dad's friend is a professor who organizes safaris in his spare time. He arranged everything, and did all the cooking for my parents, two sons, and me. We spent 4 days in Kruger National Park, where I took that photo. The elephant got a little too close for comfort, but we didn't want to start the van in case we spooked him. The reason I went was that I had asked my parents their favorite place in the world. My dad has lectured everywhere, including Japan, Russia, China, Australia, New Zealand, England, Switzerland, etc., etc. Both of them said South Africa! This was their 6th trip over there. After going, I can see why they feel that way. What a beautiful country! I didn't expect the variation in landscape, either - who knew that there are mountains with pine trees in SA?? And Cape Town was unbelievably gorgeous, with the mountains shooting up out of the turquoise water. We saw 10 right whales, including a baby with its mother, just off shore in Hermanis. I liked it so much that this coming November my parents and I will be taking my 10-year-old daughter over there. We may venture outside of SA - I would love to go to Zimbabwe! How old were you when you moved away from Africa? Do you get to go back occasionally? I'm already wondering how I will get my runs in! The sports camps we stayed in were pretty small, and you certainly can't run outside the fences! I don't think I want to race a cheetah quite yet.
                ohanapecosh

Hi everyone, I have a half marathon in mid-April (Whidbey Island). Anyway, I'll probably mostly lurk but really enjoy reading about everyone's runs! 6 miles today, pushed it in an attempt to keep up with the boyfriend. It's my longest run in a while. Jennifer
                  wbertha

pinwheel, nice run. Wish that I had pushed mine to that distance. However, only got in a 4 miler on the treadmill. Ended the week with 18...2 miles short again this week and next week already looks like it will be very hard to get in runs. Sometimes work just seems to get in the way of running. wbertha
                    Regina

I completed the week with a long run of 24 k on Saturday and 10.5 k on Sunday. So I ran 6 x and in total 65 k this week. I'm planning to stay at that level also this week, 5 runs and about 60 k. Rest day today!
                        I am new around here, and still fairly new to running (been running less then a year) I am training for my first HM in Feb. This past week: Tuesday: 6 miles easy Thursday: 3 miles hard Saturday: 14 miles easy (OK - it was hard Smile - the first 14 miler I have ever done) That puts me at 23 miles for the week - whooo hooo! I think that is the best week I have ever had!
                        "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                        My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
                          Welcome Tim, good job on the 23 mile week! Regina, 60k per week is really going to get you in shape, when is your race? Teresa thanks for the reply to my question. I lived in Africa till the age of 20, and have been back a couple of times, I will be 57 next month so it was some time ago; the country was still called Rhodesia after Cecil John Rhodes the explorer and diamond mine discoverer. My son went there in May 2006 for his first visit and loved the outdoor way of life, though he was sick of elephants by the time he left. There is an over-population of them in Zimbabwe, damaging the baobab trees with their tusks among other problems. RSA is very beautiful and as you say a varied topography, farmland, desert, mountains, beaches. Back to running! (Sorry about the hijack, wbertha!) Heel feels a bit better so I will try it out tomorrow. I am sure I have lost a lot of my fitness from doing so little this month. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Hi, everyone. New here too. New to running--I've been running less than a year and have been stacking my first races of every kind close together--first 5K 12/1, first 10K 12/15. I like the 20 mile weeks too. That's the best part of these weeks as my HM gets closer--these long long runs make it easy to get to 20! You know what I'm talking about, right, Brad? I don't know what I'm going to do when the temps here in South Florida get to be in the 90s by 8 o'clock--I'll probably never have a 20-mile week between April and September. How dare life get in the way of running, right, Bertha? Smile I did my first full-length 13.2-mile run this weekend and finished in 2:07. Rest day yesterday; did 4.5 today on the treadmill--knee still a little sore. My race is the A1A Half in Fort Lauderdale on February 17. Everybody else? Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

wbertha

Welcome to everyone!!! Per a suggestion, we will continue on this thread for the month of January if that is okay with everyone. Rest day for me today. Am determined to get back to the 20 or 20+ mpw...it just may not be this week. But it looks doable for next week. I enjoyed the talk of Africa and didn't feel that the thread was hijacked at all. Hey, this thread is for everyone. And once in while we even get around to discussing running. Shocked wbertha

Prince of Fatness

5.23 this evening with wet snow falling. It wasn't bad at all. The last 10 weeks have been between 32 and 36 miles. I plan on keeping that going for 3 or 4 more weeks then increase the mileage up into the 40s in preparation for my half the end of April. So far the weather here in NJ has cooperated this winter. Let's hope it continues.

Not at it at all.